Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 9:22 am

I know there are a few Michigan transfers lurking around TLS. We are happy to take your questions. Good luck with your applications.

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 9:40 am

I should say, anecdotally, I could not have asked for a better transfer experience. The administration, faculty, and students have all been warm and welcoming. The school has a transfer specific orientation and goes out of its way to ensure successful integration. Also, the faculty love transfers (it is the work ethic).

I am unaware of any transfers who do not have paying summer positions. Personally, I am @ a V20 firm that was my top choice.

Questions about jobs, journals, academics, the social scene--let us have them.

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby lawloser22 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 am

SGO wrote:I should say, anecdotally, I could not have asked for a better transfer experience. The administration, faculty, and students have all been warm and welcoming. The school has a transfer specific orientation and goes out of its way to ensure successful integration. Also, the faculty love transfers (it is the work ethic).

I am unaware of any transfers who do not have paying summer positions. Personally, I am @ a V20 firm that was my top choice.

Questions about jobs, journals, academics, the social scene--let us have them.


Thanks for doing this! I'd be interested to know where you transferred from and what your 1L grades were. Where else did you apply? Do you recall when Michigan's application went up? Did you participate in the fall write-on, and did it conflict with OCI?

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby Wholigan » Thu May 05, 2011 11:02 am

How do you like Ann Arbor in general? Do you know many transfers (or any students for that matter) who came there along with a SO? If so, how do you think the SOs like it there? Did any of them try to/have any success finding work in the area? How is the cost of living?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby keg411 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Glad you've had a good experience OP :). I will likely be applying assuming my grades don't drop off (which... they might).

1) How did transfers do overall at OCI? Good, bad, mix? Or did it depend on target market? Did you do a mass mailing before transferring or did you just get your job through OCI?
2) Are most transfer from T1's or do they take a decent number of T2 students?
3) What is the time-frame like (in terms of acceptance-move-OCI)?

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 12:47 pm

lawloser22 wrote:Thanks for doing this! I'd be interested to know where you transferred from and what your 1L grades were. Where else did you apply? Do you recall when Michigan's application went up? Did you participate in the fall write-on, and did it conflict with OCI?


Without outing myself, I transferred from a T3/T4 and was at the very top of my class. Needless to say 99.9% of the firms at Michigan OCI did not interview at my school. I ended up with over 20 OCI interviews and multiple callbacks.

I applied to many similar ranked (US News) schools, receiving acceptances at schools ranked higher and lower. Ultimately I decided Michigan was the right choice because I felt it offered the best opportunities for a transfer student. (Jobs, clerkships, faculty/administration support, integration, and community). I don't recall when Michigan's application went up; however, I distinctly remember that my acceptance was right around the July 4th holiday.

Michigan transfers participate in journal competitions over the summer. It did not conflict with EIW. There are transfers on all the journals. I know of at least 2 that are EIC's.

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Wholigan wrote:How do you like Ann Arbor in general? Do you know many transfers (or any students for that matter) who came there along with a SO? If so, how do you think the SOs like it there? Did any of them try to/have any success finding work in the area? How is the cost of living?


I really like Ann Arbor, though I know it is not for everyone. It is a true college town and also very "crunch granola." The great part is that it has multiple distinct communities. If you want to be a part of the undergrad scene with the corresponding nightlife, you can live on campus. However, there is also a large white collar community (Google, etc. http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/google-plans-to-add-jobs-in-ann-arbor-as-global-hiring-accelerates/) that frequents the Main street area with its nicer restaurants and bars.

I have a friend who transferred from out west with their SO. They seem to love Ann Arbor; however, they have family in the area. I am uncertain whether this makes the difference. For COL see, http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/snapshots/PL2603000.html. I think it is a little bit higher than the average Midwest town, but still very affordable.

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 pm

keg411 wrote:Glad you've had a good experience OP :). I will likely be applying assuming my grades don't drop off (which... they might).

1) How did transfers do overall at OCI? Good, bad, mix? Or did it depend on target market? Did you do a mass mailing before transferring or did you just get your job through OCI?
2) Are most transfer from T1's or do they take a decent number of T2 students?
3) What is the time-frame like (in terms of acceptance-move-OCI)?


1. I think transfers did very well at OCI. Like I said above, I am unaware of any transfers that do not have paying jobs for the summer. Again, anecdotally, I know that many of us got exactly the jobs we were looking for. I did not mass mail. My job came from OCI.
2. It is a mix of T1/T2/T3/T4, no one area was really over represented. However, there were quite a few from Wash U and Michigan State.
3. I can only tell you about my timing. I was accepted right around July 4th and made my decision within 2 weeks. As soon as I accepted career services was on the phone helping me with OCI and Journal selection.

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby lawloser22 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:03 pm

SGO wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:Thanks for doing this! I'd be interested to know where you transferred from and what your 1L grades were. Where else did you apply? Do you recall when Michigan's application went up? Did you participate in the fall write-on, and did it conflict with OCI?


Without outing myself, I transferred from a T3/T4 and was at the very top of my class. Needless to say 99.9% of the firms at Michigan OCI did not interview at my school. I ended up with over 20 OCI interviews and multiple callbacks.

I applied to many similar ranked (US News) schools, receiving acceptances at schools ranked higher and lower. Ultimately I decided Michigan was the right choice because I felt it offered the best opportunities for a transfer student. (Jobs, clerkships, faculty/administration support, integration, and community). I don't recall when Michigan's application went up; however, I distinctly remember that my acceptance was right around the July 4th holiday.

Michigan transfers participate in journal competitions over the summer. It did not conflict with EIW. There are transfers on all the journals. I know of at least 2 that are EIC's.


Interesting, thanks!

I think they must be changing the transfer write-on to fall this year:

"Writing competitions for transfer students are held in the early fall, right after classes begin. Additional information about the journal writing competitions will be sent to all admitted transfer students."

I know the early interview week is prior to classes, but as far as I can tell, CBs are generally around this time...

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 1:04 pm

I'll try and see if I can get some of the other students to weigh in on your questions.

User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby risktaker » Thu May 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Did you attend the T3/T4 with close to a full scholly or were ur numbers at par with the rest of ur class? Thanks.

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 1:19 pm

risktaker wrote:Did you attend the T3/T4 with close to a full scholly or were ur numbers at par with the rest of ur class? Thanks.
risktaker wrote:Did you attend the T3/T4 with close to a full scholly or were ur numbers at par with the rest of ur class? Thanks.


I was a splitter (GPA/LSAT). However, it is my understanding that those numbers have little (maybe even no) impact on your transfer application. As far as transitioning into UMLS academics; it has not been a problem. That being said, there are some crazy smart people at the law school.

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 1:25 pm

lawloser22 wrote:I think they must be changing the transfer write-on to fall this year:

"Writing competitions for transfer students are held in the early fall, right after classes begin. Additional information about the journal writing competitions will be sent to all admitted transfer students."

I know the early interview week is prior to classes, but as far as I can tell, CBs are generally around this time...


FYI, the write-on is over the summer. The above information is incorrect. I suspect you will see it disappear from the website in short order.

lawloser22
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby lawloser22 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:43 pm

SGO wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:I think they must be changing the transfer write-on to fall this year:

"Writing competitions for transfer students are held in the early fall, right after classes begin. Additional information about the journal writing competitions will be sent to all admitted transfer students."

I know the early interview week is prior to classes, but as far as I can tell, CBs are generally around this time...


FYI, the write-on is over the summer. The above information is incorrect. I suspect you will see it disappear from the website in short order.


Haha perfect, tyft!

I'm also curious to know why they don't mention anything about a personal statement on the transfer page. I'm assuming they want one; maybe they consider it part of the 'application'... Do you happen to recall anything about it?

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Thu May 05, 2011 1:56 pm

lawloser22 wrote: I'm also curious to know why they don't mention anything about a personal statement on the transfer page. I'm assuming they want one; maybe they consider it part of the 'application'... Do you happen to recall anything about it?


If I recall correctly I did a two page personal statement and an optional one page "why Michigan" statement.

Dean Z would probably kill me for saying this, but I highly suggest coming up to Ann Arbor and requesting a visit with admissions. I sat in on a summer class and had an opportunity to speak with an admissions counselor. My time on campus was highly informative and played a significant part in my decision.

User avatar
DeSimone
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby DeSimone » Fri May 06, 2011 11:55 am

Would transferring from a school that generally doesn't place in NYC to a school in the Midwest make sense for someone looking for NYC biglaw? How is the access to the New York market for UMich transfers in general? I have a similar concern with UVa.

SGO
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:23 am

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby SGO » Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 am

DeSimone wrote:Would transferring from a school that generally doesn't place in NYC to a school in the Midwest make sense for someone looking for NYC biglaw? How is the access to the New York market for UMich transfers in general? I have a similar concern with UVa.


I think it makes sense if the school is Michigan, not so sure about other Midwest schools. Michigan places well in NYC. Moreover, because of the school's national placement, there is not one geographic area that dominates. Thus, you are not competing with an entire class to go to one set of firms in one city (think Northwestern, NYU, GULC, etc.). I found this to be incredibly beneficial.

Incanate
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby Incanate » Sat May 07, 2011 10:09 am

DeSimone wrote:Would transferring from a school that generally doesn't place in NYC to a school in the Midwest make sense for someone looking for NYC biglaw? How is the access to the New York market for UMich transfers in general? I have a similar concern with UVa.


Another Mich transfer here - I didn't apply to the NY markets but they seemed to be the most brisk in terms of hiring. That market also seemed to have the largest presence at OCI - I expect that to remain the same. You're probably in better shape (higher likelihood of callbacks) targeting NY than other students who go after other markets (both transfers and otherwise).

Incanate
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby Incanate » Sat May 07, 2011 10:17 am

SGO wrote:
lawloser22 wrote: I'm also curious to know why they don't mention anything about a personal statement on the transfer page. I'm assuming they want one; maybe they consider it part of the 'application'... Do you happen to recall anything about it?


If I recall correctly I did a two page personal statement and an optional one page "why Michigan" statement.

Dean Z would probably kill me for saying this, but I highly suggest coming up to Ann Arbor and requesting a visit with admissions. I sat in on a summer class and had an opportunity to speak with an admissions counselor. My time on campus was highly informative and played a significant part in my decision.


Also, to all transfers - NEVER WAFFLE ON THE OPTIONAL ESSAYS. While they are "technically" optional, I remember hearing from guidance counselors while I was an undergrad at Michigan saying that the law admissions office filters out applications on the basis of whether they do the optional essays. I'm sure it isn't a hard and fast rule, but it makes sense - those willing to put in the time to do the essays show thoroughness, attention to detail, going the extra mile to get into Michigan, etc.

Remember that you're competing with a crop of transfer prospects who have done just as well as you in their first year. The optional essays are an opportunity for you to stand out - they want people who WANT to go to Michigan.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby PKSebben » Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 am

Another Mich transfer checking in. I'm a first-year associate in NYC biglaw. Got the gig in the bloodbath of aught eight through OCI. Got a lot of callbacks (10+), 5 offers, and I started turning down callbacks after I got the firm I wanted. Had a great experience and wouldn't have traded it for anything. Fire away with questions.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby PKSebben » Sat May 07, 2011 10:23 am

Incanate wrote:
DeSimone wrote:Would transferring from a school that generally doesn't place in NYC to a school in the Midwest make sense for someone looking for NYC biglaw? How is the access to the New York market for UMich transfers in general? I have a similar concern with UVa.


Another Mich transfer here - I didn't apply to the NY markets but they seemed to be the most brisk in terms of hiring. That market also seemed to have the largest presence at OCI - I expect that to remain the same. You're probably in better shape (higher likelihood of callbacks) targeting NY than other students who go after other markets (both transfers and otherwise).


absolutely. my experience as well.

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby PKSebben » Sat May 07, 2011 10:25 am

DeSimone wrote:Would transferring from a school that generally doesn't place in NYC to a school in the Midwest make sense for someone looking for NYC biglaw? How is the access to the New York market for UMich transfers in general? I have a similar concern with UVa.


Was in this situation, ended up in NYC biglaw along with about half my transfer class. Mich has decent access to the NY markets but also seems to spread its class out pretty broadly. You see a significant number of chaps end up in Ohio, Delaware, Texas, Cali, Minn, Denver....

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby keg411 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:42 pm

Good news about NYC, since that is my target market (along with Philly and Jersey). And thanks for the info about the optional essays :).

I'll admit since I started thinking about transferring after my first semester grades and have started looking more into the schools, Michigan has really grown on me. Now hopefully my second semester grades will cooperate :? .

slv123086
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby slv123086 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:03 pm

My understanding, and my experience, is that your transfer statement will encompass a "Why _________" theme. This is what makes transferring a lot of work, you have to tailor your statement to each school.

Is there a reason to go the extra mile and write another "Why Michigan" statement, if that is a primary theme for your original transfer statement?


Thanks in advance!

User avatar
PKSebben
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Are you thinking of applying as a Michigan transfer?

Postby PKSebben » Sat May 07, 2011 7:05 pm

slv123086 wrote:My understanding, and my experience, is that your transfer statement will encompass a "Why _________" theme. This is what makes transferring a lot of work, you have to tailor your statement to each school.

Is there a reason to go the extra mile and write another "Why Michigan" statement, if that is a primary theme for your original transfer statement?


Thanks in advance!


My PS did not focus on Why Michigan and I wrote a separate Why Michigan essay.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.