Loyola transfers Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Danteshek

Gold

Re: Loyola transfers

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:24 pm

RockyMtnLvr wrote:Any idea when decisions start coming out??
I found out July 14, 2010. When I arrived at Loyola, I was told I was one of the first transfers admitted.

RockyMtnLvr

New

Post by RockyMtnLvr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Danteshek wrote:
RockyMtnLvr wrote:Any idea when decisions start coming out??
I found out July 14, 2010. When I arrived at Loyola, I was told I was one of the first transfers admitted.
Email?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 pm

My bad. I received an email Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:11 PM from David Kirchner.

Danteshek,

I am pleased to be the first to congratulate on admission to Loyola Law School as a transfer student with advanced standing. The Admissions Committee was very impressed with your credentials and looks forward to welcoming you as a member of the Loyola family.

We want to make sure you are aware that transfer students are eligible to participate in the following: Law Review, Moot Court and OCI and hope to see you get involved in the myriad of opportunities that Loyola has to offer. Additional information will be sent to you upon receipt of your Transfer Admission Response Form.

You will find your acceptance letter and confirmation form attached to this e-mail, and a hard copy has been mailed via the US Postal Service. Please feel free to contact myself or Dean Roberts with any questions.

Best,
David

RockyMtnLvr

New

Post by RockyMtnLvr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I hope I hear something soon...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 pm

RockyMtnLvr wrote:Thanks for the info. I hope I hear something soon...
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RockyMtnLvr

New

Post by RockyMtnLvr » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Danteshek wrote:
I'm a little worried though now that I went DR at Pepperdine but didn't get an email...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

RockyMtnLvr wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
I'm a little worried though now that I went DR at Pepperdine but didn't get an email...
Pepperdine takes fewer than 10 transfers. Loyola takes about 40. Trust me, there are not 50 people with top 10 percent grades transferring to schools in LA not named USC and UCLA.

RockyMtnLvr

New

Post by RockyMtnLvr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

Danteshek wrote:
RockyMtnLvr wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Pepperdine takes fewer than 10 transfers. Loyola takes about 40. Trust me, there are not 50 people with top 10 percent grades transferring to schools in LA not named USC and UCLA.

10? Geez...I'm sure I'm not what they're looking for. I'm not very religious (all though I didn't say that).

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 am

Did you seriously not know that? Did you do ANY research?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RockyMtnLvr

New

Post by RockyMtnLvr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 am

Danteshek wrote:Did you seriously not know that? Did you do ANY research?
Of course. I am Catholic but not super religious.

abudaba

New

Post by abudaba » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 pm

In via email this evening so keep an eye out :wink:

Edit: this is Loyola btw

autumnaesthetic

New

Post by autumnaesthetic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:21 pm

abudaba wrote:In via email this evening so keep an eye out :wink:

Edit: this is Loyola btw
Congrats! Glad to know decisions are finally rolling out.

MRider818

New

Post by MRider818 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 pm

stadt wrote:I'm curious as to what some of your numbers are, for those who were admitted to LLS. Anyone from Southwestern transfer?
Yes, I received my acceptance letter on July 16th. It's hard to leave SW though so I might end up staying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:42 pm

MRider818 wrote:
stadt wrote:I'm curious as to what some of your numbers are, for those who were admitted to LLS. Anyone from Southwestern transfer?
Yes, I received my acceptance letter on July 16th. It's hard to leave SW though so I might end up staying.
That would be a very poor decision.

MRider818

New

Post by MRider818 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Danteshek wrote:
MRider818 wrote:
Why is that? I posted a topic called "Southwestern ($$$) or Loyola (rank). If you don't mind reading it and giving me your thoughts on it with reasoning I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 pm

stadt

New

Post by stadt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:38 am

MRider818 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
MRider818 wrote:
Why is that? I posted a topic called "Southwestern ($$$) or Loyola (rank). If you don't mind reading it and giving me your thoughts on it with reasoning I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
If you stay at SW and graduate near the top of your class, in addition to receiving $$$, I do not see how that is a poor decision. Most people are blinded by the USNews rankings and perceived career prospects. Let me tell you, the name of your institution, unless you go to tier 1, will not matter as much as performing well- and hell why not let someone else pay some of that ridiculous tuition.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

transferhopefulsd

New

Post by transferhopefulsd » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:45 am

If you stay at SW and graduate near the top of your class, in addition to receiving $$$, I do not see how that is a poor decision. Most people are blinded by the USNews rankings and perceived career prospects. Let me tell you, the name of your institution, unless you go to tier 1, will not matter as much as performing well- and hell why not let someone else pay some of that ridiculous tuition.[/quote]

Aren't you a 0L? OP should transfer.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

Yes, stadt is a 0L considering schools in the SW range. This is an obvious example of a young person not fully comprehending the hierarchy.

stadt

New

Post by stadt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Danteshek wrote:Yes, stadt is a 0L considering schools in the SW range. This is an obvious example of a young person not fully comprehending the hierarchy.
People should be given more than one point of view. I understand the hierarchy all too well, which is why I was curious what successful transfers were doing, had done. Not all law degrees are created equal, everyone knows this. But there ARE benefits to staying.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:14 pm

stadt wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Yes, stadt is a 0L considering schools in the SW range. This is an obvious example of a young person not fully comprehending the hierarchy.
People should be given more than one point of view. I understand the hierarchy all too well, which is why I was curious what successful transfers were doing, had done. Not all law degrees are created equal, everyone knows this. But there ARE benefits to staying.
Believe me, I thought the same way you do, until some lawyers around town knocked some sense into me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Danteshek wrote:
stadt wrote:
Believe me, I thought the same way you do, until some lawyers around town knocked some sense into me.

Bear in mind, most lawyers know very little about the transfer process. Many of the attorneys I spoke to had no idea what a transfer entails. Unless you talk to new attorneys who just graduated, chances are, transferring was a very rare occurrence when they went to school.

In law, going to a better ranked school is almost always a better choice as long as the better rank school places in the region you want to practice in (ie. T14 school or school is in region you want to practice in). With that said, money does matter. Here, the choice is not UCLA and Southwestern. Rather, the choice is Loyola and Southwestern. Neither school is "good." Both schools are "okay," with Loyola having a slightly better reputation. As a 0L, Loyola should be taken, no question about it. As a transfer after your 1L year, the choice is much more murky, especially when staying at Southwestern will give him OCI chances while a transfer to Loyola likely means no OCI.

If he stays at Southwestern, he gets a cheaper education, less loans, possibly law review, better professor connections, and all the other benefits of attending your 1L school. Transferring will give him a lesser chance at law review, no connections, no OCI, more expenses, and a slightly more reputable degree.

If he transfers, his miniscule shot of big law through Southwestern's OCI is destroyed. If he fails to get law review, Loyola without law review is worse than Southwestern with law review. If he does badly (ie. not top 10-30% of Loyola), his prospects will be worse than at Southwestern. Overall, the risks outweigh the reward.

Yes, there is a chance that transferring might be the better choice. If he gets law review at Loyola and does extremely well, he will have better options his 3L year. However, this is assuming he gets law review at Loyola and does extremely well. Lastly, to address your "education" is reward comment . . . what you say might be true. However, at the end of the day, you want the ability to live the best life you can, and paying a lot more money for similar earning potential is rarely a good idea. Better education is a reward in itself, but unless it meant more money or better jobs, taking the "better" educational path is not the right choice for everyone.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:10 am

I hope you don't write your law school exams like that.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:45 am

I wasn't aware we had to write in law school exam form in this forum hehe. Don't take it personally Dante, people are just trying to give this guy some advice. So far a lot of the advice has been well reasoned and objective. Well, actually yours really has just been pretty bias.

MRider has gotten enough of our viewpoints to make a decision. Any further comments are probably going to be little use to him. It's a really personal decision that he needs to ultimately make now.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 am

Of course I am biased. I made the decision and benefited. It's the naysayers in this thread who are speculating.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”