T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
schwar46

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby schwar46 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:36 pm

My Barry app went UR today... anyone know if Nova has a status checker?

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:37 pm

kaiser wrote:My Penn status updated to today as well. When I applied the first time, I just saw my decision in the status checker, and that was that.

From their FAQ page:

Applicants will be notified by email when their application is received, again when their application file is complete and at other times to provide an update on the status of their application. Additionally, applicants will be able to check the status of their application at any time using Online Status, Penn Law's online status checker.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

finally went complete and forwarded for review at SLS today

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:39 pm

for people who have seen date changes at Penn - how many times has your date changed?

I first went UR on 6/24, and then updated on 6/30, but no movement since.

Has anyone seen it happen 3 times?

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Good question, that would be interesting to know.. I went UR 6/30 now 7/6 so only two for me

ReversedAndRemanded

Postby ReversedAndRemanded » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm

I was processing at NYU for over a week (even though I knew everything was in), so I called yesterday and they confirmed over the phone that my application was complete. Finally went UR today, except the date the status changed was 7/1? Yesterday I was definitely still processing. So strange.

AugustaMasters

Postby AugustaMasters » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:25 pm

NYU told me they did not have my official law school transcripts and I sent it out over 3 weeks ago. I sent out 4 transcripts at once from my current school. Now I am wondering if Columbia does not have my transcripts either because it was sent in the same batch. I sent Columbia an email asking what files I am missing yesterday but it could take them up to 5 days to even respond. Should I call Columbia? It is getting pretty late and I am starting to worry I am too late for any of these schools due to an administrative error.

a5L

Postby a5L » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Columbia and NYU were the only two schools who havent received my transcripts and I sent them over 3 weeks ago

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 pm

So Northwestern apparently got my letter of good standing in Chicago, but Penn didn't get it from across the river? WTF? I blame holiday mail sorting.

Note to future transfer applicants: do your letters of good standing BEFORE everything else (basically the second your grades come in). I blame myself on this for waiting way too long, and my requests ended up conflicting with my Dean's vacation and the 4th of July holiday.

ReversedAndRemanded

Postby ReversedAndRemanded » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:50 pm

keg411 wrote:So Northwestern apparently got my letter of good standing in Chicago, but Penn didn't get it from across the river? WTF? I blame holiday mail sorting.

Note to future transfer applicants: do your letters of good standing BEFORE everything else (basically the second your grades come in). I blame myself on this for waiting way too long, and my requests ended up conflicting with my Dean's vacation and the 4th of July holiday.

I had the same issue with Penn - they were the last to receive my Letter of Good Standing (still haven't received it actually). I called them and they told me on the phone that, unfortunately, all mail sent to Penn gets sent to one place, and then is sorted and distributed. The suggestion I got was to have your current school e-mail Penn a copy of the letter.

Of course, this will only work if the person at your school is amenable to it, but I had my school do it this morning and I'm now (finally) complete at Penn.

quiver

Postby quiver » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:04 pm

wh3931110 wrote:Good question, that would be interesting to know.. I went UR 6/30 now 7/6 so only two for me

Penn: I went from UR 6/28 to 7/6 so only two for me as well. Any guesses?

ms2010

Postby ms2010 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:10 pm

ReversedAndRemanded wrote:
keg411 wrote:So Northwestern apparently got my letter of good standing in Chicago, but Penn didn't get it from across the river? WTF? I blame holiday mail sorting.

I had the same issue with Penn - they were the last to receive my Letter of Good Standing (still haven't received it actually). I called them and they told me on the phone that, unfortunately, all mail sent to Penn gets sent to one place, and then is sorted and distributed. The suggestion I got was to have your current school e-mail Penn a copy of the letter.

Of course, this will only work if the person at your school is amenable to it, but I had my school do it this morning and I'm now (finally) complete at Penn.

Anyone know if this can be done with transcripts? They still haven't processed mine.

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:11 pm

how long after your application was submitted to NYU did you receive the status checker information?

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:27 pm

sjedood wrote:how long after your application was submitted to NYU did you receive the status checker information?

like three weeks for me, but I submitted really early in May.

Note to future transfer applicants: do your letters of good standing BEFORE everything else (basically the second your grades come in). I blame myself on this for waiting way too long, and my requests ended up conflicting with my Dean's vacation and the 4th of July holidayAnyone know if this can be done with transcripts? They still haven't processed mine.

I'd actually recommend getting your letters of good standing and certs even before you get your spring grades. I requested mine the day after exams ended and had them sign the envelope so I could then send them myself (I didn't trust them to do it in a timely fashion). I mean if you're not in good standing after grades come out, you probably wouldn't get admitted in the first place, so get them in as early as possible. This way, once your final grade is released, receipt of your transcript will complete your file (and some schools even completed me with an unofficial transcript emailed to them)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:29 pm

tfer2222 wrote:I'd actually recommend getting your letters of good standing and certs even before you get your spring grades. I requested mine the day after exams ended and had them sign the envelope so I could then send them myself (I didn't trust them to do it in a timely fashion). I mean if you're not in good standing after grades come out, you probably wouldn't get admitted in the first place, so get them in as early as possible. This way, once your final grade is released, receipt of your transcript will complete your file (and some schools even completed me with an unofficial transcript emailed to them)

Yeah, I did this for Georgetown/Berk/Chicago super early and had no problems (well, minus the two rejections, but it's doubtful either had anything to do with the letter). And we don't even rank, so it's not like I had to wait for that. Why I waited on the rest, I still don't know. I blame finals burn-out :lol:.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:52 pm

I had the friendly person from the Dean's office email a copy of the good standing letter to me, and then emailed it to Penn. It posted the same day on the status checker.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:58 pm

Wholigan wrote:

I had the friendly person from the Dean's office email a copy of the good standing letter to me, and then emailed it to Penn. It posted the same day on the status checker.

I know who you're talking about (she's awesome). I'll shoot her an e-mail.

lawschool8611

Postby lawschool8611 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:08 pm

University of Chicago updated from App under review 6/28 to App under review 7/6

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:28 pm

My Chicago status: (ugh)

Application on Hold: Notified by Email

Current Status Date: 5/11/2011

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:58 pm

missinglink wrote:My Chicago status: (ugh)

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:00 pm

DeSimone wrote:

Chiglaw

Postby Chiglaw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:06 pm

traehekat wrote:
DeSimone wrote:

CCN-S Transfer

Postby CCN-S Transfer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:43 pm

myq wrote:
mscarn23 wrote:I was browsing last year's threads a few weeks back and jotted down the following dates for acceptances...

Penn: July 9- July 27
Nyu: July 5- august 8
Columbia: July 8- July 29
Harvard: July 12- august 3
Yale: July 18- July 22

Any idea about Stanford and Chicago?

According to TLS posts of the past two years, Stanford has accepted people on July 14-16 (both years it was over only two days that people were accepted). Rejections came later. Given the extremely small number of transfers Stanford accepts, I'd have to guess that these few data points are unreliable (and SLS probably loses a couple transfers admits each year to Yale and Harvard, which may cause them to do a second round of acceptances).

tww909

Postby tww909 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:10 am

lawschool8611 wrote:University of Chicago updated from App under review 6/28 to App under review 7/6

+1

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:34 am

In at Michigan via phone call.

Return to “Transfers”