Screwed by a Transfer Up?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Lawquacious » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:09 am

Still thinking about the possibility of transferring, although I think most, if not all, T14ish schools are likely out for me. But I'm posting because I heard something interesting today from someone at my school, that I imagine may be more common than is often acknowledged on here about transfers.

This person mentioned that one of his/her classmates (a year above me) transferred a year ago from our T50 to a T10 school. The T10 is a school that generally says they want top 5%+ students, so I think the guy prob did great here. He got no OCI firm offers at the T10 OCI, and is working for free (though the T10 does have some sort of program to help pay his costs for the summer). The person I was talking with said that he would have almost undoubtedly gotten a paying firm job with his grades if he had stayed at our school and done our T50 OCI, which I believe is entirely accurate.

Usually transferring up is for OCI purposes, but really doesn't the transfer hurt chances at OCI just as much as it could help? In most cases for a transfer to a top school the student is top 10% or better, so unless they go to a TTT type school I would think they are probably a shoe-in for a firm job where they are. Just curious, especially since the OCI thing is usually the rationale given for transferring.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:48 am

Nobody is a shoe in at any firm. Transferring usually presents an opportunity to do more OCI interviews. A lot can go wrong during interview season and cause a strike out that isn't within a candidates direct control. Nobody going through OCI has ever done OCI before, nobody knows how to perfectly bid or interview or research. Transfers definitely aren't always viewed in a favorable or consistent light, and will also fight against that X-factor.

Most importantly, top 10% at 'old school' would never have been a lock for somebody who transferred and struck out, because obviously they didn't have creds to guarantee an offer. It's not at all impossible that transferring hurt odds, but there's just no such thing as a lock.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby missinglink » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:58 am

..
Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby jstn1104 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:01 am

This is definitely a concern of mine as well. If anyone else has any insight into this potential problem, including which T10 schools have OCIs that are (or aren't) transfer-friendly, I would appreciate it.

D.Wilde
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:03 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby D.Wilde » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 am

I don't know about other schools, but as far as I know, all of the HLS transfers got offers from at least one (usually more) of their top choice firms. These firms included pretty much all of the Vault 25, with a few exceptions (I didn't hear of anyone landing Wachtell, and W&C displayed a distinctly hostile attitude toward at least one transfer explicitly due to his transfer status).

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:17 am

I've heard about transfers striking out as well; but I think it's basically because no one is guaranteed anything at OCI, and most transfers are coming from schools where even the #1 person is at risk for a strike out (whether they stay or go). So you basically have the risk of graduating jobless with little debt from your current school or the risk graduating jobless from a T10 with lots of debt.

I am interested in "transfer friendly" firms, though (for anyone who's been through OCI; and not YHS transfer who I would bet are at a FAR lower risk of striking out).

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby maf70 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:12 am

keg411 wrote:I've heard about transfers striking out as well; but I think it's basically because no one is guaranteed anything at OCI, and most transfers are coming from schools where even the #1 person is at risk for a strike out (whether they stay or go). So you basically have the risk of graduating jobless with little debt from your current school or the risk graduating jobless from a T10 with lots of debt.

I am interested in "transfer friendly" firms, though (for anyone who's been through OCI; and not YHS transfer who I would bet are at a FAR lower risk of striking out).

+1.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:16 am

I know plenty of transfers who got stuff at OCI and plenty of top 10% T2 students who didn't. There's really zero reason for a transfer to actually count against you. At least that's true in major markets -- maybe in some secondary markets there are weird pride/loyalty things with some interviewers, although I have no idea.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Vronsky » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:38 am

The title of this thread suggests "Screwed out of OCI BECAUSE of a transfer up," and I think therein lies the problem.

Everyone should realize that if you transfer from a T2 to a T10, you are still a T2 student who just put on new T10 clothes... during OCI, you won't have gone to that school for any period of time, and most likely you won't have attended any classes aside from perhaps the transfer orientation.

The advantage to transferring is that, in theory, it will result in more interviews. That's the only benefit. Whether or not a person does well in those interviews depends on that persons interview ability, but being a transfer has little impact (aside from a handful of firms that may be hostile to transfers).

Thus, the main difference is that at the T10, you should have 20+ interviews, whereas at the T2, you might have only 10. If someone is going to strike out with 20 interviews sitting in the T10 interview room, that person is also going to strike out with 10 interviews sitting in the T2 interview room.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Vronsky wrote:The title of this thread suggests "Screwed out of OCI BECAUSE of a transfer up," and I think therein lies the problem.

Everyone should realize that if you transfer from a T2 to a T10, you are still a T2 student who just put on new T10 clothes... during OCI, you won't have gone to that school for any period of time, and most likely you won't have attended any classes aside from perhaps the transfer orientation.

The advantage to transferring is that, in theory, it will result in more interviews. That's the only benefit. Whether or not a person does well in those interviews depends on that persons interview ability, but being a transfer has little impact (aside from a handful of firms that may be hostile to transfers).

Thus, the main difference is that at the T10, you should have 20+ interviews, whereas at the T2, you might have only 10. If someone is going to strike out with 20 interviews sitting in the T10 interview room, that person is also going to strike out with 10 interviews sitting in the T2 interview room.


+1

This is absolutely consistent with what I have observed, especially the bolded.

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby kswiss » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:16 pm

I am well inside the top 5% at my T2, and I am choosing not to transfer partly because of this. I did a bunch of 1L SA interviews with the local (secondary market) firms, my summer job is in this area, and this is where I want to live. I have the stats to xfer, but for the market I want to work in I made the calculated choice to stay: I'll graduate with less debt and I'm pretty sure I'll have a better shot at this market with a single digit rank at my current school than at the closest T14 800 miles away. At least I hope so.

When asked to prove I want to be in this market, I can say, "Look, with my grades I could have transferred to XX or XX, but I chose to stay because I want to be in this market."

I'm wondering if I will regret it though, since I know I could get into at least a few elite schools. I know I'll regret it if I don't get an SA for next year.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:31 pm

kswiss wrote:When asked to prove I want to be in this market, I can say, "Look, with my grades I could have transferred to XX or XX, but I chose to stay because I want to be in this market."


Don't even consider saying this or anything remotely like this in an interview. Jesus.

rapstar
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby rapstar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:
kswiss wrote:When asked to prove I want to be in this market, I can say, "Look, with my grades I could have transferred to XX or XX, but I chose to stay because I want to be in this market."


Don't even consider saying this or anything remotely like this in an interview. Jesus.


+1

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby random5483 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Transferring is a risk. It won't always turn out well. Figure out if it makes sense based on your individual circumstances.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Br3v » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm

D.Wilde wrote:I don't know about other schools, but as far as I know, all of the HLS transfers got offers from at least one (usually more) of their top choice firms. These firms included pretty much all of the Vault 25, with a few exceptions (I didn't hear of anyone landing Wachtell, and W&C displayed a distinctly hostile attitude toward at least one transfer explicitly due to his transfer status).


Thats stupid. They still are attending.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Total Litigator » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:27 pm

It could also be that they are just terrible at interviewing / an awkward person. I know a guy who is top 3% at a 50-60 ranked school but he is absolutely the most awkward/annoying person ever and no one would even give him a call back (not even the smaller firms he resorted to later in the year).

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:19 am

Total Litigator wrote:It could also be that they are just terrible at interviewing / an awkward person. I know a guy who is top 3% at a 50-60 ranked school but he is absolutely the most awkward/annoying person ever and no one would even give him a call back (not even the smaller firms he resorted to later in the year).


glad to see they look at more than what is just on paper. I wonder if that works in reverse? Not top 5% number wise but good head on shoulders/interviewed well.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby missinglink » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:42 am

Br3v wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:It could also be that they are just terrible at interviewing / an awkward person. I know a guy who is top 3% at a 50-60 ranked school but he is absolutely the most awkward/annoying person ever and no one would even give him a call back (not even the smaller firms he resorted to later in the year).


glad to see they look at more than what is just on paper. I wonder if that works in reverse? Not top 5% number wise but good head on shoulders/interviewed well.

Depends. Grades are usually what gets you in the door in a lot of places. If you don't make the cut-off, you don't even get to show how well you come across.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:16 pm

rapstar wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
kswiss wrote:When asked to prove I want to be in this market, I can say, "Look, with my grades I could have transferred to XX or XX, but I chose to stay because I want to be in this market."


Don't even consider saying this or anything remotely like this in an interview. Jesus.


+1


Yeah, a statement like that is a quick way to make any interviewer's douche-o-meter go through the roof, haha.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:36 pm

missinglink wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Total Litigator wrote:It could also be that they are just terrible at interviewing / an awkward person. I know a guy who is top 3% at a 50-60 ranked school but he is absolutely the most awkward/annoying person ever and no one would even give him a call back (not even the smaller firms he resorted to later in the year).


glad to see they look at more than what is just on paper. I wonder if that works in reverse? Not top 5% number wise but good head on shoulders/interviewed well.

Depends. Grades are usually what gets you in the door in a lot of places. If you don't make the cut-off, you don't even get to show how well you come across.


Yeah unfortunately this is the truth. The exception is that sometimes a resume with great experiences / abilities on it will allow for the benefit of the doubt that you might be a cool functioning guy/girl. This will sometimes give you some leeway in relation to your grades, but its always in relation to your grades.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 pm

numbers game

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:17 am

As long as you can articulate a semi-legit reason, I have serious doubts as to somebody being in a tangibly worse position during OCI compared to the experience they would have received had they remained at their old school. Sure, maybe the guy who was top 7% at Pepperdine transfers to Berkeley and strikes out at OCI, but unless you can offer up some proof that he wouldn't have received the same result had he stayed at Pepperdine, I fail to see the point. At least he has a better alumni network to fall back on and a flashier LS name to show on his resume during his job search. Clerkships are another story and I think there is some definite truth to a transfer possibly hurting you in that regard, but only in certain circumstances, e.g. transferring away from a very good school that is already placing +5% in ArtIII clerkships.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:50 am

Helmholtz wrote:As long as you can articulate a semi-legit reason, I have serious doubts as to somebody being in a tangibly worse position during OCI compared to the experience they would have received had they remained at their old school. Sure, maybe the guy who was top 7% at Pepperdine transfers to Berkeley and strikes out at OCI, but unless you can offer up some proof that he wouldn't have received the same result had he stayed at Pepperdine, I fail to see the point. At least he has a better alumni network to fall back on and a flashier LS name to show on his resume during his job search. Clerkships are another story and I think there is some definite truth to a transfer possibly hurting you in that regard, but only in certain circumstances, e.g. transferring away from a very good school that is already placing +5% in ArtIII clerkships.


real question...how would it hurt in regards to a clerkship?

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 am

Br3v wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:As long as you can articulate a semi-legit reason, I have serious doubts as to somebody being in a tangibly worse position during OCI compared to the experience they would have received had they remained at their old school. Sure, maybe the guy who was top 7% at Pepperdine transfers to Berkeley and strikes out at OCI, but unless you can offer up some proof that he wouldn't have received the same result had he stayed at Pepperdine, I fail to see the point. At least he has a better alumni network to fall back on and a flashier LS name to show on his resume during his job search. Clerkships are another story and I think there is some definite truth to a transfer possibly hurting you in that regard, but only in certain circumstances, e.g. transferring away from a very good school that is already placing +5% in ArtIII clerkships.


real question...how would it hurt in regards to a clerkship?


Losing connections for clerkship LORs. At least that's what I've been told.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Screwed by a Transfer Up?

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Br3v wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:As long as you can articulate a semi-legit reason, I have serious doubts as to somebody being in a tangibly worse position during OCI compared to the experience they would have received had they remained at their old school. Sure, maybe the guy who was top 7% at Pepperdine transfers to Berkeley and strikes out at OCI, but unless you can offer up some proof that he wouldn't have received the same result had he stayed at Pepperdine, I fail to see the point. At least he has a better alumni network to fall back on and a flashier LS name to show on his resume during his job search. Clerkships are another story and I think there is some definite truth to a transfer possibly hurting you in that regard, but only in certain circumstances, e.g. transferring away from a very good school that is already placing +5% in ArtIII clerkships.


real question...how would it hurt in regards to a clerkship?


Losing connections for clerkship LORs. At least that's what I've been told.


so you have to know judge for awhile to get spot?




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.