SMU 2011 Transfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Katherine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Anyone hear any news on how many sent in their seat deposits?

Stryka
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Stryka » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Checked my status checker around 3 pm and it said Admitted and waited for the call to come at 4:40..Dream come true!

JValdez
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby JValdez » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Stryka wrote:Checked my status checker around 3 pm and it said Admitted and waited for the call to come at 4:40..Dream come true!


Congrats! See you on the 18th. :D

Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Katherine » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm

Help! What is the seat deposit link for the one due tomorrow?

Allsmiles08
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Allsmiles08 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:27 pm

Is anyone going to do the write-on competition?

atunnell
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby atunnell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Allsmiles08 wrote:Is anyone going to do the write-on competition?


I sure am. It cannot hurt to try and write-on to a journal.

JValdez
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby JValdez » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 am

atunnell wrote:
Allsmiles08 wrote:Is anyone going to do the write-on competition?


I sure am. It cannot hurt to try and write-on to a journal.


Absolutely right! Can't hurt. :D

JValdez
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby JValdez » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:37 am

Anyone heard anything about financial aid awards?

Stryka
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:52 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Stryka » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 pm

I thought we couldn't get any scholarships?

JValdez
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby JValdez » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 am

You're right, no scholarships. I was just referring to whether financial aid packages have been processed.

NE1410S
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby NE1410S » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 pm

JValdez wrote:
atunnell wrote:
Allsmiles08 wrote:Is anyone going to do the write-on competition?


I sure am. It cannot hurt to try and write-on to a journal.


Absolutely right! Can't hurt. :D



I transferred to SMU last year (rising 3L). Do the write-on competition for practice, but don't get upset if you don't make it. The transfer competition is extremely competitive. Last year, I think each law review/journal only took one transfer (total of 3). However, you can write on in the normal competition after your 2L year.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I remember what it's like to be in your shoes.

NE1410S
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby NE1410S » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:26 pm

Stryka wrote:I thought we couldn't get any scholarships?



You almost certainly won't get a scholarship as a transfer. Loans will be your best bet.

cpars
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby cpars » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 am

Hey group. Did anyone do OCI? Where did everyone get pre-selects? Do we know which firms have yet to make decisions an outstanding? Just curious how us transfer students are fairing with OCI.

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby nouseforaname123 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:21 pm

cpars wrote:Hey group. Did anyone do OCI? Where did everyone get pre-selects? Do we know which firms have yet to make decisions an outstanding? Just curious how us transfer students are fairing with OCI.


Not a transfer, sorry for jumping in.

Generally speaking, most of the firms with more than 10 spots still available have not submitted some or all of their selections.

How did everybody do?

atunnell
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby atunnell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
cpars wrote:Hey group. Did anyone do OCI? Where did everyone get pre-selects? Do we know which firms have yet to make decisions an outstanding? Just curious how us transfer students are fairing with OCI.


Not a transfer, sorry for jumping in.

Generally speaking, most of the firms with more than 10 spots still available have not submitted some or all of their selections.

How did everybody do?


Got 10 pre-selects, with a handful of alternate slots. Not sure if I did well or did poorly. Hopefully I get a few more.

NE1410S
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby NE1410S » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:36 pm

atunnell wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
cpars wrote:Hey group. Did anyone do OCI? Where did everyone get pre-selects? Do we know which firms have yet to make decisions an outstanding? Just curious how us transfer students are fairing with OCI.


Not a transfer, sorry for jumping in.

Generally speaking, most of the firms with more than 10 spots still available have not submitted some or all of their selections.

How did everybody do?


Got 10 pre-selects, with a handful of alternate slots. Not sure if I did well or did poorly. Hopefully I get a few more.



Ten is great! Last year, there were only a few of us (transfers) that got pre-selects at OCI. Most transfers do better once they have a GPA at SMU. Of course, that is assuming it is a good GPA.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby LoyalRebel » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:51 pm

SMU is sooooooo expensive, and you gotta live in the middle of Dallas.

I how you know what you're doing. :shock:

cpars
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby cpars » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:52 pm

10 is sweet! How many did you apply to? I have received 2 pre-selects but targeted most firms and didn't apply to very many.
atunnell wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:
cpars wrote:Hey group. Did anyone do OCI? Where did everyone get pre-selects? Do we know which firms have yet to make decisions an outstanding? Just curious how us transfer students are fairing with OCI.


Not a transfer, sorry for jumping in.

Generally speaking, most of the firms with more than 10 spots still available have not submitted some or all of their selections.

How did everybody do?


Got 10 pre-selects, with a handful of alternate slots. Not sure if I did well or did poorly. Hopefully I get a few more.

atunnell
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby atunnell » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Anybody know when on the 18th transfer orientation is?

Slevin Kelevra 2011
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Slevin Kelevra 2011 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 pm

What's an SMU?

User avatar
fixer
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby fixer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:17 pm

9:00am I think. It in the the admission letter. Last paragraph.

Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Katherine » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:11 am

Anyone heard about law review? I spoke with someone earlier this week who said they were making decisions this week/weekend. What did you guys think about it?

atunnell
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby atunnell » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Katherine wrote:Anyone heard about law review? I spoke with someone earlier this week who said they were making decisions this week/weekend. What did you guys think about it?


Have not heard anything as of yet.

atunnell
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby atunnell » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:24 pm

Anybody hear anything about the write-on?

Katherine
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: SMU 2011 Transfer

Postby Katherine » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:14 pm

Nothing yet... I would guess people might hear today... Eek!




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.