Top 20% T3 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
billyez

Silver

Top 20% T3

Post by billyez » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 am

Somehow, I've become the authority on firms and transfers during 1L summer break - to be more accurate, I appear to have been deemed such. A friend may be transferring from a T3. I've advised them as best as I could, but the lack of certainty about what market they want to go into has made it rather difficult. In any case, I'm just wondering about the general view about the likelihood of someone from the top 20% (maybe they cracked into top 15%) reaching into the bottom half of the top 100. I genuinely believe chances of anything higher is more than somewhat unlikely.

studebaker07

Bronze

Re: Top 20% T3

Post by studebaker07 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

Transferring can be unpredictable. Take myself as an example. I finished Top-22% at a T4 and transferred into the Top-40. I know many other people who were not quite Top-10% T4s and T3s who cracked the 60-50 range. I think it just depends on too many factors to try and pigeonhole a certain applicant. Sure there are limits as to what is possible (for example, a top-20% at a T3 is most likely not going to crack the Top 20 or even Top 30, but there can be some unpredictable swings.

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:22 am

studebaker07 wrote:Transferring can be unpredictable. Take myself as an example. I finished Top-22% at a T4 and transferred into the Top-40. I know many other people who were not quite Top-10% T4s and T3s who cracked the 60-50 range. I think it just depends on too many factors to try and pigeonhole a certain applicant. Sure there are limits as to what is possible (for example, a top-20% at a T3 is most likely not going to crack the Top 20 or even Top 30, but there can be some unpredictable swings.
I just did the above as well. I finished in the top 20 or so at a TTT, and have been admitted to a few places in the top 50. I have, however, been rejected by some lower ranked schools. It's a crapshoot.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:23 am

Thank you for that information. Said applicant was a tad picky/hard to pin down about what market they wanted to funnel into, so I just had a difficult time telling them which places they should really gun for (and I thought they sent far too many applications in the top tier) - but I'd feel a bit bad if I made them constrict their chances by making it seem like their chances were lower than they actually were...

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

studebaker07 wrote:Sure there are limits as to what is possible (for example, a top-20% at a T3 is most likely not going to crack the Top 20 or even Top 30, but there can be some unpredictable swings.
Check that. I was admitted to WUSTL this morning.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Congrats! I'm gald the unexpected swing worked in your favor!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:29 pm

schwar46 wrote:
Congratulations! You appear to be one of the exceptions and an example of just how unpredictable the transfer process can be. Let me know if you get into Harvard so I can eat crow haha!

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:32 pm

studebaker07 wrote:
schwar46 wrote:
Congratulations! You appear to be one of the exceptions and an example of just how unpredictable the transfer process can be. Let me know if you get into Harvard so I can eat crow haha!
Luck of the Irish :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”