0L, from PT to FT before semester begins? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Winningthelotto

New

0L, from PT to FT before semester begins?

Post by Winningthelotto » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Hello, I was curious as to how possible it were to be put into a full-time program after applying and being admitted as a part-time student, before completing a full yr/semester or whatever other requirement needed to transfer? After speaking with many attorney's, current law students and my advisor, I was told that the part-time program would limit me in many ways, most importantly w/ regards to class rank/law review/oci. Initially I felt compelled to be in the part-time program due to work but that situation has changed.

Edit: woops just read the whole post on "if you're an 0L don't post here" my B <3

lawgod

Bronze

Re: 0L, from PT to FT before semester begins?

Post by lawgod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am

But this is a legitimate transfer question. It isn't about choosing a school; you've already chosen one. And it is isn't a "what if I..."; you are asking about the present.
So I say it is a fair transfer question.

I say transfer to Yale.

Winningthelotto

New

Post by Winningthelotto » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 pm

You bring up many good points. I agree and chose BLUE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:03 pm

This isn't really a transfer question. Transferring typically refers to changing schools; you're just wanting to change programs within a school.

The real answer is that it depends. You can contact your school and ask; what they tell you is pretty much what your chances of success will be. I will speculate that this might be more permissible now than in the past, since PT programs are now factored into rankings.

SoCow

New

Post by SoCow » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Winningthelotto wrote:Hello, I was curious as to how possible it were to be put into a full-time program after applying and being admitted as a part-time student, before completing a full yr/semester or whatever other requirement needed to transfer? After speaking with many attorney's, current law students and my advisor, I was told that the part-time program would limit me in many ways, most importantly w/ regards to class rank/law review/oci. Initially I felt compelled to be in the part-time program due to work but that situation has changed.

Edit: woops just read the whole post on "if you're an 0L don't post here" my B <3
Some of my classmates did this prior to entering 1L. One of them was laid off and the other had a change of heart about the PT program. I believe if you have the LSAT/gpa to have been admitted into the FT program then they might let you in. However, adcomms will likely fight you on it because it's a lot harder for them to fill a PT slot then it is a FT slot.

Winningthelotto

New

Post by Winningthelotto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:52 pm

SoCow wrote:
Winningthelotto wrote:Hello, I was curious as to how possible it were to be put into a full-time program after applying and being admitted as a part-time student, before completing a full yr/semester or whatever other requirement needed to transfer? After speaking with many attorney's, current law students and my advisor, I was told that the part-time program would limit me in many ways, most importantly w/ regards to class rank/law review/oci. Initially I felt compelled to be in the part-time program due to work but that situation has changed.

Some of my classmates did this prior to entering 1L. One of them was laid off and the other had a change of heart about the PT program. I believe if you have the LSAT/gpa to have been admitted into the FT program then they might let you in. However, adcomms will likely fight you on it because it's a lot harder for them to fill a PT slot then it is a FT slot.

:) I was accepted into the Full-time program!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”