Transfer possibilities/too late in the game T25 Top 5-10%

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RMotl

Transfer possibilities/too late in the game T25 Top 5-10%

Postby RMotl » Sat May 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Here's the deal. I go to a t-25 school and I'm currently ranked somewhere within the top 5-10% based on last years rankings. I do not have any grades yet from this semester but am cautiously optimistic. My question is essentially do I have a shot at the T6 at all if my grades stay the same? Is there even a hail mary's chance at H?

Also, is it too late in the game to consider transferring? I feel as if people who have considered have already asked for LOR and I haven't even began to think about this process.

Thanks for any help in advance.

vanwinkle

Re: Transfer possibilities/too late in the game T25 Top 5-10%

Postby vanwinkle » Sat May 07, 2011 1:53 pm

I think you have a shot at T6, and a small but worthwhile shot for H/S. The T6 schools get a lot of transfer apps, so besides your grades, a lot will depend on the rest of your app (your reasons for transferring, your demonstrated interest in attending these particular schools, etc.) and anything unique or compelling you might bring to the class.

HLS in particular is actively looking for WE in its transfer applicants now. If you have multiple years of WE that will stand out and be a plus, as long as it's highlighted on your resume.

You should be seeking LORs now. You won't have time once you get your spring grades back; I didn't get spring grades until mid-June, and the application deadlines for a lot of schools is around July 1. (SLS is June 15, be careful about that! You may have to submit on the 15th without spring grades, and submit spring grades in an addendum once you have them.) The point is, professors need time to write good LORs and send them to LSAC, and LSAC needs them in by the deadline for you to submit your completed transfer app by then. Asking now helps a lot in making sure you get through the process on time.

If you end up not applying, worst-case scenario is you thank those professors for their help and show them you're grateful but tell them you've decided to stay. You know they'll probably be professors you can count on in the future if they were willing to write LORs for you, as long as you maintain those positive connections with them.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I think you have a shot at T6, and a small but worthwhile shot for H/S. The T6 schools get a lot of transfer apps, so besides your grades, a lot will depend on the rest of your app (your reasons for transferring, your demonstrated interest in attending these particular schools, etc.) and anything unique or compelling you might bring to the class.

HLS in particular is actively looking for WE in its transfer applicants now. If you have multiple years of WE that will stand out and be a plus, as long as it's highlighted on your resume.

You should be seeking LORs now. You won't have time once you get your spring grades back; I didn't get spring grades until mid-June, and the application deadlines for a lot of schools is around July 1. (SLS is June 15, be careful about that! You may have to submit on the 15th without spring grades, and submit spring grades in an addendum once you have them.) The point is, professors need time to write good LORs and send them to LSAC, and LSAC needs them in by the deadline for you to submit your completed transfer app by then. Asking now helps a lot in making sure you get through the process on time.

If you end up not applying, worst-case scenario is you thank those professors for their help and show them you're grateful but tell them you've decided to stay. You know they'll probably be professors you can count on in the future if they were willing to write LORs for you, as long as you maintain those positive connections with them.

Vanwinkle's answer is spot on. I just want to emphasize though that you should request the LoRs as soon as possible. You are late in the game for LoRs, but you are not late in the game for transfer applications. Request those LoRs quickly. Also, try to send your applications in this month or in early June. Some schools start accepting transfers in mid-June, so the earlier you apply the better (you can submit application before Spring grades).

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat May 07, 2011 10:00 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I think you have a shot at T6, and a small but worthwhile shot for H/S. The T6 schools get a lot of transfer apps, so besides your grades, a lot will depend on the rest of your app (your reasons for transferring, your demonstrated interest in attending these particular schools, etc.) and anything unique or compelling you might bring to the class.

RMotl

Postby RMotl » Mon May 09, 2011 7:31 pm

Thank you for the help. An additional question. What about asking for a LOR from a writing Prof whose class I didn't do well in. He is obviously the prof I have the best relationship with and I know he would be willing to say good things for me. He previously reached out to a colleague to try and get me a job and said nothing but good things about me. However, I'm afraid it might put him in an awkward position since I actually was below the curve in his writing class.

Also, how will that look on a transfer app. The vast majority of my grades are in the A range except for my writing grades which are both B's. Will this be a big deal for schools or are they more likely just to look at the number.

Thanks.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm

RMotl wrote:Thank you for the help. An additional question. What about asking for a LOR from a writing Prof whose class I didn't do well in. He is obviously the prof I have the best relationship with and I know he would be willing to say good things for me. He previously reached out to a colleague to try and get me a job and said nothing but good things about me. However, I'm afraid it might put him in an awkward position since I actually was below the curve in his writing class.

Also, how will that look on a transfer app. The vast majority of my grades are in the A range except for my writing grades which are both B's. Will this be a big deal for schools or are they more likely just to look at the number.

Thanks.

Generally, schools look at your overall rank. It's understood that you're not going to have uniformly great grades; almost nobody does. I had a couple grades substantially below the rest, and that didn't hurt me in the long run.

Regarding the LOR... what you really want are strong and positive LORs. You might talk to him about whether he could write one for you despite having gotten a B in his class. Did you continue to seek his advice outside of class, or after the semester ended? If so, that could still reflect really well on you, I think. It just depends.

You still want to get at least one LOR from a professor who gave you top marks, even if you do this.

RMotl

Postby RMotl » Tue May 10, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks again for all the help. One more of what's probably a stupid question. Do you apply the same exact way you did the first time through LSAC; essentially just updating them with LOR from current profs?

teebone51

Postby teebone51 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:44 am

RMotl wrote:Thanks again for all the help. One more of what's probably a stupid question. Do you apply the same exact way you did the first time through LSAC; essentially just updating them with LOR from current profs?

it's the same as far as the lsac process is concerned. additionally, most schools require a letter of good standing and transcript which have to be sent from your current school directly to the other school.

Return to “Transfers”