Mizzou Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chunnel

New

Mizzou

Post by Chunnel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I just finished 1L at Loyola/DePaul/Kent, and I'm thinking about sending an app to Mizzou, my state flagship. I'd get in-state tuition, and my plan has always been to someday move back home to work. I absolutely love Chi, and I've got great friends here, and I'd love to work here for a while. But if I'm honest, I don't see myself here for too terribly long (provided I would have such flexibility), and even though I can't stand Mizzou's bandwagon fans and am strongly against affiliating myself with this institution, I think it's something I need to consider at this point.

Though class ranks haven't been released, I should end up in the top 25% (based on first semester ranks and historical ranks), and I do have a scholarship moving forward. Even still, I would save about 20K in tuition over the next couple of years, plus COL.

I guess I'd just like some opinions on whether or not this move would make sense. I'm just trying to think out loud here, and thought this would be a good place to gather some input.

And if there are any Mizzou folks around these parts, I'd be interested in hearing what y'all have to say about the school, job prospects, etc.

kdw94780

Bronze

Re: Mizzou

Post by kdw94780 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:51 pm

I don't go to Mizzou. But, I do go to Wash U and am also interested in Missouri. I can't give you an exact answer, but I can tell you what I've noticed as far as which schools the recruiters focus on in St. Louis and KC.

St. Louis

Mizzou practically does not exist. The recruiters here almost exclusively focus recruiting efforts on Wash U and SLU. The recruiters try to put on the facade that they don't favor a particular school BUT it's clear that Wash U students are definitely favored. The ONLY SLU students that can compete with Wash U students are those that are at least top 15%. Even recruiters who are SLU alumni often favor Wash U students over SLU students because Wash U students are "simply better." Basically, Mizzou students are disadvantaged here because they are too far away. Recruiters don't see the need to seek out Mizzou students when they have generally superior Wash U students here and generally equal SLU students here as well.

Kansas City

Wash U students or other students from top 30 law schools (like Iowa, ND, etc) are favored here.
Mizzou is basically equal with UMKC and KU now. The rankings suggest that KU Law is improving while Mizzou Law is going down hill. Like in St. Louis, Mizzou is also disadvantaged here because UMKC is in the city, and KU is within an hour's drive.

As far as Springfield, Jeff City, St. Joe goes... I suspect Mizzou kids fair better purely because of less competition from Wash U and KU as students from these schools are generally not interested in the areas. Wash U kids want big markets. KU kids...well have KS.

Those are my observations. I don't know what i'd do if I were you. It all depends on how much you want to be in Missouri and how much you really want job security. Staying where you are seems like more job security as then you can also play in the Illinois market. Staying in Missouri might get you an edge especially if you're looking at KC or smaller markets. I don't think a Mizzou degree would give you an edge at all in St. Louis though; in fact, it might be the opposite.

Good Luck! and Congrats on the good grades. I think the grades will probably make more of a difference than whether you go to Mizzou or Loyola/Depaul/Kent.

Chunnel

New

Re: Mizzou

Post by Chunnel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks.

One of the things that bugs me so much about Mizzou is that it doesn't seem to have as big of a presence as it should have for being the state school - especially in STL. I figured it would do better in KC, but if it's just on par with KU and UMKC in the eyes of employers, that doesn't help me out much I don't think.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”