Write on competition for transfers

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lovelaw27

Write on competition for transfers

Postby lovelaw27 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:18 pm

At the school I am transferring to the write on competition is from the 20-25. OCI is from the 22-25. Should I skip the writing competition or try to do OCI and the write on competition at the same time? I don’t care that much about law review, but I think having no journal probably looks bad.

Helmholtz

Re: Write on competition for transfers

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:27 pm

I would skip

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:01 pm

missinglink wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I would skip

Especially if you don't care to be on it.

Is there a secondary journal you might be able to sign up for w/o the write-on competition process?

No. There is one write on competition for all the journals.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transplantedbuckeye

Postby transplantedbuckeye » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm

Just guessing, are you transferring to WashU? I know most of the transfers were able to do both the competition and OCI at the same time last year. You should be able to do both without much of a problem.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:27 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Is there a secondary journal you might be able to sign up for w/o the write-on competition process?

Are the secondary journals competitive? If everyone gets one, just phone it in. Do the whole thing the 20th, take a shitty journal and move on.

Even if you got LR, you wouldn't know until after you did oci anyway. That minimizes a lot of the benefit it has.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Are the secondary journals competitive? If everyone gets one, just phone it in. Do the whole thing the 20th, take a shitty journal and move on.

Even if you got LR, you wouldn't know until after you did oci anyway. That minimizes a lot of the benefit it has.

Exactly. I've been told that secondary journals at my transfer school just basically require an application.

For transfers, I see LR as being useful for two things: (1) you strike out at OCI and need to beef up the resume for the subsequent scramble or (2) you're gunning for a post-grad clerkship.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 am

Journal membership is also important for the 3L hiring process, and transfer students should care much more about that process than other students (nearly half of my transfer class at Chicago switched firms via 3L hiring - a combination of firm upgrading and geographic changes).

Just do the competition. It does suck that you don't find out the results until after OCI (that's ridiculous, actually,) but you might have the results in-hand for callbacks, which would be very helpful.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 am

What schools are these that just require an application?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 am

At quite a few schools, secondary journals aren't super competitive. At NDLS for example, there are 85 journal spots for 175 people in the class.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:43 am

I bet the people trashing LR membership are not on LR. I could enumerate all the reasons why LR has been a great experience for me, but I do not have the time.

Transfers generally do not fare well at OCI. You should take the long term view and try your best to get on LR.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:58 am

Danteshek wrote:Transfers generally do not fare well at OCI.

Really?

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:05 am

Desert Fox wrote:
lovelaw27 wrote:
missinglink wrote:

BOOM.

You can totally get away with doing the write-on in a day, too. Be prepared for a miserable day, though.

Return to “Transfers”