Accepting Law Review Offer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jstn1104

Accepting Law Review Offer

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 pm

I just got an email confirming that I'm being offered a position on my school's Law Review. They want me to notify them whether I'm accepting the offer within 48 hours.

I haven't heard back yet from any of the transfer schools I've applied to, but obviously if I don't transfer I want to be on Law Review at the school I'm already at.

I'm assuming this sort of thing happens all the time, but the email doesn't make any mention of pending transfer applications, revoking your acceptance to the Law Review, etc. Do people who transfer tend to just accept these positions and then revoke their acceptance if they end up transferring? It doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with that if the offer doesn't say anything about the acceptance being binding, irrevocable, etc.

blsingindisguise

Re: Accepting Law Review Offer

Postby blsingindisguise » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Just accept. People accept and transfer all the time.

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:01 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Just accept. People accept and transfer all the time.

That's what I figured.

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Yes, you can still accept and transfer. Same thing happened to me last year. Just be professional about withdrawing (when/if the time comes) and, obviously, give plenty of advance notice. They no doubt have a list of alternatives waiting in the wings.

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:11 pm

studebaker07 wrote:Yes, you can still accept and transfer. Same thing happened to me last year. Just be professional about withdrawing (when/if the time comes) and, obviously, give plenty of advance notice. They no doubt have a list of alternatives waiting in the wings.

Yeah, actually my concern is that one of my closest friends here is 1 spot away from grading on, and I don't want to screw him over. I'm sure he'll probably get on whether I transfer or not, but I want him to get on ASAP. I guess it's out of my control at this point, I just gotta wait til I hear back from the transfer schools.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:16 am

A delay in a law review offer to a friend is not enough of a reason to decline it. If you stay at the school after declining a law review invite, you will be seriously upset with yourself. Not to mention, some schools oversend invites to law review because they anticipate some transfers. One person rejecting law review will not necessarily result in your friends automatic acceptance.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:50 am

Accept! Your friend will get on Law Review if he deserves a spot (i.e. if he can write on).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:53 am

Danteshek wrote:Accept! Your friend will get on Law Review if he deserves a spot (i.e. if he can write on).

Actually, I think he would get on through grade-on if he is next in line once you withdraw from the school..

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 am

But I would def tell them 'yes, I accept' (or something similar) and leave it at that for now...

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:05 am

Yeah, I accepted. I really wasn't planning on declining the offer, just wanted to make sure that it's common amongst transfers to accept and then transfer.

TFR

Postby TFR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:30 pm

When you accept, do you notify of your intentions to transfer?

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm

jstn1104 wrote:I just got an email confirming that I'm being offered a position on my school's Law Review.

Congrats

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:22 pm

I just told the EIC I accepted but might be transferring. It's not like the dude can cut me or something because I didn't value the offer enough.

TFR

Postby TFR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm

mileslibertatis wrote:I just told the EIC I accepted but might be transferring. It's not like the dude can cut me or something because I didn't value the offer enough.

Thanks for the reply. Who is the EIC, and why cant they rescind their offer if they feel like it? Just dont want to make the wrong move.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:31 pm

TFR wrote:When you accept, do you notify of your intentions to transfer?

No. This information should only be on a need to know basis. Law review editors donor need to know until you actually leave.

TFR

Postby TFR » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:33 pm

TTRansfer wrote:
TFR wrote:When you accept, do you notify of your intentions to transfer?

No. This information should only be on a need to know basis. Law review editors donor need to know until you actually leave.

Thanks so far I got one reply to notify, and one not to. Acceptance seems binding, so I was concerned.

mileslibertatis

Postby mileslibertatis » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Acceptance is binding in that it makes you a member of LR. But it's not like you have a term of years on your LR contract. You don't even really have to resign, since losing your matriculated student status will automatically remove you.

EIC is editor-in-chief. Some journals will call them president or something other title.

If you have earned your spot, they can't revoke it just because they feel dissed. I explicitly told the EIC that I was looking forward to working with him in the fall unless I transferred. I felt this was an honest and reasonable answer.

There is, however, wisdom in being discrete about your transfer move. If you have concerns related to that, I would just accept and let them know later.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:26 pm

I mean, what would or could they even do to you if you accepted and then transferred? Write you a strongly worded email?

If they don't want people to do what you're contemplating, they shouldn't require a decision within 48 hours at the end of June - especially for LR, given the increased likelihood of an offeree transferring.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Law schools that send out law review invitations in June probably do so in part to make the best students reconsider transferring.

Return to “Transfers”