Chicago Transfer Class of 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TransferRisk

New

Re: Chicago Transfer Class of 2013

Post by TransferRisk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 pm

mebeSajid wrote:I'm wondering if the people who are still under review are basically a waitlist.
I think that's right. Wasn't the deposit deadline today (for those who were accepted 1-2 weeks ago)? Or is it tomorrow?

dobby

New

Post by dobby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:06 pm

since i am transferring from uchicago to stanford, hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you guys still waiting. i'll probably be telling the school tomorrow that i'm leaving. good luck to everyone still waiting on uchicago, i really recommend it as a great school (i'm not leaving b/c i didn't like it there)!

TransferRisk

New

Post by TransferRisk » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks dobby :-). Btw, how many firms are coming to UChi OCI? Also, do you happen to know very roughly how many West Coast offices are coming to UChi OCI?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:12 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote: C/O 2011 from the write-on competiton:

0 LR
0 Legal Forum (I think one person was invited to Legal Forum and turned it down)
1 CJIL (ended up comments/developments editor)
Wow. That is not very encouraging. What's the reason not many transfers write on? Is it just that not a lot make a go at it?
ToTransferOrNot wrote: Re: other thoughts. The 3L hiring process matters a lot for transfers who do reasonably well in 2L year. I can think of 5 people off the top of my head who "upgraded" in 3L OCI/mass-mailing. Also, you should mass-mail in addition to 2L OCI - one of the C/O 2012 transfers didn't have much luck via OCI, but landed V5 via his letters.
Can you go into this more? I'm a little confused. The student did 2L OCI (and OCI which every v5 attends) but got a job with a V5 outside of OCI during his 2L year? I'm mass-mailing firms that aren't coming to OCI, but it seems a little silly to mass-mail firms that come.
Yep, that's exactly what happened. Don't know whether he had a screener with the firm he got hired at or not. Keep in mind that you can't interview with every firm at OCI - maybe he decided to not waste a bid on that particular firm, I honestly don't know.

zcc2012

New

Post by zcc2012 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
NakedPowerOrgan wrote:
Can you go into this more? I'm a little confused. The student did 2L OCI (and OCI which every v5 attends) but got a job with a V5 outside of OCI during his 2L year? I'm mass-mailing firms that aren't coming to OCI, but it seems a little silly to mass-mail firms that come.
Yep, that's exactly what happened. Don't know whether he had a screener with the firm he got hired at or not. Keep in mind that you can't interview with every firm at OCI - maybe he decided to not waste a bid on that particular firm, I honestly don't know.
I was in a similar situation last year and got my SA the same way.

I expressed interest in a particular market to OCS. OCS told me not to bid on employers from that market, because I didn't have a chance without ties. I listened to OCS (in hindsight, not my best move) and didn't interview with those firms at OCI. After OCI, I was kicking myself for not taking a shot, so I mass mailed and got an SA at one of the firms that had come to OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Chiglaw

New

Post by Chiglaw » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm

TransferRisk wrote:
mebeSajid wrote:I'm wondering if the people who are still under review are basically a waitlist.
I think that's right. Wasn't the deposit deadline today (for those who were accepted 1-2 weeks ago)? Or is it tomorrow?
+1 Someone in the other Chicago thread said they had to deposit this week.

dobby

New

Post by dobby » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:40 pm

TransferRisk wrote:Thanks dobby :-). Btw, how many firms are coming to UChi OCI? Also, do you happen to know very roughly how many West Coast offices are coming to UChi OCI?
Yes, more than roughly actually (since I want West Coast). There are 82 CA offices interviewing at Chicago's OCI, which probably translates into 40-50 unique firms. In terms of the entire OCI, I think it's something like 350 offices, but I have no idea how many firms that is. Every major firm will be there, although if you're interested in a secondary market not in the Midwest you will need to do a good amount of mailing (not enough UChicago students go to their firms each year to make it worth their time/money to go to OCI, but they're all very receptive of Chicago students). Feel free to post again or PM me with follow-up questions.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

Sending in my deposit today :) I still haven't heard from Y or S, but I'm growing ever more attached to the idea of being in HP next year.

tycho_brahe

New

Post by tycho_brahe » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:25 pm

does uchicago give any academic credit for journal participation, or is journal work done in addition to whatever credit load is required?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NakedPowerOrgan

Bronze

Post by NakedPowerOrgan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Will any fellow transferees be in town on the 15th to help with moving into Regents? Will gladly repay your assistance with beer/reciprocal move-in help/hugs.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:42 pm

tycho_brahe wrote:does uchicago give any academic credit for journal participation, or is journal work done in addition to whatever credit load is required?
Your Comment counts for the substantial writing assignment requirement, but I don't believe you get any credits for anything.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 pm

NakedPowerOrgan wrote:Will any fellow transferees be in town on the 15th to help with moving into Regents? Will gladly repay your assistance with beer/reciprocal move-in help/hugs.
I'm trying to work out a move-in date with regents right now, around the 10th. If I am in town, I'll definitely lend you a hand. PM'd

scat_cat

New

Post by scat_cat » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Emma. wrote:
tycho_brahe wrote:does uchicago give any academic credit for journal participation, or is journal work done in addition to whatever credit load is required?
Your Comment counts for the substantial writing assignment requirement, but I don't believe you get any credits for anything.
No credit for extracurriculars (clinics and Greenbergs are for credit). You can, however, choose to do your 9-credit quarters whenever you have the most work for journal, and most people do. PSA: Doing a journal is very worth it for OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:28 pm

scat_cat wrote:
Emma. wrote:
No credit for extracurriculars (clinics and Greenbergs are for credit). You can, however, choose to do your 9-credit quarters whenever you have the most work for journal, and most people do. PSA: Doing a journal is very worth it for OCI.
Is Hillary August the current topic access editor or is that memo outdated? I did not take part in the write-on and would like to get my proposal in asap.

buxfactor

New

Post by buxfactor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 am

Best advice for OCI: bid on the firms in the markets you want to work at, especially if they are Chicago and NYC. Be careful about smaller markets.

However, for smaller markets (Chicago counts, but you can at least say you go to U Chicago, which matters), make sure you have relevant ties / reasons you want to be there. I bid mainly on West coast / NYC / Chicago firms for OCI (wanted to work out in LA), but apparently my 2 years of WE out there and summer internships in LA didn't help. Ended up with multiple offers at NYC and Chicago firms, but no call backs at LA firms. Grades / WE / resume were definitely not the issue -- I really believe it was because I was not from the area.

My friend, a fellow transfer, had a very similar experience to me with regards to West coast firms and not having any significant ties to the area. We are both working at top NYC firms now, so I can't complain, but just don't go all-in on a market where you can't say something significant about your ties to that area.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:11 am

buxfactor wrote:Best advice for OCI: bid on the firms in the markets you want to work at, especially if they are Chicago and NYC. Be careful about smaller markets.

However, for smaller markets (Chicago counts, but you can at least say you go to U Chicago, which matters), make sure you have relevant ties / reasons you want to be there. I bid mainly on West coast / NYC / Chicago firms for OCI (wanted to work out in LA), but apparently my 2 years of WE out there and summer internships in LA didn't help. Ended up with multiple offers at NYC and Chicago firms, but no call backs at LA firms. Grades / WE / resume were definitely not the issue -- I really believe it was because I was not from the area.

My friend, a fellow transfer, had a very similar experience to me with regards to West coast firms and not having any significant ties to the area. We are both working at top NYC firms now, so I can't complain, but just don't go all-in on a market where you can't say something significant about your ties to that area.
Other than the geographic aspect, any advice on how conservatively to bid? Are we just going to have to accept that how a firm is going to view our 1L year is going to be a wild card?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Don't forget to submit your menagerie photo, if you haven't done so yet. Deadline is coming up. (Wednesday)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”