Prospective Harvard Transfer Class of 2013

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
froggymc

Re: Prospective Harvard Transfer Class of 2013

Postby froggymc » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey guys, anybody lookin for a roommate in the Cambridge area? If you are, or know of anybody that is, please PM me! Friendly, respectful female here looking for a place nearby campus. :)

johndoe90239

Postby johndoe90239 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:55 am

Random question: did anyone get a binder from HLS, or have they stopped sending those out to admitted students. I got the letter and put my deposit down, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any important information.

SkyRiver

Postby SkyRiver » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:56 pm

I only got a letter as well. The bulk of the important info (i.e., info related to EIP and financial aid) has been communicated to me so far through emails; so if you haven't got your online account set up, do that ASAP.

I'm a little sad that it seems we won't be getting binders (as of yet), but the admitted student pages are all very well-written and thorough and definitely seem to get the info we need across.

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Did any admits send unofficial transcripts?

johndoe90239

Postby johndoe90239 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:08 pm

SkyRiver wrote:I only got a letter as well. The bulk of the important info (i.e., info related to EIP and financial aid) has been communicated to me so far through emails; so if you haven't got your online account set up, do that ASAP.

I'm a little sad that it seems we won't be getting binders (as of yet), but the admitted student pages are all very well-written and thorough and definitely seem to get the info we need across.

Thanks, I agree that the admitted students pages are well written and that they've done a good job of getting us the essential info via email, but i just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else (since it says "binder" on the status checker). I'm a little sad too about the binders, but honestly it seems absurd to feel sad about anything right now, after all we're going to HLS!

D.Wilde

Postby D.Wilde » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Don't get too disappointed. I was all excited about the "binder" last year... When I finally got it, I was a bit underwhelmed. It's just a little spiral-bound booklet about how cool HLS is. There's vastly more useful and exciting info scattered about the website (and the course catalog).

jdown87

Postby jdown87 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Another transfer roommate post! Not fussy in terms of location, willing to live with males or females (I am male).

Also, I have a little flexibility in that I am looking for housing for 1-2 ppl, as I have a possible roommate - a friend who is starting a job downtown so he is willing to live with me as long as it isn't too far from the red line, or just move closer to work.

Last, I am willing to live in Davis or Porter or Central too (as long as the walk to the T isn't long).

PM me or just post, either way, and we can figure things out. I'm in Boston for the summer so can do some viewings as well.

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 pm

still waiting, guess I'm either "transfer waitlisted" or on the bottom of the pile because my official final transcript must have only just arrived (not sure what it means that they can reach "tentative" decisions based on unofficial trans).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 pm

D.Wilde wrote:Don't get too disappointed. I was all excited about the "binder" last year... When I finally got it, I was a bit underwhelmed. It's just a little spiral-bound booklet about how cool HLS is. There's vastly more useful and exciting info scattered about the website (and the course catalog).

There was a binder last year? :shock: :? :cry:

D.Wilde

Postby D.Wilde » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 am

vanwinkle wrote:
D.Wilde wrote:Don't get too disappointed. I was all excited about the "binder" last year... When I finally got it, I was a bit underwhelmed. It's just a little spiral-bound booklet about how cool HLS is. There's vastly more useful and exciting info scattered about the website (and the course catalog).

I had to pester them to get one, but yes. That being said, it was a tremendous letdown. You didn't miss anything, I promise.

phoenixsoars

Postby phoenixsoars » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Last edited by phoenixsoars on Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D.Wilde

Postby D.Wilde » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 am

phoenixsoars wrote:
D.Wilde wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I had to pester them to get one, but yes. That being said, it was a tremendous letdown. You didn't miss anything, I promise.

Agreed. The "binder" was definitely a let down. They sent me a 1L binder, so it had the wrong class year too.

Me too!

Colonial1127

Postby Colonial1127 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Fellow admits, any one else eager to send out deposit and happily seal the deal? Or will you wait until hearing from Y?

IthacaIsWet

Postby IthacaIsWet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 am

How long were you guys "ready for review" before hearing back?

Is it normal for it to be sitting at that status for 8 days?

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:05 am

IthacaIsWet wrote:How long were you guys "ready for review" before hearing back?

Is it normal for it to be sitting at that status for 8 days?

13 and waiting.

froggymc

Postby froggymc » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:49 am

Colonial1127 wrote:Fellow admits, any one else eager to send out deposit and happily seal the deal? Or will you wait until hearing from Y?

I have the same problem with S (not saying I'd choose one over the other, but I wanted to know my final options). I'm thinking of just taking S's difficulty in rendering a decision to its transfers as a divine sign and committing to H.

Edit (Clarification - same problem as those waiting to hear from Y...)

johndoe90239

Postby johndoe90239 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 pm

I decided not to wait on Yale, so I've gone ahead and put down my deposit, picked up my student ID, and even had a meeting with OCS about EIP (the woman at OCS was amazing btw). That said, I just wanted to point out that I don't think there was any language in the acceptance letter or app that requires withdrawing other apps when you accept, so even if you do get into Yale or Stanford you may be able to withdraw and just forfeit your deposit, but I'm not sure. Clearly I could have missed something, and contracts was my worst class, but the deadline is so soon that I'm surprised people are still waiting.

Disclaimer: The author has no qualification to give advice and any statements made by the author are exclusively an expression of the author's opinion.

TransferRisk

Postby TransferRisk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Did any admits get onto law review? Are they finished announcing law review results?

johndoe90239

Postby johndoe90239 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 pm

TransferRisk wrote:Did any admits get onto law review? Are they finished announcing law review results?

I didn't think I had a chance of getting in after 2nd semester finals so I didn't bother.

Colonial1127

Postby Colonial1127 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Same boat here -- I did not compete in the LR competition, and am somewhat kicking myself for that now. However, I was told by an admit from last cycle that zero transfers were taken onto LR last year, for what that's worth.

I called H and the deadline (22nd for me) refers to date postmarked as opposed to date arrived. I will likely wait until Thurs/Fri to send it out then, despite my near certainty and enthusiasm to attend! Working my way through financial aid forms this week.

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:15 am

Colonial1127 wrote:Same boat here -- I did not compete in the LR competition, and am somewhat kicking myself for that now. However, I was told by an admit from last cycle that zero transfers were taken onto LR last year, for what that's worth.

I called H and the deadline (22nd for me) refers to date postmarked as opposed to date arrived. I will likely wait until Thurs/Fri to send it out then, despite my near certainty and enthusiasm to attend! Working my way through financial aid forms this week.

For all of us still waiting, if you know your choice please let hls know sooner than later if you can. Thanks

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:50 pm

As it seems that I am the only nonsuperlate applicant still waiting here I'd be really happy if any of you who aren't gonna accept let harvard know asap.

kissmysass

Postby kissmysass » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:20 am

I’ve found a great 2BR apartment that’s only five minutes away from the law school, and I’m looking for a roommate to share the apartment with me. The apartment is a 3rd floor unit at 19 Garden Street. The building has on-site management, elevators, and laundry in the basement.

The price, including hot water and heat, is $1050/month each. We’d also need to split the broker fee of $2100 total. The lease would start in early August (probably August 9th or 10th) and last for the entire calendar year. We’d be able to sublet during the summer to recoup rent.

This apartment unit is currently on hold for me until the end of today (Thursday), after which it goes to the next group waiting in line. I’m 25/F and looking, ideally, for a female roommate who doesn’t smoke. If you’re interested in this unit, please PM me ASAP. I have photos and a video of the unit that I can send. Thanks, and I look forward to meeting the other transfers in a few weeks!

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 pm

So how many admits are accepting/declining?

Fishmouse

Postby Fishmouse » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 am

Have all admits responded to harvard by email?

Return to “Transfers”