CA Lateral Transfer, worth it?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SoCow

CA Lateral Transfer, worth it?

Postby SoCow » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 am

Contemplating the idea of transferring slightly up/laterally from SD to Loyola. I'll be living with parents in LA, so I will be saving cost of living if I do transfer. Currently paying full price at USD right now.

I ended up in the top 15-20% after 1L. Although transferring to Loyola will benefit me financially, would it be worth transferring out of USD and giving up my rank and law review just for a lateral transfer? I am also concerned about leaving behind the network that I've developed with my classmates and faculty. I would love to work in LA, but I don't mind SD either.

Nacirema

Re: CA Lateral Transfer, worth it?

Postby Nacirema » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:09 am

Dude you got it made.

San Diego
Law Review
San Diego

=Stay

Artemis

Re: CA Lateral Transfer, worth it?

Postby Artemis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:34 pm

With that rank from USD (an upper- to mid- T2 school with a good regional reputation), I would aim higher than just Loyola if you are truly interested in working and living in Los Angeles. If I were in your position, I would send apps to UCLA and USC. USC takes less transfer students so the process is less predictable, but UCLA takes a fair number of transfers - 35 to 40 a year I believe. And having a ~15% rank from a high T2 school is probably within the range of UCLA consideration. I think you should apply to Loyola as a back-up but definitely consider the higher-ranked LA schools as well.
I would consider a lateral transfer to be top third, but you are well above that.
Also, if you are still deciding on whether you should transfer or not and have not yet applied, you should probably apply anyway if you are willing to spend the app fees. You can always decide later if you want to go, but deadlines are coming up soon. If you are still on the fence about applying, apply anyway now.
If you have already applied, you should consider that both Loyola and SD are very regional schools. Look up the employment statistics for USD and see where they place and what your chances are of working in LA upon graduation. Law Review is a major deal, but you can always write on during the Loyola transfer write-on competition if you decide on Loyola.

Return to “Transfers”