logistics... help.

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
swimmer33
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 pm

logistics... help.

Postby swimmer33 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 pm

i'm trying to transfer back home, and the move would require me moving pretty far to be back.

problem- my lease is up at the end of THIS month... and I still haven't heard back from schools (though I'm complete/in review or final review at 3 of them). has anybody ever had any luck requesting expedition on decisions? is it worth it, or should i wait it out? as long as i just hear from one school, i can make the move back.

also, fwiw, the three schools i'm waiting on would be a lateral (or downward) transfer, and i finished right at the top third this past year.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: logistics... help.

Postby kaiser » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 pm

swimmer33 wrote:i'm trying to transfer back home, and the move would require me moving pretty far to be back.

problem- my lease is up at the end of THIS month... and I still haven't heard back from schools (though I'm complete/in review or final review at 3 of them). has anybody ever had any luck requesting expedition on decisions? is it worth it, or should i wait it out? as long as i just hear from one school, i can make the move back.

also, fwiw, the three schools i'm waiting on would be a lateral (or downward) transfer, and i finished right at the top third this past year.


My gut feeling is that, if you pressure a school in which you are borderline for an acceptance, you will just be pushing yourself into the reject pile. Though perhaps you could very tactfully and respectfully write the school to explain your situation to find out what they say. As long as you just politely inquiry, and never impose, I don't think it would be a problem.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: logistics... help.

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:26 pm

I tend to agree with kaiser.

I was borderline at Berkeley for transfer purposes, UCLA was my next choice, and I had a deadline to meet after getting into UCLA.

I called Berkeley to find out my status, told them about my deadline, they put me on hold for a few minutes, and came back on the line and rejected me.

I don't know if I would have been rejected anyways (probably?), but if I could do it again, I think I would have avoided calling.

boilerplated
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: logistics... help.

Postby boilerplated » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:52 pm

How far of a move would it be and how much large-item stuff do you plan on moving with? If you're not tied to a job, it might be worth it to just move home and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you don't get into any schools and have to trek back, which would be a pain, but doable. If you're looking at lateral/downward transfers, are top third and are pretty sure your rec letters are solid, I'd say there's a very good shot you'll get into one of them.

I do feel for you, though. Putting apps together seems like cake compared to the logistical headaches of actually, physically transferring schools.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: logistics... help.

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Can you pay for one more month off-lease and stick it out a couple of weeks?

swimmer33
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: logistics... help.

Postby swimmer33 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:22 pm

the move would be about 2k miles... so it would be harder//but doable to move... then move back if necessary. as far as the bigger items go... i have no idea what to do with them. a month-to-month lease isn't possible either where i'm at.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: logistics... help.

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:31 pm

I would look around and see if you can find a month to month. Im sure someone in your current area has a single room above their garage for rent.

swimmer33
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: logistics... help.

Postby swimmer33 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:31 pm

thanks for all of your help. these are all good ideas... and i should pick one of them within the next 48 hours.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.