What would you do???

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transfer123
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

What would you do???

Postby transfer123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Finished 1L at a third tier school in the south. Did well my first semester. Turns out I've done REALLY well this semester... Except that I'm still waiting on one professor for one grade and have been for 4 weeks now. Every other grade is in. Looking at finishing in the top 15% or so.

I've applied to transfer to Cardozo, Brooklyn, Rutgers-Newark, UNC (in-state; waitlisted originally), Miami, and Penn State. Currently working in NYC for the summer. Interested in working in NYC after graduation, hence the schools.

This professor is notorious for getting grades in late. The past couple of years it was Late July/Early August before he turned them in... He is tenured and therefore, the school can't really do anything to him. I have started thinking that the school might actually encourage this behavior to prevent students from transferring. I know several of the schools to which I have applied have already accepted transfer students... and I know that the time is ticking. Is there ANYTHING I can do? I've called each school to notify them and they don't want any grades until they are all complete. I've called my school every week since grades are due to complain...

All of my paperwork was submitted to the schools back in mid-April. They are literally just waiting on this ONE grade...

I literally worked my butt off all year for this opportunity, and part of me is start to feel like this is a lost cause and I am totally screwed, or will have a matter of days to make a decision if it comes to that.

transfer123
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: What would you do???

Postby transfer123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:50 pm

bump

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: What would you do???

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:56 pm

transfer123 wrote:Finished 1L at a third tier school in the south. Did well my first semester. Turns out I've done REALLY well this semester... Except that I'm still waiting on one professor for one grade and have been for 4 weeks now. Every other grade is in. Looking at finishing in the top 15% or so.

I've applied to transfer to Cardozo, Brooklyn, Rutgers-Newark, UNC (in-state; waitlisted originally), Miami, and Penn State. Currently working in NYC for the summer. Interested in working in NYC after graduation, hence the schools.

This professor is notorious for getting grades in late. The past couple of years it was Late July/Early August before he turned them in... He is tenured and therefore, the school can't really do anything to him. I have started thinking that the school might actually encourage this behavior to prevent students from transferring. I know several of the schools to which I have applied have already accepted transfer students... and I know that the time is ticking. Is there ANYTHING I can do? I've called each school to notify them and they don't want any grades until they are all complete. I've called my school every week since grades are due to complain...

All of my paperwork was submitted to the schools back in mid-April. They are literally just waiting on this ONE grade...

I literally worked my butt off all year for this opportunity, and part of me is start to feel like this is a lost cause and I am totally screwed, or will have a matter of days to make a decision if it comes to that.


Complain to the dean and the registrar. Also, call the schools you've applied to and explain the situation... if worse comes to worse, you could perhaps ask for provisional admission if your grade is above X?

I know that is a stretch, but it is the best I could come up with...

Best of luck...

transfer123
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: What would you do???

Postby transfer123 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 pm

bump

Zazelmaf
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: What would you do???

Postby Zazelmaf » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:17 pm

I think I would contact the schools I was trying to transfer into and explain it to them. It shows you want to go there and are serious. I'd also complain to the dean. That's not right at all. I can understand how you would be upset.

sharklasers
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: What would you do???

Postby sharklasers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Miami is a very good school. If the professor hurts your chances to transfer there, you should try to hold him accountable.

transfer123
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: What would you do???

Postby transfer123 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Even with the 7 week delay on the grades... Was just accepted at Miami and Penn State today!

sarryn
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:40 am

Re: What would you do???

Postby sarryn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Congratulations! Glad it all worked out for you.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.