Mentioning family/personal reasons for transferring? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fidesverita

Bronze

Mentioning family/personal reasons for transferring?

Post by fidesverita » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 am

I've been reading around the board that people have been writing about personal reasons for transferring to YHS (family/significant other is in ____ town). But is that a viable reason to want to transfer? It seems weird that Harvard would go "oh hey, so and so has a brother in Cambridge. That's a legit reason for transferring."

Would it hurt to mention family in a personal statement? Or should i stick to "I want to transfer because..."?

Thanks.

traehekat

Gold

Re: Mentioning family/personal reasons for transferring?

Post by traehekat » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:29 am

I don't think it could ever HURT to mention it, just don't make it the focus.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:40 am

I think that Harvard is looking for those types of reasons. Try not to sound pathetic/needy and you should be all set.

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:22 am

I mentioned that my fiance is in a graduate program in the area and that he's likely to be here for the foreseeable future.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”