Am I targeting the correct schools? Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ka393110

New

Am I targeting the correct schools?

Post by ka393110 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 pm

I posted this in the what are my chances but as that thread is more just where people give % answers I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread. Basically... I ended up with a cum. gpa of 3.52 that places me between 8-13% percentile... in a week I will get my exact rank. School is lower 80s

Georgetown
Fordam
GW
UCLA
Emory

I would like to be in a major city, and am trying to move up the ladder as far as possible. Essentially I was wondering/asking for all opinions on if I am targeting the right schools and any suggestions to add (or replace from this list) --

Thank you all!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Am I targeting the correct schools?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:16 pm

Sorry, I didn't realize that this was a law school transfer question.

Targeting law schools in transfer situations often involves more than current law school & class rank. Reasons for wanting to transfer are also important, therefore, it is difficult to assess whether or not you are targeting the right schools.

P.S. A class rank within the top 10% should be competitive for all of your listed schools.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hawks2010

New

Post by hawks2010 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:19 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends upon your LSAT score.
transfer question, no?

ka393110

New

Post by ka393110 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Sorry this is a law school transfer question (I am going into my 2L year) ---

With the exception of UCLA, I am targeting schools on the East Coast because that is where I am from, went to UG, want to end up, etc. Also my mother is in and out of health issues, so it would be ideal to be closer to home.

My UG GPA was a 3.72 and my LSAT score was a 156, although I do not believe these will be that important in my admissions decision. I am also a resident of Virginia, but I figured UVA was out of the question.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Transfer admissions can be tricky. Some law schools have published requirements such as "must rank in the top xx% at an ABA law school" and/or "must have been competitive for admission to the target law school as an OneL" which brings the LSAT & GPA into play as well as the requirement of a college degreee (which is not required, for example, at several Canadian law schools).

Try to get a copy of Barron's Guide To Law Schools as it usually includes specific requirements for transfer applicants under "Admissions-Special". Always call each law school for updated info. as publishing times often lag over one year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ka393110

New

Post by ka393110 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Any thoughts on my list of schools, or opinions of schools to add? I know the transfer process is unpredictable at times, so really any reaction/opinion would be great!

mighttransfer

Bronze

Post by mighttransfer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm

I wouldn't rule out UVA . . . they love VA residents. If you're in the top 10%, then I would throw out an app.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Unless changed recently, Virginia requires a top 5% standing in order to be considered as a transfer applicant. But better to call UVa & check to learn whether or not this is still their rule.

P.S. Based on my experience, it is surprising how strict some law schools are regarding transfer applicant eligibility.

Cornell, for example, requires (unless recently changed) top 10% standing. UNC requires "...superior academic performance, and have been originally admissible to UNC School of Law". Colorado "recommends" students be in the top 10 to 20% of their class.

As another example: Texas requires "...and demonstrate good cause for the transfer, and have a strong academic record prior to & during law school."

Emory only requires "...a ranking of at least the top 50% of the class, although the top 20% to 25% is preferred."

Baylor's requirements are a bit wordy: Transfer students...and to be competitive with the applicant pool, the applicants should be in the top 5% to 10% of their class at a comparable law school." (Then why transfer unless for family reasons ?)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:12 pm

Thomas M. Cooley Law School offers a "qualifying school" to transfer applicants who are "...promising candidates who do not meet standard admissions criteria."

Vanderbilt: "Applicant's reasons for relocating to Nashville and for studying at Vanderbilt are considered."

Utah requires top 30%.

USC requires top 20% as does the University of San Diego.

Pittsburgh: "B" average or top 25%.

Mississippi requires that "...the law school from which the transfer is made must be both ABA and AALS accredited." (Used to be a significant hurdle decades ago.)

Minnesota: Must have been eligible as a first year student--thus bringing into play LSAT score, GPA & college degree requirement.

Michigan: Transfers must typically be in the top 5% to 10% of their first-year class. ("typically" & "must" seem contradictory--but it's their rule.)

Miami reviews LSAT score & undergraduate performance.

Memphis evaluates pre-law school variables.

Louisville: Top 25%.

Kentucky: "As transfers are not encouraged, apps are reviewed on a case-by-case basis."

Iowa: ABA & AALS plus top 10% to 15%.

Houston: "...rank typically in the top of the first year class" (what % is missing).

Florida: Top third.

UConn: Top 10% & compelling reasons.

UC-Davis: Top 5%-10%.

UCal-Berkeley: Top 5%.

Texas Tech: Top 25%.

Temple: Top 20%.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:49 pm

South Texas College of Law requires "...and be ranked in the upper 10% of the current law school class...".

Seton Hall: Top 20%.

Seattle Univ.: Top third.

St. Louis University: Top third.

Pepperdine: Top 30%.

New York Law School: "...and have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university."

Mercer: Top 50%.

LSU: Reasons for seeking a transfer. (Also notes a 10% limit on out-of-state students.)

Lewis & Clark: Compelling reason for wishing to transfer to Lewis & Clark.

IUB: Comparable LSAT & GPA to class & reasons.

Howard: Top 25% to top third.

Harvard: Outstanding records in college & in law school.

FSU: Top third.

Drake: Top 50%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”