Didn't make LR, should I transfer? T25-30 top 5%

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Omerta

Didn't make LR, should I transfer? T25-30 top 5%

Postby Omerta » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:48 pm

Title says it all. Top 5% with secondary journal in the geographic area that I want to work in. I also have a $22k scholarship. I really want to clerk and wouldn't consider transferring if I made LR. It's super late, so HYSChi are out. However, Penn, NYU, and Columbia all have July 15th deadlines. I have zero interest in working in NY.

edit:
CanadianWolf wrote:Transfer--unless you are confident that you can get your dream job or clerkship from Emory. Is the secondary journal directly related to your professional area of interest, such as bankruptcy ?

Once you apply & are accepted as a transfer, is there any liklihood of Emory offering a full tuition scholarship ?

P.S. Wouldn't Virginia, Duke & Vanderbilt place as well in Atlanta as does Emory ?

I have relatively unambitious (by this board's standards) aspirations. I'd like to clerk for a district court in N.D. GA or M.D. FL. My dream job is working for a mid-sized NALP firm in Florida or Georgia. I have a small chance at getting a "grant" that would increase my scholarship, but essentially no chance at a full ride. Regardless, parents are covering living expenses, so I'll graduate with about $58k in debt assuming that I don't put any income during school towards student loans.
VA/Vandy/Duke all place extremely well in Atlanta, but I don't believe I should apply to any of them.
Virginia: not a VA resident, no shot.
Vandy: in my opinion, not a significant enough jump to merit losing $44k.
Duke: their transfer deadline is tomorrow and I won't be able to have my materials in by then.
Last edited by Omerta on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: Didn't make LR, should I transfer? T25-30 top 5%

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:51 pm

Transfer--unless you are confident that you can get your dream job or clerkship from Emory. Is the secondary journal directly related to your professional area of interest, such as bankruptcy ?

Once you apply & are accepted as a transfer, is there any liklihood of Emory offering a full tuition scholarship ?

P.S. Wouldn't Virginia, Duke & Vanderbilt place as well in Atlanta as does Emory ?

You can call Duke & see if you can file a preliminary transfer application with the remainder to follow---assuming that you just learned that you didn't make law review.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:25 pm

If you stay, then concentrate on grades & class rank. Typically, the second & third years are much more predictable & correlate with one's work effort much like undergraduate school, in my opinion & from my experience.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:32 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
You can call Duke & see if you can file a preliminary transfer application with the remainder to follow---assuming that you just learned that you didn't make law review.

Ok, I'll call and ask. I found out yesterday evening (after 6:00).

Return to “Transfers”