top 15% school 40-50

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

top 15% school 40-50

Postby Headybrah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm

what are my options

any shot at Georgetown?
Boston Schools?
GW

anything else I should look into

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby Headybrah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 pm

also should say want New England or CA market or NYC - whatever is best for job or big law shots...
know they are slim but, figured I should go for it.

Not a fan of my school's home market

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby mbusch22 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Have you already applied to any schools? If not you're really behind. Especially for GULC



Also, viewtopic.php?f=27&t=148138

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby Headybrah » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:05 pm

mbusch22 wrote:Have you already applied to any schools? If not you're really behind. Especially for GULC



Also, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=148138


Im behind because most schools don't review apps until transcripts are sent and seeing that grades for most schools are just out this week, I doubt I am too far behind.

I have everything in to a few schools and just want to know how high I can shoot.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby thexfactor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 am

My guess is that
you will get into every school lower than WUSTL ( not including USC)
Check out ND, emory, wustl,bc,bu,gw. You will get into 5/6 of them. You prob wouldnt get into ucla/vandy/georgetown.

User avatar
nativedelta
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby nativedelta » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:19 am

I started out at Catholic (T2 ranked 79 this year, but ranked 89 when we transferred in 2009). Most of my close friends and I transferred.

I went to George Mason at half the price.
2 of my friends ended up at GW. One was top 6%. The other was top 12%. Both gave up their substantial scholarships at Catholic to attend GW at sticker price.

The top 12% friend graduated in GW's top 15% last month. The top 6% friend was in GW's top 35%.

Both are unemployed, as am I.

The lesson is if transferring saves you half what you would have spent on your law education, consider it. If not, consider the prospect of being as much or more in debt with equally terrible job prospects.

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby Headybrah » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:25 am

nativedelta wrote:I started out at Catholic (T2 ranked 79 this year, but ranked 89 when we transferred in 2009). Most of my close friends and I transferred.

I went to George Mason at half the price.
2 of my friends ended up at GW. One was top 6%. The other was top 12%. Both gave up their substantial scholarships at Catholic to attend GW at sticker price.

The top 12% friend graduated in GW's top 15% last month. The top 6% friend was in GW's top 35%.

Both are unemployed, as am I.

The lesson is if transferring saves you half what you would have spent on your law education, consider it. If not, consider the prospect of being as much or more in debt with equally terrible job prospects.


I appreciate the help, but sometimes its seems like people don't read on here. I never said I had a scholarship. I said I didnt like the market my school feeds into, and i asked questions you did not answer....

Sorry for being frustrated but sometimes people refuse to read here. They also seem to try to scare others way too much - I get the unemployment thing, Im not dumb.

User avatar
yinz
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby yinz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:51 am

Headybrah wrote:
I appreciate the help, but sometimes its seems like people don't read on here. I never said I had a scholarship. I said I didnt like the market my school feeds into, and i asked questions you did not answer....

Sorry for being frustrated but sometimes people refuse to read here. They also seem to try to scare others way too much - I get the unemployment thing, Im not dumb.


Retake LSAT?

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby Vronsky » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:22 am

Headybrah wrote:
nativedelta wrote:I started out at Catholic (T2 ranked 79 this year, but ranked 89 when we transferred in 2009). Most of my close friends and I transferred.

I went to George Mason at half the price.
2 of my friends ended up at GW. One was top 6%. The other was top 12%. Both gave up their substantial scholarships at Catholic to attend GW at sticker price.

The top 12% friend graduated in GW's top 15% last month. The top 6% friend was in GW's top 35%.

Both are unemployed, as am I.

The lesson is if transferring saves you half what you would have spent on your law education, consider it. If not, consider the prospect of being as much or more in debt with equally terrible job prospects.


I appreciate the help, but sometimes its seems like people don't read on here. I never said I had a scholarship. I said I didnt like the market my school feeds into, and i asked questions you did not answer....

Sorry for being frustrated but sometimes people refuse to read here. They also seem to try to scare others way too much - I get the unemployment thing, Im not dumb.


I hear you, brah. I'm not sure what his point is, but he transferred INTO a school similar to the one you are considering transferring OUT of.

If you don't have a scholarship at your current school, you have a strong reason to transfer if you can move up enough.

To answer the OP, your school rank is fairly decent but your class rank isn't elite. To that end, I would apply to GULC, UCLA, GW, WUSTL?, ND, BC and BU. Outside of those schools, i.e. Emory and Fordham and such aren't really moving up enough, and Fordham doesn't allow transfers to participate in the first part of OCI.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: top 15% school 40-50

Postby thexfactor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 pm

OP: Apply to a ton of schools. You prob woudln't get into vandy or better so I would really think hard about transferring. Top 15% might be good enough to get biglaw/midlaw in a t40-50. If you transfer to a school that is outside the region of your current school, they might have a hard time evaluating how good top 15% is.

Id say if you get into vandy or better, it would be totally worth transferring. If you only get into ND/WUSTL/Emory/GW I think the decision would be a lot harder.

GOod luck... who knows? you might get vandy or better!




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.