Transferring within T-14 to HLS?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DAJ_Summer

Re: Transferring within T-14 to HLS?

Postby DAJ_Summer » Sun May 29, 2011 11:12 am

OldManHunger wrote:This doesn't mean there's absolutely no reason not to transfer in certain situations, like maybe location (Stanford vs. Duke for California?), but it's generally and generically a bad idea.

Agreed. I'd also like to add that people saying things like it might be better for SCOTUS are still missing the mark: just because school A sends more than school B doesn't mean any random transfer is going to ever get a seat at that table. The same largely holds for academia. The pipeline for these things begins with, and is heavily dependent on, what happens the first year in law school. They're not going to stamp "not-SCOTUS-certified" on you when you pack your bags and move to cambridge, but you're just not going to increase your odds, which are so heavily dependent on extraordinary personal characteristics and connections for things like professorships or high court clerkships.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 29, 2011 12:50 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:Sure, but again, I don't see any downside in applying. Therefore, if I were to get in, I can make an informed decision (at that point I'd like to think I'd know if I made LR at my current school). Also, all of those factors mentioned by Plum are ones that I will weigh. To be sure, the decision to transfer to H would be a lot more difficult to make than Y because of the inability to write-on to their LR.

Anyways, my main point is: why not apply in the first instance and decide later?

The people who you ask to write LORs for you (and they should be your two best recommenders from 1L) may not like not only going through the effort of helping you leave, but then learning that it was for nothing.

The only way transferring makes sense is if you made HLR and you didn't make LR at your current school. The odds of that are so low it's really not worth the time/effort, not only on your part but also for your recommenders.

Granted, trying for Yale alone might make a little bit of sense. You don't know if you'd make LR until after you're accepted, but the odds are better, and either way, it's Yale. You might burn up less goodwill by only focusing on one ultracompetitive school with an understanding it's not likely even for you.

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 am

Moxie wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Not saying I necessarily agree with this, but i'm shocked that no one has said 'If you're at GULC then most certainly transfer up'

Because top 5% at GULC is going to be competitive for almost every firm in the country. There is almost nothing that would be available from HYS that they wouldn't get with GULC (except maybe SC clerk, Wachtell, etc.)

Again, you may be right, but it just seems to go against what I see on TLS 95% of the time. If someone made a thread titled "I'm top 5% at GULC, am I competitive with HLS median/below median students?", everyone would say 'lol no'

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 am

sanetruth wrote:
Moxie wrote:
sanetruth wrote:Not saying I necessarily agree with this, but i'm shocked that no one has said 'If you're at GULC then most certainly transfer up'

Because top 5% at GULC is going to be competitive for almost every firm in the country. There is almost nothing that would be available from HYS that they wouldn't get with GULC (except maybe SC clerk, Wachtell, etc.)

Again, you may be right, but it just seems to go against what I see on TLS 95% of the time. If someone made a thread titled "I'm top 5% at GULC, am I competitive with HLS median/below median students?", everyone would say 'lol no'

I think GULC's bad rep is due to its extreme size. Top 5% has a good shot at LR, which I have been told by multiple attorneys is more important at a T14 than the rank of the school. One attorney I spoke to even suggested I consider how difficult making LR was in deciding which school I wanted to attend (within the T14). His opinion was T14+LR > Harvard without LR.

ETA: Top 5% at GULC still means that 30 people have the same or better grades than you do. Top 5% at Cornell means that you are among the top 10 students. Considering that only 50 or so people per class are on LR, perhaps top 5% at GULC is not as golden a ticket as it's made out to be ITT.

Return to “Transfers”