Are our GPAs "weighted" due to idiosyncratic classes?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
engineered madness

Are our GPAs "weighted" due to idiosyncratic classes?

Postby engineered madness » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:33 pm

My law school mandates we take, in addition to Legal Writing, a quasi-clinical class which does not appear to have a parallel at the law schools that I am interested in transferring to. I was wondering if anyone had information as to whether law schools even consider these classes or simply look to the "meat and potatoes", doctrinal classes,e.g. Torts, Ks, Civ Pro, etc., for transfer evaluation? Hope this is clear. tyia

UCLAtransfer

Re: Are our GPAs "weighted" due to idiosyncratic classes?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:17 pm

They will look at your GPA/ranking, and that's about it w/r/t your transcript. I seriously doubt whether they care what your actual individual grades are, only the bottom line, which is where you placed in your class.

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm

UCLA, thanks for the info.

Bramwell

Postby Bramwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:05 am

engineered madness wrote:My law school mandates we take, in addition to Legal Writing, a quasi-clinical class which does not appear to have a parallel at the law schools that I am interested in transferring to. I was wondering if anyone had information as to whether law schools even consider these classes or simply look to the "meat and potatoes", doctrinal classes,e.g. Torts, Ks, Civ Pro, etc., for transfer evaluation? Hope this is clear. tyia

I imagine you are referring to Lawyering at NYLS.

Be careful with what you describe as "idiosyncratic." Regarding its Lawyering program, NYU actually prides itself in being "the only top tier law school committed to giving sophisticated, in-depth attention, from the first year of legal study, to the interactive, fact-sensitive and interpretive work that is fundamental to excellence in practice." (see here: http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/lawyer ... /index.htm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 am

Bramwell wrote:I imagine you are referring to Lawyering at NYLS.

Be careful with what you describe as "idiosyncratic." Regarding its Lawyering program, NYU actually prides itself in being "the only top tier law school committed to giving sophisticated, in-depth attention, from the first year of legal study, to the interactive, fact-sensitive and interpretive work that is fundamental to excellence in practice." (see here: http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/lawyer ... /index.htm

This post confuses the hell out of me. Are you talking about NYLS or NYU in your first line? They are vastly different schools.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 am

engineered madness wrote:My law school mandates we take, in addition to Legal Writing, a quasi-clinical class which does not appear to have a parallel at the law schools that I am interested in transferring to. I was wondering if anyone had information as to whether law schools even consider these classes or simply look to the "meat and potatoes", doctrinal classes,e.g. Torts, Ks, Civ Pro, etc., for transfer evaluation? Hope this is clear. tyia

They mostly just look at your GPA. The sorting out of what classes transfer and what don't and actually caring about what you've taken so far only matters after you've been admitted.

Bramwell

Postby Bramwell » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:32 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Bramwell wrote:I imagine you are referring to Lawyering at NYLS.

Are you talking about NYLS or NYU in your first line? They are vastly different schools.

The OP is referring to NYLS's first year Lawyering class. My point is simply that the OP should consider that NYU also offers such a course in its first year. Thus, the OP should not think that the schools at which he/she seeks transfer will disregard the score in Lawyering, just because it is "idiosyncratic."

CCN-S Transfer

Postby CCN-S Transfer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:19 pm

I actually want to press a little more on this topic. for the people who have said that schools only care about overall rank and not individual grades, why do you say that? Do admissions offices really not care between a candidate with an A in civ pro and a B- in random quasi-law poli sci elective and another candidate with an A in random quasi-law poli sci elective and a B- in civ pro?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 am

CCN-S Transfer wrote:I actually want to press a little more on this topic. for the people who have said that schools only care about overall rank and not individual grades, why do you say that? Do admissions offices really not care between a candidate with an A in civ pro and a B- in random quasi-law poli sci elective and another candidate with an A in random quasi-law poli sci elective and a B- in civ pro?

No, not really. If you have grades that are strong enough to transfer up, your Bs will be understood as the exception no matter what class they were in. As long as you have the 5-6 As necessary to be at the top of your class, they don't care which class or two you got your Bs in.

Return to “Transfers”