T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AugustaMasters
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby AugustaMasters » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Congrats to everyone who got Penn (and Mich) today! Hope to hear something positive soon.

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby lawstudent1986 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Finally got the email from Columbia saying my application is complete. That took a while.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm

acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer! I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....

Huh? You're still in the application process, but you already know which firms will or won't interview you at OCI? I'm calling shenanigans.

arthurhk
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby arthurhk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 pm

lawstudent1986 wrote:Finally got the email from Columbia saying my application is complete. That took a while.


How long did it take?

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby lawstudent1986 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 pm

arthurhk wrote:
lawstudent1986 wrote:Finally got the email from Columbia saying my application is complete. That took a while.


How long did it take?


I submitted my application on June 19, but the one thing that was holding it up was the letter of good standing--annoying because that actually went in BEFORE the rest of my application, probably around June 8.

acore8604
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby acore8604 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:19 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer! I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....

Huh? You're still in the application process, but you already know which firms will or won't interview you at OCI? I'm calling shenanigans.


I put my deposit down on one school while I wait to see what others get back to me. That's how I know what's on their OCI and this is a top 10 school.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby mbusch22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 pm

.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 pm

acore8604 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer! I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....

Huh? You're still in the application process, but you already know which firms will or won't interview you at OCI? I'm calling shenanigans.


I put my deposit down on one school while I wait to see what others get back to me. That's how I know what's on their OCI and this is a top 10 school.


I'm confused... how do you know they won't interview you if they do OCI both at your home school and your new school?

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:40 pm

acore8604 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer! I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....

Huh? You're still in the application process, but you already know which firms will or won't interview you at OCI? I'm calling shenanigans.


I put my deposit down on one school while I wait to see what others get back to me. That's how I know what's on their OCI and this is a top 10 school.


So just stay at your old school if your dream firm recruits there. This doesn't make any sense.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 am

Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby concurrent fork » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:01 am

acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer!

1. This is untrue save for a handful of uber selective firms (WLRK)

acore8604 wrote:I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....

2. How can you possibly know this if you have not gone through OCI yet? Did the firm call you and instruct you not to bid on them?

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby DeSimone » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 am

kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.

Movement at NYU is a good sign. Still UR 7/1 (retroactively adjusted earlier this week) here.

Anyone else with "decision letter sent" or any luck with the admitted students site?

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.

stats?

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby tfer2222 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 am

kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.


I'm still UR 6/30

jstn1104
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby jstn1104 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:47 am

tfer2222 wrote:
kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.


I'm still UR 6/30


Same.

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby Vronsky » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:53 am

concurrent fork wrote:
acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer!

1. This is untrue save for a handful of uber selective firms (WLRK)

acore8604 wrote:I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....

2. How can you possibly know this if you have not gone through OCI yet? Did the firm call you and instruct you not to bid on them?


maybe s/he bid them super low at whatever T14 and didn't get an interview in the lottery, whereas at the old school it was pre-select?

lawstudent1986
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby lawstudent1986 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:24 am

jstn1104 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.


I'm still UR 6/30


Same.


Still UR at NYU 6/27

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 am

lawstudent1986 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.


I'm still UR 6/30


Same.


Still UR at NYU 6/27


Same, except 7/4 :(

User avatar
tww909
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:41 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby tww909 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 am

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:
lawstudent1986 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:I'm still UR 6/30


Same.


Still UR at NYU 6/27


Same, except 7/4 :(


if it makes all of you feel better i've been stuck at "application processing" since 6/20 despite them having everything they need and not replying to my emails asking what is going on.

at least columbia pulled themselves together. i got the complete email last night.

sawyerkid
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:51 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby sawyerkid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 am

does Columbia need a letter of good standing from undergraduate and graduate schools (if you did grad work)? this seems ridiculous considering they get a letter of good standing from the law school as well.

johndoe90239
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:46 am

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby johndoe90239 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 am

sawyerkid wrote:does Columbia need a letter of good standing from undergraduate and graduate schools (if you did grad work)? this seems ridiculous considering they get a letter of good standing from the law school as well.


YES, and they're not the only ones, most schools seems to require an undergraduate dean cert in addition to one from your current law school.

ms2010
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby ms2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:20 am

if it makes all of you feel better i've been stuck at "application processing" since 6/20 despite them having everything they need and not replying to my emails asking what is going on.

at least columbia pulled themselves together. i got the complete email last night.[/


Same here.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby kaiser » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 am

Sort of odd that I"m the only one on here with "decision letter sent" from NYU. At least we rip the bandaid off quickly. Surprised they are gonna reject me this fast (since the admitted student login still doesn't work, so I'm not trying to kid myself)

User avatar
Vronsky
Posts: 829
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby Vronsky » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

kaiser wrote:Sort of odd that I"m the only one on here with "decision letter sent" from NYU. At least we rip the bandaid off quickly. Surprised they are gonna reject me this fast (since the admitted student login still doesn't work, so I'm not trying to kid myself)

There are so many assumptions in this. It's possible the could just email you if you are rejected, but might reserve actual snail mail for acceptances. No one else has a Decision Letter Sent status, so we have no clue what it means. Also, the pattern so far is that the initial wave of decisions are mostly acceptances, and thereafter a mix of acceptances/rejections/and waitlists.

Also, I'm still UR from 6/24!

C'mon people, today's the day!

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 am

kaiser, I would bet that it's good news based on your numbers and the acceptances you've been getting.

BTW, I called a bunch of the schools I was worried about today, and it seems they're just being slow in completing the files and most them have received my information. I'm kind of sad that I missed out on the first wave of acceptances at everywhere but NU and Cornell (and the latter takes a miniscule transfer class anyway), but I do feel a little better in general.

I also finally sent my undergrad transcript to NYU.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.