UVA Transfer Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
denimchickn

New

Re: UVA Transfer

Post by denimchickn » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:10 am

denimchickn wrote:Got an e-mail yesterday evening from Dean Trujillo telling me that they hadn't received my dean's certification and ranking statement. Considering the fact that my school told me they were both sent on June 3rd and UVA confirmed they had received all my materials when I e-mailed them before, this comes as SOMEWHAT of a surprise to say the least.

Of course, this also happens to be the week that the person in charge of Law School Records is on vacation and can't be reached. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.
Scratch that, kinda! Admitted by phone call (pending these documents being received)!!!!

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:12 am

denimchickn wrote:
denimchickn wrote:Got an e-mail yesterday evening from Dean Trujillo telling me that they hadn't received my dean's certification and ranking statement. Considering the fact that my school told me they were both sent on June 3rd and UVA confirmed they had received all my materials when I e-mailed them before, this comes as SOMEWHAT of a surprise to say the least.

Of course, this also happens to be the week that the person in charge of Law School Records is on vacation and can't be reached. I'm pretty sure I'm screwed and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.
Scratch that, kinda! Admitted by phone call (pending these documents being received)!!!!
awesome, congrats!! are you going to attend?

denimchickn

New

Post by denimchickn » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:36 am

mighttransfer wrote:
denimchickn wrote:

I definitely am. UVA was the only place I applied to transfer and I want to stay in VA after I graduate. Pretty much a dream come true.

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am

denimchickn wrote:
mighttransfer wrote:
denimchickn wrote:

I definitely am. UVA was the only place I applied to transfer and I want to stay in VA after I graduate. Pretty much a dream come true.
Good stuff. We are in a similar boat, except I also applied to GULC EA (but will be withdrawing). See you in C'Ville in the fall!

blbtr

New

Post by blbtr » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 am

In at UVA via phone call. Definitely attending.

Will be blacking out this evening.

Good luck everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blbtr

New

Post by blbtr » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Also, to everyone saying that residency does not give a boost, you are just wrong.

1. It clearly indicates a boost for residents on the UVA website.

2. In talking to two friends who transferred into UVA in recent, different years, both said about 95% of their transfer class was comprised of VA residents.

Not trying to be a dick, but lets clear up that misinformation.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:19 pm

blbtr wrote:Also, to everyone saying that residency does not give a boost, you are just wrong.

1. It clearly indicates a boost for residents on the UVA website.

2. In talking to two friends who transferred into UVA in recent, different years, both said about 95% of their transfer class was comprised of VA residents.

Not trying to be a dick, but lets clear up that misinformation.
UVA uses in-state transfers to help it meet its in-state residency obligations. Being out-of-state is practically an automatic deal breaker as a transfer.

psamp1024

New

Post by psamp1024 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:28 pm

I wish you would not post that kind of misinformation. A friend of mine was just accepted (Via phone call) today at UVA as a transfer. He has lived on the West Coast his whole life.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Congrats everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:57 pm

psamp1024 wrote:I wish you would not post that kind of misinformation. A friend of mine was just accepted (Via phone call) today at UVA as a transfer. He has lived on the West Coast his whole life.
This does not make what I posted misinformation; it just makes your friend an exception. What I said is still generally true.

Congrats to your friend on getting accepted as a non-resident. That's a feat.

SPE

New

Post by SPE » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Just accepted yesterday as a transfer from Northwestern! Does anyone know anything about the transition process (i.e. class registration, interviews, meeting other 2Ls, etc)? Congratulations to the others that got in!

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:47 pm

SPE wrote:Just accepted yesterday as a transfer from Northwestern! Does anyone know anything about the transition process (i.e. class registration, interviews, meeting other 2Ls, etc)? Congratulations to the others that got in!
Why are you wanting to transfer out of NU?

SPE

New

Post by SPE » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:37 am

To be honest, I entered law school straight from college (Duke). NU is just not a great fit for me. It has a very corporate-like, unfriendly atmosphere and my section was pretty cut-throat. I'm looking for a more collegial law school experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gary Sanchez

New

Post by Gary Sanchez » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Also got the good phone call on friday, super pumped. I'm also from the West Coast.

transferquest

New

Post by transferquest » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 am

Also got the call Friday. From Penn State Law. Still waiting for HY and Penn, but definitely thinking i'm headed to Cville.

psamp1024

New

Post by psamp1024 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:29 am

vanwinkle wrote:
psamp1024 wrote:I wish you would not post that kind of misinformation. A friend of mine was just accepted (Via phone call) today at UVA as a transfer. He has lived on the West Coast his whole life.
This does not make what I posted misinformation; it just makes your friend an exception. What I said is still generally true.

Congrats to your friend on getting accepted as a non-resident. That's a feat.
On what basis did you make the statement that being out of state as a transfer is "practically an automatic deal-breaker" at UVA?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Dinged via email
T2, top 7%, out of state

This is me watching my transfer cycle crumble before my eyes. :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 pm

The email for those interested:

Dear Mr. xxxx,

We have carefully reviewed your application for transfer admission to the University of Virginia School of Law. I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you a place in the transfer class. With 200 applications and only 10 seats in the transfer class, we were faced with many difficult choices and ultimately were unable to offer admission to a number of superbly qualified applicants.

I wish you the very best of success with the remainder of your legal education and in your professional career, and I thank you for your interest in the University of Virginia School of Law.

Sincerely,

Jason Wu Trujillo
Senior Assistant Dean for Admissions

swinger

Bronze

Post by swinger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Congrats all around, I look forward to meeting yall. I'm one of the ambassadors and one of the PAs (not for the transfer section) so I might be able to (should be able to) answer some general questions if you have any. Feel free to PM me.

slt

New

Post by slt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Congrats to your friend.

Do you know if your friend will be attending UVA?

psamp1024

New

Post by psamp1024 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Yep, I believe so. The deposit is in, anyway. Are you also transferring in to UVA?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acore8604

New

Post by acore8604 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 am

I wouldn't say being a VA resident is a necessary feature for transfer. I got in within 24hrs of applying and I have 0 ties to virginia or even the south.

pja123

New

Post by pja123 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Anyone else receive acceptances/rejections?

My status still says "Complete, Pending Review/Decision". Not sure if the delayed response is good or bad. Obviously, not receiving a rejection yet is good, but it could just mean the rejection is in the mail. Thoughts?

Does UVA subject transfer applicants to a waitlist if they fill up all of their transfer spots?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”