Waiting until spring grades to even decide to trasfer

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Transpher
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Waiting until spring grades to even decide to trasfer

Postby Transpher » Mon May 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Is this a death sentence? I haven't asked professors for recs yet but I guess I could this week.

I really don't want to start working on transfer applications until I know that my spring grades will give me a chance at transferring. There are so many things that I have to consider re: transferring that I can't make decisions on until I see my grades. We're supposed to get spring grades June 10. The earliest deadline would be July 1.

Are other people doing this? Am I going to be totally screwed?

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Waiting until spring grades to even decide to trasfer

Postby zomginternets » Mon May 09, 2011 11:00 pm

It doesn't give you much, if any, time to get recs. Are you sure your profs will be around during summer to write one for you? Also, as I'm sure you'll recall, writing a personal statement is a bitch. If you're also working this summer, this might be a tight window in which to get a solid PS done.

It's not like you have to go if you apply. If you back out, all you lose is the application fee. I think you are leaving yourself too small a window to get your transfer app together and sent off if you actually wait until spring grades come out. (Obviously it's possible, but it doesn't leave much room for contingencies.)

While you don't have to decide now if you actually want to transfer, I certainly think you need to decide now if you want to apply to transfer.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Waiting until spring grades to even decide to trasfer

Postby random5483 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 am

Transpher wrote:Is this a death sentence? I haven't asked professors for recs yet but I guess I could this week.

I really don't want to start working on transfer applications until I know that my spring grades will give me a chance at transferring. There are so many things that I have to consider re: transferring that I can't make decisions on until I see my grades. We're supposed to get spring grades June 10. The earliest deadline would be July 1.

Are other people doing this? Am I going to be totally screwed?



Most schools begin accepting students on a rolling basis beginning middle or end of June. Applying at July 1 won't be a death sentence, but it will put you at a slight or significant disadvantage (based on the school). Also, several schools have June 15 deadlines (deadlines tend to be from June 15-July 15).

At the very least, ask for letter of recommendations now. Do not ask for them in June or you might not get them in time. It takes a few days to schedule a meeting with a professor and it will likely take longer in Summer. Moreover, not all professors are going to be available in the June-July period. Also, professors should be given 1 month to write your letter and asking in June would be pushing it. Optimally, you ask for letter of recommendations by April (or earlier), but even early May is not too late. Ask for the letter of recommendations now even if you don't plan on sending out applications or working on a personal statement till later.

Transpher
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 pm

Re: Waiting until spring grades to even decide to trasfer

Postby Transpher » Tue May 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to ask for LOR's this week.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.