GW or BU for transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JJ-TLS

New

GW or BU for transfer?

Post by JJ-TLS » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:29 am

I know there's a thread for this for regular admissions, but haven't seen one for transfers.

I've been accepted at GW and BU for transfer. The programs seem very similar, including for public interest (my focus area). I probably want to practice in NYS and the stats seem pretty comparable for OCI, but looks like more BU grads practice in NYS and the majority of GW grads stay Mid-Atlantic.

Thoughts?

DeliciousCake

New

Re: GW or BU for transfer?

Post by DeliciousCake » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 am

JJ-TLS wrote:I know there's a thread for this for regular admissions, but haven't seen one for transfers.

I've been accepted at GW and BU for transfer. The programs seem very similar, including for public interest (my focus area). I probably want to practice in NYS and the stats seem pretty comparable for OCI, but looks like more BU grads practice in NYS and the majority of GW grads stay Mid-Atlantic.

Thoughts?
I think you answered your own question. :) I saw that less than 40% of grads stay in MA (and almost as many go to NY - i think it was like 30%). That's honestly one of the reasons I'm choosing BU to transfer to. I wanted to go to the school with the most national reach, but one where I wouldn't be disappointed if I stayed in the city of the school. BU seemed to match that best.
Last edited by DeliciousCake on Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmic

New

Post by bmic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:06 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what were you're guy's 1L GPAs? I applied to transfer to BU as well and I'm curious about my chances. Sorry that this isn't answering your question at all TC.

VinceIrons

New

Post by VinceIrons » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:16 pm

I too have been accepted to both GW and BU. Barring acceptance in to Vandy or G-town, I'll be going to BU. I'm mainly interested in soft-IP, and though GW is better for IP in general, I've heard BU has awesome soft IP profs, and I'm just not a big fan of DC. But like Cake said, if you want to work in NYC, BU's probably going to be the better choice, all other things being equal.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:12 pm

OP, if you have debt and are set on PI, I would scope out the LRAP programs at each and enroll in whichever is more favorable.

Regarding the other question, I was admitted to BU via status checker/email last week. Top 7% at T2 and want to work in Boston or NY. I'm deciding between BU & BC now.

ace0260

New

Post by ace0260 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:19 am

You really want to give up your class rank at a T2 for BU? Seems like a big gamble to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”