A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thepanda00

Postby thepanda00 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:12 pm

Last edited by thepanda00 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dr123

Re: T3 to UC Irvine--Thoughts?

Postby dr123 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:21 pm

dude, UCSD doesnt have a law school.

thepanda00

Postby thepanda00 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Last edited by thepanda00 on Sat May 28, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Mon May 23, 2011 2:19 pm

UCI has top 20 numbers with a top 10 faculty. Accreditation or not, you'll be way better of at UCI than a T3. UCI is almost universally expected to enter the rankings in the top 50.

thepanda00

Postby thepanda00 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Last edited by thepanda00 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emoticons777

Postby emoticons777 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:11 am

thepanda00 wrote:I was hoping to gather some opinions on transferring to UC Irvine. Particularly, how risky is it to go to the unaccredited school. Would you go to schools such as USCD, Pepperdine, ect over UC Irvine? And anything else you can tell me. My scholarship is about 18k at my T3. Goals: I hope to get a job in the civil sector 80+ and then several years out--transfer to a NLJ 250.

I am bordering top 10 at T3. Haven't gotten the finalized rank.

1. It is generally risky; however, if UCI doesn't get accredited I would be crazily shocked. UCI isn't actually that risky.
2. UCI is really gaining traction in Orange County. I don't think there are any T3s in OC (the other schools are all T2 [Chapman] or T4 [Whittier]) so getting into such an insular market could be a problem if you don't already have connections.
3. Getting an $80k job is something UCLA grads are trying to do right now. Good luck.
4. Transferring up in firms is difficult at best.
5. UCI is focusing largely on public interest work, NOT private practice. Just keep that in mind.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Tue May 24, 2011 6:08 pm

UCI doesn't have alumni, but they have "investors." For our intents and purposes, it is the same thing....if not better.

There are scores of OC firms and politicians who have invested time and money into creating UCI law.They have a direct stake in UCI students and grads getting jobs, since job numbers have a large impact on rankings, and rankings determine the school's "success" (for the most part).

I am a UCI 0L, so I'm obviously biased, but my fears of having no alumni base completely dissipated after talking with some of those politicians and attorneys who helped start UCI Law.

Oh, if I'm not mistaken, 100% of 1L and 2Ls have summer jobs.

thepanda00

Postby thepanda00 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:29 pm

I completely agree with you which is why I made this thread. I would imagine that they would try even harder to get their students placed in good jobs.

total_loss

Postby total_loss » Tue May 24, 2011 6:41 pm

thepanda00 wrote:Btw, are there any similar schools like UCI which came out recently and were immediately put in the top 20 schools? OR in the past 10 years?

As far as modern rankings go, no law school has ever opened its doors and cracked the top 20 immediately or after 10 years of operation. There's absolutely no reason to believe UCI will be the first.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 24, 2011 6:55 pm

thegreatk wrote:Oh, if I'm not mistaken, 100% of 1L and 2Ls have summer jobs.

Think about what you are saying. Getting a summer job is easy. Getting one 2L summer that pays actual money and may lead to a permanent offer is harder.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Tue May 24, 2011 6:56 pm

total_loss wrote:
thepanda00 wrote:Btw, are there any similar schools like UCI which came out recently and were immediately put in the top 20 schools? OR in the past 10 years?

As far as modern rankings go, no law school has ever opened its doors and cracked the top 20 immediately or after 10 years of operation. There's absolutely no reason to believe UCI will be the first.

True, except there is SOME reason to think UCI COULD be the first. Three reasons:

Admission #s are top 20 quality- 167/3.65.
Faculty is #9 in the country as of 2009, and will increase in rank as some highly cited professors who have decided to go to UCI are incorporated into the new rankings.
Job #s- We have an incredibly supportive "investor" network, and our current students ALL have summer positions.

I don't think its realistic, but it is certainly possible. My guess is that they enter somewhere in between Hastings and Davis (top 25-30).

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm

rad law wrote:

Think about what you are saying. Getting a summer job is easy. Getting one 2L summer that pays actual money and may lead to a permanent offer is harder.

I agree, however it's certainly a good sign that 100% of students have been placed in summer positions. I'd be curious to see the % of students who get summer jobs at the top schools.

Edit: Oh, and +1 for the avatar.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 24, 2011 7:00 pm

thegreatk wrote:
rad law wrote:

I agree, however it's certainly a good sign that 100% of students have been placed in summer positions. I'd be curious to see the % of students who get summer jobs at the top schools.

I wouldn't say it's a good sign, it's just the lack of a bad sign.

LawWeb

Postby LawWeb » Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Regarding UCI jobs - a bonus at UCI is that, for the early classes at least, everyone gets to do OCI (some schools I believe only let a percentage.) There is basically one firm at OC for every 2 students, so every student will get multiple interviews - how many students get jobs from that obviously I can't answer. Last year there was really good success, but I don't have numbers. I do know of firms that were saying they bid on multiple students but those students had other offers and they ended up without any UCI students (to their dismay). The legal community in OC is definitely excited to grab hold of the students here. And approx 100% of 1L's have summer gigs this summer, ranging from this to that, some in DC, a couple with firms, lots of judicial externships (a handful with Circuit courts), intenational trade court, Fed Pub Dfnd'r, the whole gamut, and a bit spread around the x-try, though most chose to just stay here - but people who wanted elsewhere seemed to get it.

I personally couldn't have had a better outcome no matter where I went. And as part of the early classes, ITE I feel more secure here than other schools just because of the small class size, great reputation, excited community, etc. I can tell you better after OCI obviously, but I'd rather be here than part of a 300 person class in a more established good school, or at least feel better about the odds of landing whatever type of gig I'd want (possibly excepting HYS, maybe a few other up that'a'ways.)

It depends on what T3 you're at, where (location-wise you want to get to), what type of school experience you want. I expect UCI will be accredited before next year begins, at worst shortly thereafter. There are lots of good things about UCI - small class sizes with top professors, the above things - but for law schools, other than the very top few, it is a really, to use a legal term, fact-intensive decision. It's subjective, not objective. Top 20 doesn't mean much - UCI v. Illinois v. GW - very different experiences, results, etc.

If you, say, want to be in LA, and you are top 10% at Southwestern, I don't know, maybe you are comfortable, so it's good to stay, etc. Or maybe transferring to Loyola if you can get some $$. UCI, I think it's more high-end than any of those, definitely more like attending a T20, quality-wise, opp-wise, etc. It's a different league (my opinion/feel) than Pepp. or USD (and UCI has a bunch of SD'ers and don't hear any problems getting back that way).

Hope some of that helps, feel free to PM if you want to know any more

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 25, 2011 12:17 am

LawWeb wrote:And approx 100% of 1L's have summer gigs this summer, ranging from this to that, some in DC, a couple with firms, lots of judicial externships (a handful with Circuit courts), intenational trade court, Fed Pub Dfnd'r, the whole gamut, and a bit spread around the x-try, though most chose to just stay here - but people who wanted elsewhere seemed to get it.

rad law wrote:Think about what you are saying. Getting a summer job is easy. Getting one 2L summer that pays actual money and may lead to a permanent offer is harder.

ipod

Postby ipod » Wed May 25, 2011 4:40 am

What's with all this UCI hype from 0Ls and 1Ls? The hard part starts 2L year, with a non-T14 caliber class... We can talk then.

OP, if you're set on SoCal and UCI is all you get into, it's a good bet. You'd probably get more attention than at L/P. Not so sure about lateral'ing into NJ250 after a couple of years. From what I hear, once that ship's sailed, it's gone so just do it right the first time and kick ass during OCI.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm

The
ipod wrote:What's with all this UCI hype from 0Ls and 1Ls? The hard part starts 2L year, with a non-T14 caliber class... We can talk then.

OP, if you're set on SoCal and UCI is all you get into, it's a good bet. You'd probably get more attention than at L/P. Not so sure about lateral'ing into NJ250 after a couple of years. From what I hear, once that ship's sailed, it's gone so just do it right the first time and kick ass during OCI.

The first and second class (with 100% and 50% scholarships, respectively) had nearly identical numbers. (167/3.65 at UCI is comparable to 167/3.71 at Texas, btw) There's no reason to think there will be a huge decrease in quality of students when the scholarship goes from 50% to 33%, if there is a decrease at all.

Additionally, Chemerinsky has been given full discretion by the UCI Chancellor to limit the number of students in order to maintain the medians.

It's a lot easier to see the hype once you've visited the school and get a feel for the energy and culture.

total_loss

Postby total_loss » Wed May 25, 2011 10:17 pm

thegreatk wrote:
total_loss wrote:

True, except there is SOME reason to think UCI COULD be the first. Three reasons:

Admission #s are top 20 quality- 167/3.65.
Faculty is #9 in the country as of 2009, and will increase in rank as some highly cited professors who have decided to go to UCI are incorporated into the new rankings.
Job #s- We have an incredibly supportive "investor" network, and our current students ALL have summer positions.

I don't think its realistic, but it is certainly possible. My guess is that they enter somewhere in between Hastings and Davis (top 25-30).

The only criteria listed above that gives "some" reason to think UCI "could" crack the Top 20 is the past two years' LSAT and GPA statistics (which were bought with 100% and 50% tuition scholarships respectively). What tends to be forgotten is that this old data will not be incorporated into UCI's eventual ranking, which will likely take place in the next 2-3 years. But even assuming the school's LSAT and GPA scores remain at the same level as past years, the "quality assessment" score--40% of each law school's overall score--will be the death knell any Top 20 aspirations. Not because the school isn't a quality institution with quality professors, but merely because it is brand new and not well known outside of Southern California. A lackluster quality assessment score would likely place it somewhere in T2 when its initial ranking is released.

Return to “Transfers”