GW transfer? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Birdman

Bronze

Re: GW transfer?

Post by Birdman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:50 am

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:14 am

Candi123 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:Still incomplete/waiting for letter of good standing.
I was having the same issue. I'm sure they have it, they just haven't put it in the system. I had to call them and make them look for it in my file, and now they have finally updated it on my status. My application is finally complete. I think they are just very busy with all the applications and documents that come in daily.
Thanks for the comments. Any idea when we should hear back or is it all rolling?

snowbunny87

New

Post by snowbunny87 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Candi123 wrote:
Birdman wrote: I'm from Michigan too. I wonder...if I end up practicing in MI, at what point is it better to stick with the regional school?
I'm having similar concerns. I'm from WA and if I want to come back here to practice, is it better to stick to a regional school? Considering GW is ranked much higher than my current school and I already have ties to WA (undergrad and family) I don't know if attending a school in a different area would really make a difference.

seattlegirl

New

Post by seattlegirl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:10 pm

snowbunny87 wrote:
Candi123 wrote:
Birdman wrote: I'm from Michigan too. I wonder...if I end up practicing in MI, at what point is it better to stick with the regional school?
I'm having similar concerns. I'm from WA and if I want to come back here to practice, is it better to stick to a regional school? Considering GW is ranked much higher than my current school and I already have ties to WA (undergrad and family) I don't know if attending a school in a different area would really make a difference.
Ditto! Same question. I wonder if TLSers who transferred in the past might be able to chime in and provide their insights. Here's to hoping. :)

Candi123

New

Post by Candi123 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:43 am

swords wrote:
Candi123 wrote:
swords wrote:I will be taking Property, Con law and Criminal law with incoming. I was a PT at my old school. For the person that asked above..I went complete June 22nd and got email yesterday. So the turn around was pretty quick.

I guess I got lucky in the sense that my school didn't wait for the class rank to come out before sending out letter of good standing. We don't get class rank until mid July, but GW thankfully accepted me based off just the GPA.
Do you mind if I ask you what your GPA and class rank was? I'm curious to know if I'm at all close or near it. Just wondering if my application is atleast competitive.

Not a problem - I had a 3.5 from T3.
Thank you. I wonder if the admission's committee put more weight on our law school GPA or our class rank? I know some schools that care more about the class rank and vice versa. I say that bc my class rank is better than my GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Candi123

New

Post by Candi123 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:02 am

seattlegirl wrote:
snowbunny87 wrote:
Candi123 wrote:
Ditto! Same question. I wonder if TLSers who transferred in the past might be able to chime in and provide their insights. Here's to hoping. :)
Hmm, its hard to say since I don't know what tier your current law school is. But, GW is a tier 1 school, so I wouldn't hesitate on transferring even if its out of state. I think any law school above 50, or atleast def above 30 would be worth transferring out of state, for sure. Also, I think what is important and what we often overlook is to find out if that specific law school meets our professional requirements. That's when it helps when you have an idea where you want to go with your law degree. For example, if the law school is known for their IP program and that is something you want to practice in, that's a factor I would consider too. Ofcourse, this is just the way I rationalize it, but ultimately its just my opinion and it makes sense to me.

Candi123

New

Post by Candi123 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:20 am

Birdman wrote:
Hi Birdman, I'm in the same boat as you. MSU was the first law school that got back to me with a decision and I was accepted as well. I just paid my enrollment deposit today, and I still haven't heard back from GW and the other law schools I have applied too.

I spoke with Caroline (sp?) from the admissions office. She told me, once applications are complete than they should have a decision in a week. It may take longer tho.

I'm from Michigan too. I wonder...if I end up practicing in MI, at what point is it better to stick with the regional school? I don't know if you have ever thought about this, but...when is it worth going to an out of state higher ranked tier 2 school instead of the lower ranked tier 2 school like MSU? I hear a lot of people in previous threads say that once you hit the tier 2 mark, it no longer matters what tier 2 school you go too. If you have any input on this matter, please do share. Thanks.[/quote]

We'll, where I want to practice has changed for me recently. I live in SoCal right now, and I don't particularly like the culture here. I want to practice in D.C. and work for the federal government. MSU has moved to the top of the list for me because they have the semester in D.C. program, and considering I already have ties to D.C. and access to an alumni network there because I went to GW for undergrad, MSU seems like a good choice. That and I'd like to live closer to my home in Grosse Pointe, MI, at least for a little bit anyways. With that being said... I don't think all tier 2's are created equal. Everyone has their own unique set of circumstances that can make one better than another for that particular person.

For your situation since you want to practice in MI, my guess is that they're aren't a lot of GW Law alumni in MI but people who do hiring will surely now that GW has an amazing school. GW is probably the better bet.[/quote]

Oh yah, I definitely agree with everything you said. I wasn't actually referring to GW, but more like lower tier 2 schools compared to MSU. Like for instance, if I got into Hofstra, a NY law school ranked 84 compared to MSU my regional law school ranked 95. In that situation, I would be hesitant to transfer out of state.

Also, MSU Law is a great school. My cousin just graduated from there. My current IP Professor taught at MSU Law as a visiting instructor, and he said the law school is underrated. And I have heard many people say the same. I would not be surprised if MSU continuos to go up the rankings if not than atleast maintain its spot in the 100s. I know this is the first time MSU was ranked in the top 100, but I think it will stay there.

Candi123

New

Post by Candi123 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:26 am

SpencerPratt wrote:
Candi123 wrote:
SpencerPratt wrote:Still incomplete/waiting for letter of good standing.
I was having the same issue. I'm sure they have it, they just haven't put it in the system. I had to call them and make them look for it in my file, and now they have finally updated it on my status. My application is finally complete. I think they are just very busy with all the applications and documents that come in daily.
Thanks for the comments. Any idea when we should hear back or is it all rolling?
I would suggest keep checking your application status online. Once it is complete, I was told a decision should be made in a week. But it could also take longer.

swords

New

Post by swords » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:12 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:47 pm

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Just went complete...was still "Processing" when I first checked this morning.

specialblend35

New

Post by specialblend35 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

joonhp wrote:Just went complete...was still "Processing" when I first checked this morning.
+1

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm still not processed... stupid law school transcripts taking forever!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CindyLarson84

New

Post by CindyLarson84 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:14 pm

My app still says "not yet processed" although everything is in - anyone else having the same issue?

hoyasaxon

New

Post by hoyasaxon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:15 pm

same. i wouldn't sweat it though- once it reads "complete," they render decisions like hotcakes (within a few days).
CindyLarson84 wrote:My app still says "not yet processed" although everything is in - anyone else having the same issue?

CindyLarson84

New

Post by CindyLarson84 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:24 pm

awesome - thanks!

daagermy1

New

Post by daagermy1 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Joining the thread as in incoming part-time transfer. Woot! Anyone else confused about our crazy fall schedule? Especially if you've already taken one of the split classes (Crim and Con Law)?

Good luck to those still waiting!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mixmasterehd

New

Post by mixmasterehd » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 pm

been complete since 6/28... guess thats a ding

congrats to all the admits so far

seattlegirl

New

Post by seattlegirl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 pm

daagermy1 wrote:Joining the thread as in incoming part-time transfer. Woot! Anyone else confused about our crazy fall schedule? Especially if you've already taken one of the split classes (Crim and Con Law)?

Good luck to those still waiting!
Where did you find the fall schedule of what classes you would have to take if you are missing some of the 1L classes (e.g. Con Law)? Did you call GW to find out which classes you will have to take? I know I need Con Law and Professional Responsibility if I transfer to GW...I am not sure if I will need other classes though. Let me know. Thanks!

GeeDubTransfer

New

Post by GeeDubTransfer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:31 am

Hi Guys,

Congratulations to those admitted and good luck to those waiting. Admitted today via email (7/6/11). Looking for roommates for next year. This may be a weird place to start, but seeing as how there is little time between now and when I will be moving down there, I thought I would give it a shot to see if there are any takers. I think the school provides a message board to find roommates once they process my deposit, but might as well start now and exercise all avenues. PM me if interested, and we can chat.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 am

Candi123 wrote:
Birdman wrote:Sent my app in about a month ago, my school finally finished ranking people and sent out my documents this week. I got accepted to MSU and have, I believe, two weeks to accept their offer. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for GW to review an app once it is complete? My guess is I will go complete sometime next week and then only have days before my MSU deposit is due, and I believe I have to withdraw my other applications then. (I informed GW about the timeframe)

I certainly won't mind going to MSU because I want to be closer to my family in Michigan, but obviously GW is way better and I would rather go there, even if that means not being as close to home as I would like.
Hi Birdman, I'm in the same boat as you. MSU was the first law school that got back to me with a decision and I was accepted as well. I just paid my enrollment deposit today, and I still haven't heard back from GW and the other law schools I have applied too.

I spoke with Caroline (sp?) from the admissions office. She told me, once applications are complete than they should have a decision in a week. It may take longer tho.

I'm from Michigan too. I wonder...if I end up practicing in MI, at what point is it better to stick with the regional school? I don't know if you have ever thought about this, but...when is it worth going to an out of state higher ranked tier 2 school instead of the lower ranked tier 2 school like MSU? I hear a lot of people in previous threads say that once you hit the tier 2 mark, it no longer matters what tier 2 school you go too. If you have any input on this matter, please do share. Thanks.
Actually, after the top 14/17 (arguably t30) schools or so, ranking across the board nationally don't matter. It's all regional after the top 14/17 (arguably t30) schools. Go to the best school in the region that you want to practice if you aren't going to a t14/17/30.
Birdman wrote:We'll, where I want to practice has changed for me recently. I live in SoCal right now, and I don't particularly like the culture here. I want to practice in D.C. and work for the federal government. MSU has moved to the top of the list for me because they have the semester in D.C. program, and considering I already have ties to D.C. and access to an alumni network there because I went to GW for undergrad, MSU seems like a good choice. That and I'd like to live closer to my home in Grosse Pointe, MI, at least for a little bit anyways. With that being said... I don't think all tier 2's are created equal. Everyone has their own unique set of circumstances that can make one better than another for that particular person.
Good luck working for the federal government leaving MSU :lol: D.C. is the most competitive market in the country. Federal government in D.C. is super COMPETITIVE (of course, it also depends specifically where you want to work, but generally speaking, federal government is really, really competitive). Just to put this into perspective, most people at a t14 can't get fed government (even if they wanted it), especially not in D.C. In other words, if you are dreaming of working at the US DoJ, SEC, IRS, etc., just realize there's a 99.99% chance that you won't get it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 am

Last edited by Birdman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am

Guess that's a ding for me. I went complete on Tuesday so I'm assuming they mass email their acceptances all at once.

When did you go complete GeeDub?
GeeDubTransfer wrote:Hi Guys,

Congratulations to those admitted and good luck to those waiting. Admitted today via email (7/6/11). Looking for roommates for next year. This may be a weird place to start, but seeing as how there is little time between now and when I will be moving down there, I thought I would give it a shot to see if there are any takers. I think the school provides a message board to find roommates once they process my deposit, but might as well start now and exercise all avenues. PM me if interested, and we can chat.

Artemis

New

Post by Artemis » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 pm

joonhp wrote:Guess that's a ding for me. I went complete on Tuesday so I'm assuming they mass email their acceptances all at once.

When did you go complete GeeDub?
GeeDubTransfer wrote:Hi Guys,

That's not necessarily a ding. You went complete only a day before they sent out some acceptances. They're probably inundated with applications now and have probably not yet gotten to all of them. FWIW, I'm in the same boat (complete on Tuesday). We may be in the next batch of decisions since we haven't been complete for too long.
But yes, when did you go complete GeeDub?
Oh, and for those who have gotten dinged from GW, when/how did you find out?

CindyLarson84

New

Post by CindyLarson84 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Did you guys get a complete email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”