Chances. Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rising2l

New

Chances.

Post by rising2l » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 pm

rising 2l at local philly school (not penn, not widener). 3.8 gpa, which according to last semester, is top 5%, or really close. chance me.

harvard
chicago
nyu
columbia
penn
georgetown
duke
stanford
yale
cornell

edit: i realize most, if not all, of these are out of my reach, so please, no derogatory comments.

Vronsky

Silver

Re: Chances.

Post by Vronsky » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:11 pm

rising2l wrote:rising 2l at local philly school (not penn, not widener). 3.8 gpa, which according to last semester, is top 5%, or really close. chance me.

harvard - 0
chicago - 0
nyu
columbia - 30% you get one of CN
penn - 50%
georgetown - 50% +
duke - i dunno
stanford - 0
yale - 0
cornell - 10-15% b/c small class size

edit: i realize most, if not all, of these are out of my reach, so please, no derogatory comments.

rising2l

New

Post by rising2l » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:14 pm

what does cn mean? sorry i'm not up to speed on any abbreviations.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:23 pm

cn = columbia/nyu

It makes a difference whether you are talking about temple, villanova, or drexel

Assuming you're at temple/nova, I'd say you get into gtown and you have a good shot at penn and a lesser one at CN. If you're at nova, you should know your % by the way.

rising2l

New

Post by rising2l » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:26 pm

not at nova. penn seems most difficult (besides yale, harvard, and stanford) since i'm local. some people that i talked to said i have a better shot at columbia/nyu. thoughts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I'd disagree. A lot of people say that t14 schools block off spots for transfer students from T2 schools in the same market. If you are top 5%, then there really aren't very many people from your own school that Penn would take over you, and I imagine that Penn accepts more transfers from temple & nova than from any other school.

On the other hand, Columbia and NYU take more students than Penn in total (and probably get more applications). In any case, nobody is really going to know the answer to this question because there isn't sufficient data to predict it, and everything is purely anecdotal, including the yahoo group.

rising2l

New

Post by rising2l » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:49 pm

right. i totally agree with you - it's a crapshoot to some degree. it can't hurt to apply, i suppose, to at least penn, columbia, nyu, and georgetown (which i already did). i don't know if it matters that i have certain accolades from this year (top grades, writing awards, moot court, journal), a great internship this summer, et cetera. most people on here say only grades matter, but some professors, judges, and attorneys have told me otherwise, so we'll see.

rising2l

New

Post by rising2l » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

i also don't know if this matters, but i got a 4.0 this semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”