Haaaahvard Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
panascooter

New

Haaaahvard

Post by panascooter » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:29 pm

Chances at HYS, top 5% @ T25?

Assuming full ride at current school, convince me to transfer. I don't want Wachtell.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: Haaaahvard

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 pm

What are your goals? Also, how well within the top 5% are you? Even at a T25 I think you may need to be more like 1-3% to have a really good shot. Did you apply there as a 0L? I've heard that unless your numbers were somewhat within reach the first time around that can also make it more difficult to get Harvard. One last factor I've seen mentioned recently is that they really like transfers with strong work experience. Do any of these apply?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:43 pm

To some extent the point of my questions above is that it really doesn't make sense to speculate too much until and unless you actually get the acceptance (though I would probably be doing the same thing, and I do in fact speculate similarly about various transfer options, even though in my case it seems like even the lesser of these options are looking fairly unlikely).

But if you do get in, I personally would want to go for it without a doubt. Regardless of what your interests are, it is an awesome opportunity and commendation to be admitted to Harvard Law. I would also consider a T6 move. Obviously you will have options where you are, but T25 doesn't have the brand recognition or reach that the best of the best have, and I think that could make a difference down the road. If you were at a T18 or so then I would prob feel more hesitant.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:04 pm

You'd probably need like top 1-3%, and even then, it's a total crapshoot from the T25. it's certainly worth the application, however. And yeah, I'd go. Think of it this way: Would you have chosen Harvard with a 1/3 scholarship when you originally applied? Of course you would have.

stylishlaw

Bronze

Post by stylishlaw » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:42 am

Top 5% is good chance and worth the app.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Lawquacious wrote:I've heard that unless your numbers were somewhat within reach the first time around that can also make it more difficult to get Harvard.
This is a myth or at least a total misunderstanding. If people could get into Harvard the first time around, and they care enough about going to Harvard to try transferring, wouldn't they have just gone there in the first place? Most HLS transfers are folks who would've loved to just go there in the first place and had absolutely no chance of doing so. Many of them transferred from lower T1s, and I know a couple folks who transferred to HLS from T2s.

There's no way you have numbers good enough to get into Harvard, voluntarily choose to attend a T2 instead, get good enough 1L grades to even have a shot at transferring, and then change your mind after a year and decide you really want to go to Harvard. The reality is that those are people who would've gone to better schools if they could, and after a stellar 1L they finally could--by transferring.

I would've gone to Harvard if they accepted me the first time around. They outright rejected me, and since I was below both medians I wasn't surprised. That didn't keep me from getting in as a transfer.

D.Wilde

Bronze

Post by D.Wilde » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:18 am

I second Mr. Winkle.

Regarding the percentage thing: Believe it or not, they in some ways seemed to display a bit of holistic admissions last year. A close friend and fellow HLS transfer told me that he was not within the top 5% or possibly even the top 10% at his T30, but he had an interesting life story and compelling reasons for staying in the Boston area.

That being said, 3 transfers were admitted from my T25, and they had the top 3 GPAs out of a class of between 250-300 students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”