Transfer Questions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Transfer Questions

Postby soaponarope » Sat May 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Ok, so... it's Saturday night and I'm a lil buzzed... (so please excuse any typographical errors/terrible grammar).

Question 1: I am applying to some of the law schools that I was denied on my first cycle. So my question is, are my old applications that I've sent out my first cycle --(old resumes, personal statements, etc...) still in the possession of said schools, i.e. will they compare my new documents with the old? (please do not jump to conclusions...)

Question 2: I wish to attend law school where I completed my undergraduate studies (for many reasons that I'm too lazy to type out and are irrelevant for this question). My question is, in transferring law schools does it hurt, help, or none of the above when you're a law school transfer candidate in regards to your old stompin grounds.

Question 3: Personal Statement. I cannot remember for the life of me if we are to title the statement or put a header ("personal statement/LSAC #).

Thanks guys...

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Questions for successful transfer students

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sat May 21, 2011 11:53 pm

1. Nobody "knows" the answer to this, but you should assume it is yes.

2. If your alma mater rejects you as a first year applicant, don't expect any preference as a transfer. It will probably not matter either way. Some would suggest that schools like to "broaden their alumni base," and hence have a slight bias against their own undergrads when it comes to all graduate admissions. The percentage of the typical HLS class that comes from Harvard College suggests that if they do care about this, then they don't care very much.

3. Unless instructions say otherwise, just put the "title" in as a running header, with your name and LSAC number.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Questions for successful transfer students

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 22, 2011 1:44 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:1. Nobody "knows" the answer to this, but you should assume it is yes.

You should stop making unfounded assumptions like this. I know the answer for this for at least one school is no. They have the old applications, but they do not pull them or compare them.

FireNextTime
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:01 am

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby FireNextTime » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 am

soaponarope wrote:Question 1: I am applying to some of the law schools that I was denied on my first cycle. So my question is, are my old applications that I've sent out my first cycle --(old resumes, personal statements, etc...) still in the possession of said schools, i.e. will they compare my new documents with the old? (please do not jump to conclusions...)


The admissions office probably will not do the arithmetic, but what's your plan here? Your resume should be different than it was 1 year ago. Your personal statement should be different. Your LoRs should, and in some cases, must, be different.

There is ZERO reason to use the old stuff. A lot of transfer apps ask if you've applied before. You think they'll just not bother to pull your old file?

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Questions for successful transfer students

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 2:18 am

vanwinkle wrote:You should stop making unfounded assumptions like this. I know the answer for this for at least one school is no. They have the old applications, but they do not pull them or compare them.

You should stop giving advice that's no substantial help to the OP. Do you have any idea what other schools besides this one do? Do you have any idea whether he's applying to the one school that you know this about? I know I can't answer his question; and I know you can't answer it either. It's not an "unfounded assumption" just because you don't know how much you don't know.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Questions for successful transfer students

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 22, 2011 2:24 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:You should stop making unfounded assumptions like this. I know the answer for this for at least one school is no. They have the old applications, but they do not pull them or compare them.

You should stop giving advice that's no substantial help to the OP. Do you have any idea what other schools besides this one do? Do you have any idea whether he's applying to the one school that you know this about? I know I can't answer his question; and I know you can't answer it either. It's not an "unfounded assumption" just because you don't know what you don't know.

If I know for one school then other people might know for others. Stop telling people that nobody knows something. You don't know for sure that nobody here does, and it's harmful to mislead posters by making it sound like you know something you don't.

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Questions for successful transfer students

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 2:25 am

vanwinkle wrote:It's harmful to mislead posters by making it sound like you know something you don't.

Yes, it is.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Questions for successful transfer students

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 am

Gideon Strumpet wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:It's harmful to mislead posters by making it sound like you know something you don't.

Yes, it is.

I'm glad you agree with me. I look forward to you no longer telling people that nobody knows the answer to something, then.

User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby soaponarope » Sun May 22, 2011 3:05 am

Thanks for the responses gals/fellas...

So yea... the reason I asked about schools reviewing old apps is because I checked one of my old apps (on LSAC) and I made a stupid mistake (it had to do with race/ethnicity). This cycle, I am far more informed (thanks to diligent research/TLS) and I obviously will not make the same mistake. Thus, in being more accurate/precise in my application this cycle I do not want the school to think I am snookering them this second time around.

Anyway, while I have the forum's attention... another question in regards to an email address (sorry if this is a stupid question).

Question: Should I use my current law schools email address or a different email address (on my resume, and applications).

Thanks.
Last edited by soaponarope on Sun May 22, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gideon Strumpet
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:31 am

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 3:09 am

soaponarope wrote:Question: Should I use my current law schools email address or a different email address (on my resume, and applications).

If you're talking about on your transfer apps, it probably doesn't matter; they'll know where you're going to school now, obviously. As long as you will reliably get email sent to the address, either one will do fine.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby plum » Sun May 22, 2011 4:46 am

sorry if this has already been answered please link it b/c i couldn't find it... but my question is: Is there any point to sending off the application before you get your spring grades back? will schools even consider transfer apps w/o the full set of grades? i have the essays done and have gathered all the dean's certs etc. only LORs and grades are remaining (i've already asked for the LORs and profs are working on them, there's nothing more for me to do there, they know the deadline is july 1st and i don't know when they'll send them, and i don't get my grades until mid june)... should i go ahead and send what i have so far? if they're not going to consider the apps at all w/o the full grades and completed file, i might as well hold on to the materials and continue to edit my PS to perfection

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby keg411 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 am

For schools with July deadlines, it's fine to wait. The only apps I personally sent early were the ones with June deadlines (Berkeley, GULC).

User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby soaponarope » Sun May 22, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey guys/gals... another question.

This summer, I am employed as a research assistant for a professor. I took the job because it pays $400 a week (I need the money).
I understand that RA positions are kinda "meh" when it comes to padding your resume with legal experience. However, I do have some legal experience (Summer 2010/shadowing experience at a private criminal defense firm).

My question is: Will my RA position hurt my chances in the pursuit of a successful transfer? Should I go out and try to volunteer somewhere/small private firm to make my application more attractive? The only problems in taking on another job are 1) the RA position is very demanding [40 hours a week] and 2) I am writing four personal statements tailored to each school. I think my PS would suffer if I took on more responsibilities.

Second Question: Should I work in my PS that my RA position was paid? Note: I am mentioning my RA position in the PS because my job involves research on the particular subject that my "dream" school specializes in. However, the other three schools that I am a candidate for do not specialize in the research I am conducting... so, I will not be mentioning the RA position in those PS.

Advice please?

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby plum » Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 pm

soaponarope wrote:Hey guys/gals... another question.

This summer, I am employed as a research assistant for a professor. I took the job because it pays $400 a week (I need the money).
I understand that RA positions are kinda "meh" when it comes to padding your resume with legal experience. However, I do have some legal experience (Summer 2010/shadowing experience at a private criminal defense firm).

My question is: Will my RA position hurt my chances in the pursuit of a successful transfer? Should I go out and try to volunteer somewhere/small private firm to make my application more attractive? The only problems in taking on another job are 1) the RA position is very demanding [40 hours a week] and 2) I am writing four personal statements tailored to each school. I think my PS would suffer if I took on more responsibilities.

Second Question: Should I work in my PS that my RA position was paid? Note: I am mentioning my RA position in the PS because my job involves research on the particular subject that my "dream" school specializes in. However, the other three schools that I am a candidate for do not specialize in the research I am conducting... so, I will not be mentioning the RA position in those PS.

Advice please?


i highly doubt any transfer school would care what you did with your summer as long as it's legal (same with employers). it's all about grades.

User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby soaponarope » Sun May 22, 2011 4:01 pm

plum wrote:
soaponarope wrote:Hey guys/gals... another question.

This summer, I am employed as a research assistant for a professor. I took the job because it pays $400 a week (I need the money).
I understand that RA positions are kinda "meh" when it comes to padding your resume with legal experience. However, I do have some legal experience (Summer 2010/shadowing experience at a private criminal defense firm).

My question is: Will my RA position hurt my chances in the pursuit of a successful transfer? Should I go out and try to volunteer somewhere/small private firm to make my application more attractive? The only problems in taking on another job are 1) the RA position is very demanding [40 hours a week] and 2) I am writing four personal statements tailored to each school. I think my PS would suffer if I took on more responsibilities.

Second Question: Should I work in my PS that my RA position was paid? Note: I am mentioning my RA position in the PS because my job involves research on the particular subject that my "dream" school specializes in. However, the other three schools that I am a candidate for do not specialize in the research I am conducting... so, I will not be mentioning the RA position in those PS.

Advice please?


i highly doubt any transfer school would care what you did with your summer as long as it's legal (same with employers). it's all about grades.



Eh... I was under the impression that adcoms do care to an extent. The more legal experience you have the more employable you are post graduation. Obviously, law schools want their students to be employed within nine months post graduation. But yea... grades >>>> than 1L summer legal experience.

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sun May 22, 2011 4:32 pm

keg411 wrote:For schools with July deadlines, it's fine to wait. The only apps I personally sent early were the ones with June deadlines (Berkeley, GULC).


I personally don't think this is good advice. There is no harm in sending them early (unless your current grades are not great and you somehow know you absolutely killed it this semester), and I have personally observed that sending in apps early can significantly impact your chances.

In my view, the credited steps are:
(1) Send in apps ASAP w/PS, follow up w/profs to make sure they send in letters as soon as they can (obviously don't pressure them too much, but do what you can)
(2) Supplement w/unofficial grades/transcript/ranking as soon as they are available (preferably by email)
(3) Send official transcript once it is ready

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sun May 22, 2011 4:37 pm

soaponarope wrote:Hey guys/gals... another question.

This summer, I am employed as a research assistant for a professor. I took the job because it pays $400 a week (I need the money).
I understand that RA positions are kinda "meh" when it comes to padding your resume with legal experience. However, I do have some legal experience (Summer 2010/shadowing experience at a private criminal defense firm).

My question is: Will my RA position hurt my chances in the pursuit of a successful transfer? Should I go out and try to volunteer somewhere/small private firm to make my application more attractive? The only problems in taking on another job are 1) the RA position is very demanding [40 hours a week] and 2) I am writing four personal statements tailored to each school. I think my PS would suffer if I took on more responsibilities.

Second Question: Should I work in my PS that my RA position was paid? Note: I am mentioning my RA position in the PS because my job involves research on the particular subject that my "dream" school specializes in. However, the other three schools that I am a candidate for do not specialize in the research I am conducting... so, I will not be mentioning the RA position in those PS.

Advice please?


I really don't think it will hurt you at all, and would absolutely NOT work in that it is paid. That likely has just about zero relevance to adcoms, and sounds (at least to me) like a laughable thing to include.

In my experience, much more important than your summer position are (1) grades/rank/school, (2) applying early, and (3) writing an EXTREMELY targeted PS w/specific programs/professors/geographic interest/etc.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Transfer Questions

Postby plum » Sun May 22, 2011 5:20 pm

how important is the PS? mine is just kind of short and generic. i have personal/family reasons for wanting to be in NY and also want to work/live there. but that's mainly it. i don't really have anything specific to say about myself other than generic i love the law stuff.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.