Should beach transfer? (15% at T2) Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beach_terror

Platinum

Should beach transfer? (15% at T2)

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Okay, I've been wrestling with this for a few weeks now and I figure the awesome wisdom of TLS will help me. I realize 7/1 is the deadline too.

I'm top 15% at a T2. I pay sticker. I'm currently in the process of negotiating scholarship money at my school. If I don't get enough money that makes it attractive to stay, should I transfer?

I'm looking at GW, BC/BU, Fordham, etc. My endgame is environmental law. GW is attractive, if I get in, because of the D.C. location. The others are just higher ranked schools I'd rather pay for than my current school at the price I'm currently paying. I'm not too big into biglaw, but I'll take it if my environmental options don't pan out. Just FYI, my rank would get me almost every initial screener at my T2 (large secondary, 30+ big firms). I interview well and am very personable. Just by the way of proof, I managed to almost lock down an SA at my dream firm after first semester when my class rank wasn't nearly as good - so it had to have been my interviewing skills that carried me into the CB and beyond.

Bros and broettes, help me.

GeePee

Silver

Re: Should beach transfer? (15% at T2)

Post by GeePee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Hey dude. Do you have a preferred target market? If I remember correctly you're currently in the Philly area. I think that, especially in your situation, the place that you ultimately will want to end up makes a big difference.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

GeePee wrote:Hey dude. Do you have a preferred target market? If I remember correctly you're currently in the Philly area. I think that, especially in your situation, the place that you ultimately will want to end up makes a big difference.
Yep. If you want to stay in Philly, I wouldn't go to GW or BU/BC when you can pick up as many Philly screeners as you want where you are. Maybe if you were open to NYC or something, since the cost would be about the same, but then you might be burning your bridges in Philly if they question why you left the city in the first place.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Apply & see what develops. Consider applying to Duke since, even though it is a reach, you are eligible to apply as a transfer without being in the top 5% or top 10% as required by many top law schools.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:55 pm

GeePee wrote:Hey dude. Do you have a preferred target market? If I remember correctly you're currently in the Philly area. I think that, especially in your situation, the place that you ultimately will want to end up makes a big difference.
I suppose I "prefer" Philly, but I'm open to just about anything. I go to Villanova, and I don't think it'd be impossible to spin "my school has really been pissing me off with all that's gone on this year, and I wanted to be sure my degree doesn't devalue" etc. etc. In reality that's not really true, but it's not exactly far fetched either. I'm not in the running for Penn, so I'd pretty much have to leave the city to go to a better school. Also, @strat, I'd be down for NYC no problem. My life as I know it is in Philly, but a change of scenery is cool with me.
CanadianWolf wrote:Apply & see what develops. Consider applying to Duke since, even though it is a reach, you are eligible to apply as a transfer without being in the top 5% or top 10% as required by many top law schools.
What would you put my odds for Duke at? 10%?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Zero (0%) percent if you don't apply. Otherwise odds depend upon how many spaces are available, how many transfer applications are received & how well you plead your case. Duke had 20% fewer applications for first year admissions this cycle compared to last cycle. All you need is one strong advocate on the admissions committee.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:01 pm

beach_terror wrote:
I suppose I "prefer" Philly, but I'm open to just about anything. I go to Villanova, and I don't think it'd be impossible to spin "my school has really been pissing me off with all that's gone on this year, and I wanted to be sure my degree doesn't devalue" etc. etc. In reality that's not really true, but it's not exactly far fetched either. I'm not in the running for Penn, so I'd pretty much have to leave the city to go to a better school. Also, @strat, I'd be down for NYC no problem. My life as I know it is in Philly, but a change of scenery is cool with me.
CanadianWolf wrote:Apply & see what develops. Consider applying to Duke since, even though it is a reach, you are eligible to apply as a transfer without being in the top 5% or top 10% as required by many top law schools.
What would you put my odds for Duke at? 10%?
Yeah, then I'd probably do it unless they threw mad money at me. Just send 'em out everywhere and see what sticks

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Zero (0%) percent if you don't apply. Otherwise odds depend upon how many spaces are available, how many transfer applications are received & how well you plead your case. Duke had 20% fewer applications for first year admissions this cycle compared to last cycle. All you need is one strong advocate on the admissions committee.
Thank you for that necessary, and totally not obvious, statement.
stratocophic wrote:Yeah, then I'd probably do it unless they threw mad money at me. Just send 'em out everywhere and see what sticks
Okay, how far up do we think I have a reasonable shot of getting in at? Applying to transfer is crazy expensive. I'll toss in some reaches, but not a ridiculous amount.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:13 pm

My point is that it is a useless exercise trying to guesstimate odds of admission in this situation. If I estimated your odds at 16% or at 26%, it really shouldn't affect your decision as to whether or not to apply since Duke may be your only shot at a top 12 law school (Cornell requires top 10%).

Top 15% at Villanova Law isn't likely to get you into the top 14, but Georgetown & Duke are worth a shot, in my opinion. Much may depend upon your recommendations from current law profs.

P.S. Hope that wasn't too obvious to you already.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:My point is that it is a useless exercise trying to guesstimate odds of admission in this situation. If I estimated your odds at 16% or at 26%, it really shouldn't affect your decision as to whether or not to apply since Duke may be your only shot at a top 12 law school (Cornell requires top 10%).

Top 15% at Villanova Law isn't likely to get you into the top 14, but Georgetown & Duke are worth a shot, in my opinion. Much may depend upon your recommendations from current law profs.

P.S. Hope that wasn't too obvious to you already.
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I guess I was more asking whether there was any realistic shot. I might as well toss an app out. Do they typically give fee waivers for transfer apps (I could probably look this up) if I email and ask?

Current list:
GW
Georgetown
Duke
BC & BU
Fordham

Look reasonable?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Honestly I'm not convinced transferring to BC/BU/Fordham/GW would increase your employment prospects, but I'm open to being told that I'm wrong. Do you have any chance of LR at Nova?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:49 pm

GeePee wrote:Honestly I'm not convinced transferring to BC/BU/Fordham/GW would increase your employment prospects, but I'm open to being told that I'm wrong. Do you have any chance of LR at Nova?
Only shot is writing on, and I'm not sure how good my chances are (I worked my ass off on the competition though). I'll definitely get a secondary journal though. I was 2-10 spots shy of grading on.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:56 pm

duke would be solid, but i think your best reason for transferring here is if you want to target a different market (which sounds like gw/gulc), especially if you have a decent shot at LR. is your LR a combination of grade/write-on, or all writing if you miss the grade cut-off?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:58 pm

fatduck wrote:duke would be solid, but i think your best reason for transferring here is if you want to target a different market (which sounds like gw/gulc), especially if you have a decent shot at LR. is your LR a combination of grade/write-on, or all writing if you miss the grade cut-off?
All writing if you miss the grade cut-off. If I only got a B+ instead of a B in my 5 credit property :cry:

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:03 pm

beach_terror wrote:
fatduck wrote:duke would be solid, but i think your best reason for transferring here is if you want to target a different market (which sounds like gw/gulc), especially if you have a decent shot at LR. is your LR a combination of grade/write-on, or all writing if you miss the grade cut-off?
All writing if you miss the grade cut-off. If I only got a B+ instead of a B in my 5 credit property :cry:
ouch :|

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 pm

We've spoken through PM, so you know who I am and what my experience enatils. T
hese are my predictions.
beach_terror wrote: Current list:
GW ~ pretty good shot, since the xfer class is like 34098430948307430 people (srsly, though, about 100)
Georgetown ~ probably out, but possibly held until the last minute then admitted...e.g. after bidding deadlines end...so probably not very good odds here
Duke ~ undoubtedly out...sorry
BC & BU ~ slightly lower odds than GW, since their xfer classes are smaller...unless you've got a particularly compelling reason to be in beantown....
Fordham ~ from what I've heard, similar to BC/BU since xfer class here isn't that big...again, unless you've got a good reason...

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:16 pm

It sounds like perhaps you would be better off staying where you're at. You already said that you'll qualify for nearly all of the pre-select interviews at your school. You might have access to a larger and more prestigious pool of OCI employers at your targets (at least the ones which use a lottery). However, it seems like many of these slots would be a waste of your time since they would not have even considered you with your grades at Villanova (and median students at your targets, whom you'll sometimes be grouped with in the employer's mind, aren't exactly cleaning up ITE).

I don't see the point in tossing yourself into an unfamiliar market at schools which are placing 20-30% into biglaw when you seem to have better odds than that at your current school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:08 am

NarwhalPunter wrote:It sounds like perhaps you would be better off staying where you're at. You already said that you'll qualify for nearly all of the pre-select interviews at your school. You might have access to a larger and more prestigious pool of OCI employers at your targets (at least the ones which use a lottery). However, it seems like many of these slots would be a waste of your time since they would not have even considered you with your grades at Villanova (and median students at your targets, whom you'll sometimes be grouped with in the employer's mind, aren't exactly cleaning up ITE).

I don't see the point in tossing yourself into an unfamiliar market at schools which are placing 20-30% into biglaw when you seem to have better odds than that at your current school.
Well, my endgame is environmental law. GW would be good because it's in DC, and DC is where it's at for that. I'm really interested in government work, but I also realize it's super selective too.

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 am

beach_terror wrote:
NarwhalPunter wrote:It sounds like perhaps you would be better off staying where you're at. You already said that you'll qualify for nearly all of the pre-select interviews at your school. You might have access to a larger and more prestigious pool of OCI employers at your targets (at least the ones which use a lottery). However, it seems like many of these slots would be a waste of your time since they would not have even considered you with your grades at Villanova (and median students at your targets, whom you'll sometimes be grouped with in the employer's mind, aren't exactly cleaning up ITE).

Well, my endgame is environmental law. GW would be good because it's in DC, and DC is where it's at for that. I'm really interested in government work, but I also realize it's super selective too.
Gotcha. Why not just apply to GULC/GW and scratch the rest then? Fordham especially seems like financial suicide given that you can't participate in EIP as a transfer. BC and BU seem equally pointless.

Unless you're just trying to snag a random acceptance to use as leverage for scholarship money. In that case, I'd toss an app at WUSTL.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:25 am

NarwhalPunter wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Gotcha. Why not just apply to GULC/GW and scratch the rest then? Fordham especially seems like financial suicide given that you can't participate in EIP as a transfer. BC and BU seem equally pointless.

Unless you're just trying to snag a random acceptance to use as leverage for scholarship money. In that case, I'd toss an app at WUSTL.
Bingo. I'll add WUSTL then too, thanks! GW/GULC are two I'd actually go to though.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:11 am

gulc deadline passed I thought

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:34 am

GW and GULC was this past week.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:50 pm

mrosmith wrote:GW and GULC was this past week.
GW: The deadlines for submission of transfer applications are July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 pm

I love how you say you'll "take" biglaw if your environmental plans dont work out

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:09 pm

thecilent wrote:I love how you say you'll "take" biglaw if your environmental plans dont work out
Thanks 0L. When you finish your first year, come talk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”