Crushed... need legit advice

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tamlyric

Re: Crushed... need legit advice

Postby tamlyric » Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Definitely email the prof. Happened to me in undergrad: the grade entered was a C; true grade was an A.

saladfiend

Postby saladfiend » Fri May 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Mistakes do happen.

stuckinparadise

Postby stuckinparadise » Fri May 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Well, folks... the verdict is in. No mistake. I made a C. Somehow this semester I make an A in ConLaw and Property but totally blow it for crim. He said my exam was ranked 47/55. WTf? Whatever. I don't know what happened, but I am moving on... nothing I can do.

Anyway, I now plan on a lateral transfer to Stetson University (another tier 3) but in an area which I would more than love to practice law. Plus, I have a lot of family that lives in the Tampa area so maybe it's for the best. If I can at least manage to make a lateral transfer I will not have to killself, yay :lol:

In sum, thank you to those with the kind words. It's been a rough couple of days... I'm gonna self medicate now.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Sat May 28, 2011 11:22 am

Keep your hopes up!!!! You have a fairly strong body of work with one outlier. This is not the end of your legal career. Chill out, send out a good amount of apps, and you'll get some bites.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Sat May 28, 2011 11:35 am

i would send some florida t1/t2 some apps, you have a chance

Postby 23402385985 » Sun May 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah, I would definitely apply elsewhere if you can afford some money for transfers. That GPA at a Tier III isn't terrible and should land you somewhere. At least give it a try.

boilerplated

Postby boilerplated » Mon May 30, 2011 12:55 am

This is going to sound crazy, and it's highly dependent on what kind of dynamic you have with this professor, but I'll throw it out there anyway: ask him for a letter of recommendation.

I suggest this only because I knew someone who pulled it off, albeit not in the context of a transfer. He's a very good student who is active in class and plays well with professors, but on a mostly multiple choice contracts exam, he blew several close ones and got a C+. He arranged to go over the test question by question with the prof, and it was obvious that his performance on that one exam didn't reflect his actual intelligence/abilities. A few weeks later he asked for an LOR for a job he was applying for, and the prof was happy to write it. It's not going to erase the mark, but it certainly looks good when the guy who gave you a C is willing to vouch for you anyway.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 am

i think you should apply higher. That C prob took a t14 or ucla/vandy out of the picture. However you still have a great shot for schools like wustl, emory, bc,bu,gw

stuckinparadise

Postby stuckinparadise » Mon May 30, 2011 12:01 pm

So... I think all is not lost. I may still have a chance at a successful transfer.

My remaining two grades came in and both of them are A- (K's and lawyering) which only raised my cum GPA by .02 %. I just checked the grades this morning and I'll admit it... I dropped to me knees and shed a few tears. I was paralyzed in fear this whole weekend thinking I would see a B which would lower my GPA.

Anyway,
Here is my total body of work:
1st Semester GPA: 3.42
2nd Semester GPA 3.53
CUM GPA: 3.48
Out of 222 students I am #45 which = 20%.
My Grades for the year are: A+ A A A- A- B+ B+ B- C (the C was in Crim as you all know). The 3 B's were in my 1st semester. 2nd Semester I received 2 A's, 2 A-, and 1 C.

My Current School
Tier III. Median LSAT 154. 75th% LSAT is 157. School's overall rank #113.

My Target Schools
1). FSU
2). UF
3). UM
4). Stetson
For consideration to transfer these schools require that you are in the top 30%, fwiw.

Reason for Transferring
1). Lived in Florida for over 6 years (2004-2010)
2). I want to practice in Florida
3). Most of my family lives in Florida
4). I have numerous contacts in Fl, including contacts in the legal field.
5). I am familiar with all of my target schools and have friends attending each one (except UF... no friends attending UF) but I would easily acclimate to the environment.
6). Also, I am an alumnus of one of the schools mentioned in my target schools and made lifelong friends in said school that I miss dearly.
7). I love the school I currently attend, but I hate where I live. I want out of this town.
8 Finally, all of my target schools will put me in a better position to succeed/find legal employment --maybe not Stetson, but I rather be jobless in paradise than jobless in this town.

So yea... that's it. I may have a chance. Here's to hoping. And if anyone cares, when I find out the outcome I'll post it... till then I'm going to be MIA. Thank you for lending a sympathetic ear. I know that is kind of lame, but encouraging words, even from complete anonymous strangers can be therapeutic.

Cheers.
Last edited by stuckinparadise on Mon May 30, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon May 30, 2011 12:04 pm

stuckinparadise wrote:So... I think all is not lost. I may still have a chance at a successful transfer.

My remaining two grades came in and both of them are A- (K's and lawyering) which only raised my cum GPA by .02 %. I just checked the grades this morning and I'll admit it... I dropped to me knees and shed a few tears. I was paralyzed in fear this whole weekend thinking I would see a B which would lower my GPA.

Anyway,
Here is my total body of work:
1st Semester GPA: 3.42
2nd Semester GPA 3.53
CUM GPA: 3.48
Out of 222 students I am #45 which = 20%.
My Grades for the year are: A+ A A A- A- B+ B+ B- C (the C was in Crim as you all know). The 3 B's were in my 1st semester. 2nd Semester I received 2 A's, 2 A-, and 1 C.

My Current School
Tier III. Median LSAT 154. 75th% LSAT is 157. School's overall rank #113.

My Target Schools
1). FSU
2). UF
3). UM
4). Stetson

Reason for Transferring
1). Lived in Florida for over 6 years (2004-2010)
2). I want to practice in Florida
3). Most of my family lives in Florida
4). I have numerous contacts in Fl, including contacts in the legal field.
5). I am familiar with all of my target schools and have friends attending each one (except UF... no friends attending UF) but I would easily acclimate to the environment.
6). Also, I am an alumnus of one of the schools mentioned in my target schools and made lifelong friends in said school that I miss dearly.
7). I love the school I currently attend, but I hate where I live. I want out of this town.
8 Finally, all of my target schools will put me in a better position to succeed/find legal employment --maybe not Stetson, but I rather be jobless in paradise than jobless in this town.

So yea... that's it. I may have a chance. Here's to hoping. And if anyone cares, when I find out the outcome I'll post it... till then I'm going to be MIA. Thank you for lending a sympathetic ear. I know that is kind of lame, but encouraging words, even from complete anonymous strangers can be therapeutic.

Cheers.

any interest in emory?

stuckinparadise

Postby stuckinparadise » Mon May 30, 2011 12:15 pm

X factor, I do not think I would be accepted at Emory. But, even if I was accepted... I know very little about Atlanta and even less about the school. I do know that the law school is excellent, however. So, yes I would deff go to Emory rather than attend my current school but since I think my chances are slim and none I might as well just save the application money.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:25 pm

I think there is a very good chance you get into UF/FSU. Considering it sounds like you want to work in Florida, those are both fine schools and I'm guessing you'll qualify for in-state tuition (which I bet will make them cheaper then your current school). Good luck!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon May 30, 2011 12:25 pm

stuckinparadise wrote:X factor, I do not think I would be accepted at Emory. But, even if I was accepted... I know very little about Atlanta and even less about the school. I do know that the law school is excellent, however. So, yes I would deff go to Emory rather than attend my current school but since I think my chances are slim and none I might as well just save the application money.

I have a friend who got into emory just outside the top 1/3 from a 50-60 ranked school. I think it is def worth an application.

Postby 23402385985 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:19 am

Don't short change yourself. Transferring is a very, very weird thing. Send out apps to places you don't think you can get in. It's worth it. You just might get in with a solid PS.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 pm

thexfactor wrote:
stuckinparadise wrote:X factor, I do not think I would be accepted at Emory. But, even if I was accepted... I know very little about Atlanta and even less about the school. I do know that the law school is excellent, however. So, yes I would deff go to Emory rather than attend my current school but since I think my chances are slim and none I might as well just save the application money.

I have a friend who got into emory just outside the top 1/3 from a 50-60 ranked school. I think it is def worth an application.

OP - spend the 80 bucks and apply to Emory. Apply liberally! This is the only time in your life that you will be able to transfer to another law school. Don't sell yourself short, spend the money, and blanket the T1.

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I also vote for an application to Emory, especially in light of all the "negative press" the school is currently enduring on ATL. Emory might accept you because:
(1) More of its current students may transfer out because they think the school is getting worse (not really true)
(2) Emory might not get as many transfer applicants as it did in the past
(3) Your family is from the South and you grew up there. If you are currently in a city outside of the South, you can spin the "I want to come back to a legal market with manners" or something to that effect ;)

Artemis

Postby Artemis » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:14 am

It's definitely worth a shot. Don't worry, just send out the apps. The app fees may seem like a lot, but in the long run they are just loose change. It does not hurt to apply. That C will likely be regarded as an outlier and not an indication of your true potential. You have a lot of excellent grades. Don't sell yourself short. Just apply anyway. Best of luck to you.

iheartlaw

Postby iheartlaw » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:00 am

I got a C+ in LRW and still transferred to GULC! But I was still top 5% of my class.

stuckinparadise

Postby stuckinparadise » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.

I am just grateful to have the opportunity to have a chance at a successful transfer, despite that "C."
That being said, would anyone be willing to shred my personal statement? I am on my 2nd draft. If so, please PM me.

Thanks!

Return to “Transfers”