Michigan Transfer Class of 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
starchinkilt

Bronze

Re: Michigan Transfer Class of 2013

Post by starchinkilt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:14 pm

SUNY Buffalo here. I'm just living in LC. I won't have a car and don't really have time to go find an apartment in Ann Arbor with work.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:08 pm

Just visited ann arbor today. I'm in! Anybody have any insight into housing? The places I looked at today were kind of dingy and not really close to the law school. Not looking to spend a fortune either. PM me if you're looking for a roommate.

Chiglaw

New

Post by Chiglaw » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Barring hearing from NU or UChi, I'm in. Coming from Chicago and looking for an apartment relatively close to campus since I have no car. Perhaps the mentors could give some housing advice?

Btw, the enrollment deposit form isn't binding, is it?

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:13 am

coming from wisconsin and living in the LC barring it being full by the time i get my admit packet. anyone who has spoken to them recently know how open they are? i know it's crazy, but i sincerely miss living in a dorm.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:31 am

tww909 wrote:coming from wisconsin and living in the LC barring it being full by the time i get my admit packet. anyone who has spoken to them recently know how open they are? i know it's crazy, but i sincerely miss living in a dorm.
They had 2-3 spots for guys about a week ago. I'd call admissions asap mon morning and ask for your UMID and then call LC (734.764.1116) asap monday morning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JRD

New

Post by JRD » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm definitely going, coming from Michigan State. When're you all showing up to Ann Arbor, considering EIW is like August 23rd and I'm assuming that LC doesn't have move it till afterward?

Not sure if someone mentioned it, but I'm thinking that transfers meeting up before EIW or around then to get to know eachother would be awesome.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 pm

JRD wrote:I'm definitely going, coming from Michigan State. When're you all showing up to Ann Arbor, considering EIW is like August 23rd and I'm assuming that LC doesn't have move it till afterward?

Not sure if someone mentioned it, but I'm thinking that transfers meeting up before EIW or around then to get to know eachother would be awesome.
I'll be moving into LC the 22nd in the morning (they have early move-in). Kind of a tight schedule squeeze but oh well. Yeah, a meetup around EIW sounds great. I'm sure we all can plan something as it gets closer to EIW.

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:44 pm

I am struggling with the decision of whether or not to live in LC. I talked to the lady on the phone on Friday and filled out an app (or something) and I'm supposed to give her an answer by tomorrow.

Pros:
Location location location
FURNITURE (praise jesus)
The meal plan
That intangible sense of community
The less bills each month I have to worry about the better

Cons:
Lots of 1Ls
Breaks down to about $1100/month all told -- kind of expensive? I'm not totally knowledgeable on the average COL in AA, and where that would fit on the scale
Communal bathrooms -__-
Only runs til May, so you'd have to clear your shit out before SAing somewhere and then move it back in again (prob. somewhere else unless you're super keen about living in LC as a 3L) come August 2012

Any thoughts?

lawstudento

New

Post by lawstudento » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:20 pm

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:I am struggling with the decision of whether or not to live in LC. I talked to the lady on the phone on Friday and filled out an app (or something) and I'm supposed to give her an answer by tomorrow.

Pros:
FURNITURE (praise jesus)
The meal plan

Cons:
Lots of 1Ls
Breaks down to about $1100/month all told -- kind of expensive? I'm not totally knowledgeable on the average COL in AA, and where that would fit on the scale
Communal bathrooms -__-
Only runs til May, so you'd have to clear your shit out before SAing somewhere and then move it back in again (prob. somewhere else unless you're super keen about living in LC as a 3L) come August 2012

Any thoughts?
It seems to be a bit spendy for the area but for how much easier the logistics will be, I think it's worth it. I'll move off-campus for 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Despite the logistics I personally don’t think I could deal with living in a dorm but I see why others might. But I plan to have a car.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:34 pm

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:I am struggling with the decision of whether or not to live in LC. I talked to the lady on the phone on Friday and filled out an app (or something) and I'm supposed to give her an answer by tomorrow.

Pros:
FURNITURE (praise jesus)
The meal plan

Cons:
Lots of 1Ls
Communal bathrooms -__-

Any thoughts?
You can look for places with leases that start in May for 3L.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:20 pm

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:unless you're super keen about living in LC as a 3L) come August 2012
The LC will be closed for renovations during the 2012-13 school year.

I highly recommend it for 1Ls, not as sure for 2Ls.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Is there a particular building that most of the 2L's are living at or is everyone just spead out all over Ann Arbor? Also are there any places that are objectively nicer then others?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sjsharkfan

New

Post by sjsharkfan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:01 pm

i'm a bit late to this thread but i'm also in for next year. coming from california and i don't know when i'm going to have time to look at places to live. i'd be interested in having a roommate or 2; pm me if interested. i'm a male but no preference as to male/female roommate. i've just been looking on craigslist for apartments/rooms.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:55 am

keg411 wrote:Is there a particular building that most of the 2L's are living at or is everyone just spead out all over Ann Arbor? Also are there any places that are objectively nicer then others?
Lol, no the 2Ls do not live in the same building. Most people are sharing houses or apts within walking distance of campus. Some people live a bus ride away but that's to save money, not because it's preferable.

As far as "nice" places, that is a crapshoot like anywhere. Some landlords are slumlords and some keep their places in good shape. Unless it's an expensive apt or there are lots of pics online, you have to see it for yourself.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks. Coming from a school with all of one liveable apartment building close to school is making the housing thing a bit tricky.

Also what would be considered expensive for Ann Arbor? I would rather pay more and be assured of not living in a slum....

lawloser22

Bronze

Post by lawloser22 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 am

Last edited by lawloser22 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 am

keg411 wrote:Thanks. Coming from a school with all of one liveable apartment building close to school is making the housing thing a bit tricky.

Also what would be considered expensive for Ann Arbor? I would rather pay more and be assured of not living in a slum....
I pay $1100 for a large two-bedroom with parking a bus ride away (Harbor House). A one-bedroom is like $950. Downtown you can pay nearly double that for a decent place.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:39 am

blowhard wrote:
keg411 wrote:Thanks. Coming from a school with all of one liveable apartment building close to school is making the housing thing a bit tricky.

I pay $1100 for a large two-bedroom with parking a bus ride away (Harbor House). A one-bedroom is like $950. Downtown you can pay nearly double that for a decent place.
Umm, that's false. My friends and I have studios/1brs that are in great condition ranging from a 3 min walk to a 10 min walk to the law quad and the rents range from $750-$950. The only problem with this for the transfers however is that most of these apartments are already off the market.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:44 am

Joan Hollaway wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Umm, that's false. My friends and I have studios/1brs that are in great condition ranging from a 3 min walk to a 10 min walk to the law quad and the rents range from $750-$950. The only problem with this for the transfers however is that most of these apartments are already off the market.
Any chance you could PM me (or post) the names of the buildings so I can look into it (just in case something opens up or there are 2 bedroom apartments available)?

JRD

New

Post by JRD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 am

I got a 1 bedroom like 2 miles away for $664. That's with everything included but electricity. I tried to find something within walking distance, but considering how late in the summer it was the options were pretty slim. The only things I could find within walking distance were pretty shitastic and way over priced (like $675 plus electricty for a studio that was basically smaller than my current bedroom).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:13 am

lawloser22 wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
tww909 wrote:coming from wisconsin and living in the LC barring it being full by the time i get my admit packet. anyone who has spoken to them recently know how open they are? i know it's crazy, but i sincerely miss living in a dorm.
They had 2-3 spots for guys about a week ago. I'd call admissions asap mon morning and ask for your UMID and then call LC (734.764.1116) asap monday morning.
There is 1 spot left at the LC.
just spoke the woman in charge a little bit ago and put in an application on it.

thanks everyone for the info looks like i'll be enjoying the convenient life.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:49 am

just sent in my deposit today. anyone who has already done so..do you have any info on how long it took to get login and other info?

JRD

New

Post by JRD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:33 pm

crazyblink653 wrote:just sent in my deposit today. anyone who has already done so..do you have any info on how long it took to get login and other info?
Took me a few days. Maybe 4 or so. I had to call because my acceptance letter didn't have a UM-ID so I couldn't set up my uniqname.

ReversedAndRemanded

New

Post by ReversedAndRemanded » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:41 pm

So has everyone bought football tickets yet? Or planning to? I missed Big Ten football down here.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”