T14 Transfer Status Change Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AugustaMasters

New

Re: T14 Transfer Status Change Thread

Post by AugustaMasters » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Congrats to everyone who got Penn (and Mich) today! Hope to hear something positive soon.

lawstudent1986

New

Post by lawstudent1986 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Finally got the email from Columbia saying my application is complete. That took a while.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm

acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer! I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....
Huh? You're still in the application process, but you already know which firms will or won't interview you at OCI? I'm calling shenanigans.

arthurhk

New

Post by arthurhk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:52 pm

lawstudent1986 wrote:Finally got the email from Columbia saying my application is complete. That took a while.
How long did it take?

lawstudent1986

New

Post by lawstudent1986 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 pm

arthurhk wrote:
lawstudent1986 wrote:Finally got the email from Columbia saying my application is complete. That took a while.
How long did it take?
I submitted my application on June 19, but the one thing that was holding it up was the letter of good standing--annoying because that actually went in BEFORE the rest of my application, probably around June 8.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:19 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer! I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....
Huh? You're still in the application process, but you already know which firms will or won't interview you at OCI? I'm calling shenanigans.
I put my deposit down on one school while I wait to see what others get back to me. That's how I know what's on their OCI and this is a top 10 school.

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:27 pm

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 pm

acore8604 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
I put my deposit down on one school while I wait to see what others get back to me. That's how I know what's on their OCI and this is a top 10 school.
I'm confused... how do you know they won't interview you if they do OCI both at your home school and your new school?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:40 pm

acore8604 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:
So just stay at your old school if your dream firm recruits there. This doesn't make any sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:08 am

Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:01 am

acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer!
1. This is untrue save for a handful of uber selective firms (WLRK)
acore8604 wrote:I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....
2. How can you possibly know this if you have not gone through OCI yet? Did the firm call you and instruct you not to bid on them?

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:44 am

kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.
Movement at NYU is a good sign. Still UR 7/1 (retroactively adjusted earlier this week) here.

Anyone else with "decision letter sent" or any luck with the admitted students site?

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

kaiser wrote:Just checked my NYU status and it says "decision letter sent". Didn't even realized it had changed. Hopefully I will get that letter tomorrow, or perhaps Saturday. Penn today, and fingers crossed for NYU tomorrow. Surprised since it said under review only as of last Friday. They have an admitted students site. I can't get into it. Guess thats a no from NYU, but I'll know for sure when I get that letter.
stats?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:45 am

I'm still UR 6/30

jstn1104

Bronze

Post by jstn1104 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:47 am

tfer2222 wrote:
I'm still UR 6/30
Same.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:53 am

concurrent fork wrote:
acore8604 wrote:Just an important note that everyone thinking of transferring must know. Several firms in the school you'll be transferring to will NOT even consider you for employment because you are a transfer!
1. This is untrue save for a handful of uber selective firms (WLRK)
acore8604 wrote:I left a school where my dream firm did oci at to go to a school where that firm also does oci at, and now that same firm won't interview me....
2. How can you possibly know this if you have not gone through OCI yet? Did the firm call you and instruct you not to bid on them?
maybe s/he bid them super low at whatever T14 and didn't get an interview in the lottery, whereas at the old school it was pre-select?

lawstudent1986

New

Post by lawstudent1986 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:24 am

jstn1104 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
I'm still UR 6/30
Same.
Still UR at NYU 6/27

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoolgrapedme

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgrapedme » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 am

lawstudent1986 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote:
I'm still UR 6/30
Same.
Still UR at NYU 6/27
Same, except 7/4 :(

tww909

Bronze

Post by tww909 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 am

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:
lawstudent1986 wrote:
jstn1104 wrote:
tfer2222 wrote: I'm still UR 6/30
Same.
Still UR at NYU 6/27
Same, except 7/4 :(
if it makes all of you feel better i've been stuck at "application processing" since 6/20 despite them having everything they need and not replying to my emails asking what is going on.

at least columbia pulled themselves together. i got the complete email last night.

sawyerkid

New

Post by sawyerkid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 am

does Columbia need a letter of good standing from undergraduate and graduate schools (if you did grad work)? this seems ridiculous considering they get a letter of good standing from the law school as well.

johndoe90239

New

Post by johndoe90239 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:17 am

sawyerkid wrote:does Columbia need a letter of good standing from undergraduate and graduate schools (if you did grad work)? this seems ridiculous considering they get a letter of good standing from the law school as well.
YES, and they're not the only ones, most schools seems to require an undergraduate dean cert in addition to one from your current law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ms2010

Bronze

Post by ms2010 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:20 am

if it makes all of you feel better i've been stuck at "application processing" since 6/20 despite them having everything they need and not replying to my emails asking what is going on.

at least columbia pulled themselves together. i got the complete email last night.[/
Same here.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:23 am

Sort of odd that I"m the only one on here with "decision letter sent" from NYU. At least we rip the bandaid off quickly. Surprised they are gonna reject me this fast (since the admitted student login still doesn't work, so I'm not trying to kid myself)

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

kaiser wrote:Sort of odd that I"m the only one on here with "decision letter sent" from NYU. At least we rip the bandaid off quickly. Surprised they are gonna reject me this fast (since the admitted student login still doesn't work, so I'm not trying to kid myself)
There are so many assumptions in this. It's possible the could just email you if you are rejected, but might reserve actual snail mail for acceptances. No one else has a Decision Letter Sent status, so we have no clue what it means. Also, the pattern so far is that the initial wave of decisions are mostly acceptances, and thereafter a mix of acceptances/rejections/and waitlists.

Also, I'm still UR from 6/24!

C'mon people, today's the day!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:35 am

kaiser, I would bet that it's good news based on your numbers and the acceptances you've been getting.

BTW, I called a bunch of the schools I was worried about today, and it seems they're just being slow in completing the files and most them have received my information. I'm kind of sad that I missed out on the first wave of acceptances at everywhere but NU and Cornell (and the latter takes a miniscule transfer class anyway), but I do feel a little better in general.

I also finally sent my undergrad transcript to NYU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”