Baltimore (journal, moot court, top 25%) v. Richmond

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

University of Baltimore (journal, moot court, top 25%) v. University of Richmond?

Stay at University of Baltimore (journal, moot court, top 25%)
89%
Transfer to University of Richmond
11%

Total votes: 19

TransferQuestion

Baltimore (journal, moot court, top 25%) v. Richmond

Postby TransferQuestion » Tue May 10, 2011 1:53 pm

I have not received my second semester grades yet, so I am speaking hypothetically. But, judging by my last semester grades, and what University of Richmond has told me, I should have the grades to transfer (hopefully). FYI, Richmond simply said they are looking for a strong "B" average.

I made the moot court team and am currently writing on to Journal at UB. IF I make it on to a journal, is it still a smart idea to transfer? My concern is that while I will be "transferring up" from Baltimore (#117) to Richmond (#67), I will be missing out on journal and moot court opportunities. Many of the Jobs I have looked at want people with Journal and/or Moot court on their resume.

Other factors to consider:
1. I would like to work In DC/Northern Va, Baltimore/Maryland or Richmond.
2. Planning on going into IP/patent Law.
3. Richmond will be about 10K more expensive/year.

Norwood

Re: Baltimore (journal, moot court, top 25%) v. Richmond

Postby Norwood » Tue May 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Have you asked Richmond about how they treat transfers in regard to journals, OCI, and moot court?

most schools allow you to participate on these programs even if you missed the regular write-ons or "try outs". For instance, my school has a separate write-on competition for law review that takes place in late summer just for transfers. If this is the case then you won't be "missing out". However, it may be a bit more difficult to make it onto these programs since the student body at Richmond may arguably be a bit more smarter/motivated, but that should be the only hurdle you face.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue May 10, 2011 4:17 pm

UB to Richmond is largely a regional-selection issue. Either school places quite poorly outside its region, so you'll need to analyze this decision based upon a two-region decision matrix. Admittedly, each school might place a non-insignificant percentage of its graduates outside the region, but for your purposes, you should focus on where each school places a majority of its students. Focusing on smaller placement percentages in other regions will convolute your decision-making process and ultimately (and highly likely) lead to an irrational decision.

So, where would you rather work? If you're still interested in living/working in Baltimore, then there is absolutely no reason to transfer, since transferring to Richmond will, in all likelihood, lead to an insignificant marginal utility for your career in Baltimore. If you find Baltimore an insufferable environment and could not see yourself working there, ever, then transferring to Richmond might make sense, especially seeing as how the difference is only $10k. As you correctly identified, however, you lose your GPA/LR/moot court/whatever credentials when you transfer. Moreover, you've also picked-up on how detrimental losing those credentials can be come OCI-time.

TransferQuestion wrote:Many of the Jobs I have looked at want people with Journal and/or Moot court on their resume.

Thus, if you transfer to Richmond, you'll likely be at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to your job hunt in Richmond, thereby erasing any marginal utility otherwise realized by transferring. On the other hand, if you stay in Baltimore, you'll be at an advantage over others in your school, and likely have an easier time finding a desirable job.

Alternatively, given your interest in IP, I'd suggest that you also throw an application to GW, regardless of whether your grades improve. IIRC, there is a transfer or two from UB, but I'm not sure about their stats. I know quite a few IP transfers at GW that did quite well during OCI.

GL!

TransferQuestion

Postby TransferQuestion » Tue May 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Either City is fine with me actually. DC would be optimal, but I am fine with Baltimore or Richmond. I guess my question would be, what would employers favor more - coming from UB in the top 25% with journal/moot court. Or coming from Richmond in the middle 50% possibly without journal/moot court. Thats assuming I am applying for jobs in Bmore for UB and applying to jobs in Richmond from UR. That is a good point about transfers being able write on though. I will have to look into that thanks.

And I've looked into GW, it seems they want transfers to be in the top 10% of their class, which i am not. However it may be worth throwing up a hail mary, depending on my grades this semester. The other thing I am worried about, is if asking for transcripts and letters of Rec. will hurt my relationship with UB (for OCI and such). Anyone have any expirence with this?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue May 10, 2011 5:39 pm

TransferQuestion wrote:The other thing I am worried about, is if asking for transcripts and letters of Rec. will hurt my relationship with UB (for OCI and such). Anyone have any expirence with this?

In my experience, no.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed May 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Transferring to Richmond would be a truly horrible mistake.

TransferQuestion

Postby TransferQuestion » Wed May 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Any reason you say that, besides what has been mentioned?

Postby 23402385985 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:37 pm

I would think if you are that well off at Baltimore in terms of grades that you would be better off staying there. Richmond doesn't seem to be that big of a jump to warrant paying more. Shit, use Richmond as a way to get more money from Baltimore. What are your stats?

Scottie2Hottie

Postby Scottie2Hottie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:45 pm

23402385985 wrote:I would think if you are that well off at Baltimore in terms of grades that you would be better off staying there. Richmond doesn't seem to be that big of a jump to warrant paying more. Shit, use Richmond as a way to get more money from Baltimore. What are your stats?

Ditto

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Any chance of getting scholarship money from your current school if you finish in the top 20% ? Top 15% ? Top 10% ?

Return to “Transfers”