Writing an LOR

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
non sequitur

Writing an LOR

Postby non sequitur » Tue May 17, 2011 1:20 pm

I am applying to transfer to some law schools for next fall, after a fairly decent 1L year. One of my law professors who I approached about writing an LOR for me gave me a strange request. He told me that he wants me to provide him with an LOR about myself before he will write one.

My question is, how does one write an LOR? What do you include? Is this something I should spend considerable amounts of time drafting?

It seems like a really bizarre request and I have no experience writing these things, so I come to you TLS to provide me with some input.

soaponarope

Re: Writing an LOR

Postby soaponarope » Tue May 17, 2011 11:31 pm

First: It's "a" LOR, not "an"

Secondly: I would be honest and write about my strengths and (some) weaknesses. Be real with your prof and he will appreciate it...

fundamentallybroken

Re: Writing an LOR

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue May 17, 2011 11:46 pm

soaponarope wrote:First: It's "a" LOR, not "an"

Secondly: I would be honest and write about my strengths and (some) weaknesses. Be real with your prof and he will appreciate it...

I disagree. It would be "a" letter of recognition, because that starts with a consonant sound. But LOR starts with a vowel sound (el-oh-ar), therefore "an" sounds more natural. It's like saying a hotel in America, but in England it's an hotel.

On topic, the prof wants you to write about yourself so he doesn't have to remember who you are or what you're good at. Just be honest, and toot your horn a bit (since that's what LORs are for.)

Return to “Transfers”