T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TransferRisk

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Postby TransferRisk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:58 pm

kaiser wrote:With NYU, housing doesn't have to be more expensive. You have the easy option of living in Brooklyn or Jersey City, and taking a quick 15-20 min ride right to campus. Best part is, it costs less than half of what NYU charges for housing (could be a third depending on what options you choose). Plus food and everything else is cheaper once you leave Manhattan.

I know that NYU gives you 50 bids, though 10 must be for non-NY offices. All transfers will have a full chance to participate in EIW. I don't have any hard stats, but I spoke to a transfer from last year who told me all but a few transfers had great biglaw or PI jobs lined up, and said that their success rate and interview rate was likely even higher than that of the continuing NYU students.

That's helpful. Thank you.

Do you know when the NYU bids are due?

Are you living in Brooklyn or Jersey City? What about Hoboken?

Additional Q: How do the grading curves compare? I know that the curve is, percentages wise, officially the same at NYU for first year and upper division courses. However, it goes from "mandatory" to "advisory."
. . . What about at Columbia?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 am

TransferRisk wrote:
kaiser wrote:With NYU, housing doesn't have to be more expensive. You have the easy option of living in Brooklyn or Jersey City, and taking a quick 15-20 min ride right to campus. Best part is, it costs less than half of what NYU charges for housing (could be a third depending on what options you choose). Plus food and everything else is cheaper once you leave Manhattan.

I know that NYU gives you 50 bids, though 10 must be for non-NY offices. All transfers will have a full chance to participate in EIW. I don't have any hard stats, but I spoke to a transfer from last year who told me all but a few transfers had great biglaw or PI jobs lined up, and said that their success rate and interview rate was likely even higher than that of the continuing NYU students.

That's helpful. Thank you.

Do you know when the NYU bids are due?

Are you living in Brooklyn or Jersey City? What about Hoboken?

Additional Q: How do the grading curves compare? I know that the curve is, percentages wise, officially the same at NYU for first year and upper division courses. However, it goes from "mandatory" to "advisory."
. . . What about at Columbia?

My place is in Jersey City. I live a few minutes from a PATH station that goes directly to a stop just a few blocks from NYU. It runs 24 hours (every 5 minutes during rush hour, and every 10 minutes at all other times), costs less than the subway to ride, and takes all of 12-13 minutes to get there. NYU of course would never tell you about options like that because they want to push their insanely overpriced housing on people unfamiliar with the area.

Hoboken is pretty similar to Jersey City, and has a PATH station as well, but I found it to be a bit more pricey, and it was harder to find a place close to the station. Jersey City has a really nice downtown area that is really up and coming due to all the yuppies that live there but work in NYC.

NYU is having a webinar on Monday to tell us all about the bidding process and when we have to do everything. I believe the email mentioned bidding will be between August 8-10 but I could be wrong. They mentioned that transfers average between 20-25 interviews, and that spots are saved so that transfers are at no disadvantage in the lottery.

I know nothing about grading curves at this point

SLShopeful

Postby SLShopeful » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:22 am

Also still UR at SLS.

xyz789

Postby xyz789 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:58 am

What's the policy on doing OCI if you are still waiting on a decision from another school? got into GULC and am wondering how long I can hold out to wait on NYU/CLS.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 am

xyz789 wrote:What's the policy on doing OCI if you are still waiting on a decision from another school? got into GULC and am wondering how long I can hold out to wait on NYU/CLS.

When would your GULC bids be due? I can't imagine there being any harm in just bidding, and then informing them that you are withdrawing afterward.

asdfffff

Postby asdfffff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:02 am

Last edited by asdfffff on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:05 am

asdfffff wrote:So I just checked my CLS status checker and realized there are now check boxes for "transcripts" and "law school dean's appraisal" and these boxes aren't checked and weren't on the status checker the other day. It still says my application is complete though. Can my application be complete without these things or is the status checker just wrong?

Well, did you send them the Dean's appraisal form and your transcripts? Because your application certainly isn't complete without those things (though I believe Columbia was willing to just pull your LSDAS stuff for undergrad in lieu of hard copy undergrad transcripts)

Edit: My status checker has the same thing. Probably just a computer glitch. They have had these documents for 2 months now, and they confirmed to me that everything was complete a long time ago.

asdfffff

Postby asdfffff » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am

Last edited by asdfffff on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 am

And I also have to put me my daily prayer for a CLS decision (though I've conceded that the decision won't arrive until sometime in November)

xyz789

Postby xyz789 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:13 am

already submitted bids. if nyu/cls can make final decisions up until mid aug, then that runs into gulc oci.

kaiser wrote:
xyz789 wrote:What's the policy on doing OCI if you are still waiting on a decision from another school? got into GULC and am wondering how long I can hold out to wait on NYU/CLS.

When would your GULC bids be due? I can't imagine there being any harm in just bidding, and then informing them that you are withdrawing afterward.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:14 am

SLS called me. Started playing Orleans' "Still the One" for me and told me to inform those of you still waiting to go ahead and withdraw.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:44 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:SLS called me. Started playing Orleans' "Still the One" for me and told me to inform those of you still waiting to go ahead and withdraw.

Huh? I don't know what this means.

No joking allowed on this thread!

sdedalus

Postby sdedalus » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:53 am

Anyone hear more from CLS? I called Admissions today because of a deposit deadline, and they told me I would have a decision, "Very, very soon."

Wondering if this is a stock answer, or they actually are releasing a bunch of decisions this week? I'm in NY, and nothing in the mail today. Went complete 7/22.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:54 am

sdedalus wrote:Anyone hear more from CLS? I called Admissions today because of a deposit deadline, and they told me I would have a decision, "Very, very soon."

Wondering if this is a stock answer, or they actually are releasing a bunch of decisions this week? I'm in NY, and nothing in the mail today. Went complete 7/22.

Good to hear. Maybe that means they will be releasing new decisions by the end of this week (or the end of the day perhaps). Complete 7/20 here.

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

wow, officially sh*ting my pants...

xyz789

Postby xyz789 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 am

Called CLS this morning as well because I am still incomplete. Was told that the status checker may not be updated (IT's department) to reflect what they actualyl have. Admissions also said decisions woud be sent out shortly.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Wow, then maybe it will be in the next few hours. Super excited to get this over with.

chanel1285

Postby chanel1285 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:04 pm

I called CLS yesterday morning and got something similar. I think they said decisions will be coming "very shortly."

xyz789

Postby xyz789 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 pm

If both CLS and NYU say yes (unlikely), then here is the question: CLS with no LR, or NYU with a chance to compete for LR?

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 pm

xyz789 wrote:If both CLS and NYU say yes (unlikely), then here is the question: CLS with no LR, or NYU with a chance to compete for LR?

+1

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 pm

xyz789 wrote:If both CLS and NYU say yes (unlikely), then here is the question: CLS with no LR, or NYU with a chance to compete for LR?

The chances of making LR at NYU are incredibly low (someone told me perhaps 2 out of the 40-50 transfers get it), so its really not a true difference. I know that at NYU, many transfer students write onto secondary journals. Does CLS at least give you that opportunity? Because I would be more than happy to write for a secondary journal, just to get some journal experience on the resume

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:15 pm

But kaiser, while I agree the chances are low to make LR at NYU are low - do not forget - it was also very unlikely one would be a competitive applicant for transfer to the T6...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:17 pm

kaiser wrote:
sdedalus wrote:Anyone hear more from CLS? I called Admissions today because of a deposit deadline, and they told me I would have a decision, "Very, very soon."

Good to hear. Maybe that means they will be releasing new decisions by the end of this week (or the end of the day perhaps). Complete 7/20 here.

Considering snail mail dings have started going out, we're probably all getting rejected (wish they would do it by e-mail instead; it's instant and painless).

But at least it's an answer.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:18 pm

engineered madness wrote:But kaiser, while I agree the chances are low to make LR at NYU are low - do not forget - it was also very unlikely one would be a competitive applicant for transfer to the T6...

I understand, but I guess I just wouldn't pick between the 2 based on that point. If both give me a solid chance to get onto a secondary journal, then it would be essentially equal to me. But hey, it can never hurt to shoot high

odiero

Postby odiero » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Complete July 13 at CLS. Anyone else been complete so long?
Under review at Chi since July 11.

Hoping to hear from either/both before tomorrow, when my NYU intent to enroll form is due.

Return to “Transfers”