Transferring (answered)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hadokenstyle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Transferring (answered)

Postby hadokenstyle » Thu May 05, 2011 12:08 am

X
Last edited by hadokenstyle on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby patrickd139 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 am

Standard advice is standard for a reason. HYS or stay put.

Also, IBThere'sNoSuchThingAsInternationalLaw.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby shoeshine » Thu May 05, 2011 12:17 am

I would stay put. Go to Japan and clear your head.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 am

Hello there OP

Sorry to hear about your father, and I hate to point to that situation, but are you close? It really is not any of my business, but if you want to suddenly move out of the area, you may want to really speak with your parents about it, given the situation...just wouldn't want you to make a mistake you'd regret. More to life than getting away from unbearable classmates. That and you just sound like you're sick of your life right now -- not so much the locale. A lot of stressful things are going on, nothing is going your way. You feel like a change...an escape if you will, would be best for you, and I'm inclined to agree.

But getting into that Japan program sounds like it would fit the bill. Go clear your head, spend 6 months abroad -- it'll be good for you, and it might bring some perspective (and much needed "rest" from the elements of life that just seem to keep piling on for you at the moment) and allow you to come back and view your "old life" differently...even tackle it better and be stronger for it. Maybe. I just don't believe picking up and storming out of pretty much everything/everyone right now (I know you aren't necessarily saying you plan on storming out, but given all the details and the tone of your msg, it seems like it'd end in something close to that) is the best decision for your family, your gf, or most importantly you.

Like you said, you have a lot going for you at UCLA and the upcoming semester, and there may be "what-ifs" if you don't transfer, but the same could be said if AFTER transferring it wasn't all that you thought it was cracked out to be. Don't play the what-if game, you'll always lose. The students do not necessarily get better the higher up you go...from what I've seen, just section to section, there are groups of all types; all sorts of personalities. Some you get along with, some not so much (isn't that life?). I don't think you'll be escaping that by going up north. Besides, you don't even know if transferring is a real option for you at the moment as it may depend on your spring semester grades.

Ultimately this is your decision...but if I were you, I wouldn't transfer. Even if you have to "come back" for another 1.5 years, that is after all only 1.5 years. There are some things that affect you for the rest of your life (though one could argue going to HYCN could do the same). Seems like it is just a reaction to the moment though (albeit a prolonged "moment").

Hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby dood » Thu May 05, 2011 12:22 am

shoeshine wrote:I would stay put. Go to Japan and clear your head.


naw bro, i disagree. one life and it can be over in a flash...multiple friends dying from OD, brain aneurysm, car accident etc has taught me this. got to live for the moment...within reason...and it seems like u've thought this shit out. talk to ur fam before u go, but id venture ur dying dads gonna tell u to follow ur ambition and not wonder the rest of ur life "what if..."

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby glewz » Thu May 05, 2011 12:23 am

HYS or stay put - those are the only schools in which you have some sort of chance at international law.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby jarofsoup » Thu May 05, 2011 12:26 am

patrickd139 wrote:Standard advice is standard for a reason. HYS or stay put.

Also, IBThere'sNoSuchThingAsInternationalLaw.



I beg to differ. There is no such thing as international law unless you are working in Washington DC. Then maybe.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby shoeshine » Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 am

Not to derail thread but what is international law?

Treaties? United Nations?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby dood » Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 am

OP said "international human rights/public interest law" which is a pretty distinct area of law. OP is not silly 0L with wide eyes.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby Cupidity » Thu May 05, 2011 12:39 am

There are bad reasons to transfer.

Hating your school is not one of them.

Get the hell out.

hadokenstyle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby hadokenstyle » Thu May 05, 2011 12:42 am

X
Last edited by hadokenstyle on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saladfiend
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby saladfiend » Thu May 05, 2011 12:48 am

Um since when does UCLA rank first-year students? How do you know you were #3 after first semester?

hadokenstyle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby hadokenstyle » Thu May 05, 2011 12:57 am

X
Last edited by hadokenstyle on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emoticons777
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby emoticons777 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:25 am

hadokenstyle wrote:
saladfiend wrote:Um since when does UCLA rank first-year students? How do you know you were #3 after first semester?


You're right, it doesn't rank (and by that token, I wonder how Xeoh was so confident he was #1?).

But I know by an error of the career services office. Irell did Spring OCI, had a GPA cutoff as usual, but their "preference" was to talk to students in order of rank. The office made a list of the top 20-30 (I forget how many) in the 1L class. But someone goofed and ATTACHED THAT LIST to the sign-up sheet for people to cross out their names. Gossip ensued.


I would leave. Happiness is more important. My quality of life at my new school is MUCH better than my 1L school because I am happier with it regardless of the details.

Also, UCLA ranks 2Ls before clerkship hiring starts.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby Kretzy » Thu May 05, 2011 4:02 am

Hey OP:

Int'l law isn't fake, it's just amorphous (and weird to describe). It's not what anyone expects it to be, and it's tough to get from most places. That being said, 3rd in your class at UCLA doesn't foreclose international opportunities to you (all depending, of course: int'l work at firms are wide-open, public int'l law is probably viable, and int'l human rights work are all reasonable with your rank and school).

If you hate UCLA, I think the correct rationale is to apply to HYSCCNB and see what happens. I don't think it's worth transferring, opportunity-wise, for anything ranked below Stanford, but that's a personal position (I'm here at SLS and don't hate my current school). If you do abjectly hate things, NYU could be reasonable (at OCI, they'll look at you with your UCLA rank, and you'll get a BigLaw job if you want it).

Think about your international goals and talk to some profs and career folks at HYS - they'll be able to push you in the right direction(s). If you keep your rank, you'll get one of the top 3 (and probably both H and S) if you seek a transfer, so your goal should be in deciding where you'll be happiest and what schools will provide better opportunities for you.

hadokenstyle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby hadokenstyle » Thu May 05, 2011 5:26 am

X
Last edited by hadokenstyle on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby rose711 » Thu May 05, 2011 6:44 am

OP:

I think you should take action if you are so unhappy. Apply to all the schools you want to apply. Visit those schools and find out what the fit it like. Talk to the people there about your passion for international human rights and see what they can offer you. Don't worry about pissing people off in UCLA - I think your reason for wanting to leave may be related to a very real desire to get out of a situation that is not good for you personally.

You might want to include Columbia in your applications. Or at least look at them.

After you get accepted you can decide whether to transfer or not.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. You are managing quite well with a very tough situation.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu May 05, 2011 10:31 am

Whether or not the problem is you or your classmates, you need a new environment.

hadokenstyle
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby hadokenstyle » Thu May 05, 2011 3:10 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Whether or not the problem is you or your classmates


Lol

User avatar
Scribble
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:39 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby Scribble » Thu May 05, 2011 5:34 pm

I'm at UCLA too and I love it. So it's sad to read that someone is so unhappy here. It's understandable to be disappointed with your 1L experience and even LA; the city isn't for everyone. At least you were close to home and family during this difficult time.

On the other hand, you gave out a lot of information about yourself and I easily identified who you are. And know that you lied about a thing or two in your self-description. I'm sure others can identify you too, so next time you might want to be careful before you publicly share your thoughts that virtually everyone in your section is rude, unfriendly, not intellectual, fake, braggarts, Beamer-hungry, dicks, etc. :roll: (I wanted to use a winky face, why is there no winky face?)

I don't think people here are like that at all, but even if you do, people tend to be the same everywhere.

Anywho to answer your question: you should transfer.

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby Dman » Thu May 05, 2011 6:01 pm

I am a soon to be 3L at UCLA (come on Tuesday!!!) who has some delusions of delving into international law. I am also a transfer for what that is worth. For me, I hated my 1L section, being stuck in the same room with the same 80 people 5 days a week was miserable. I was extremely turned off by the clicks and groups, gossip and attitude of people. I had a dude go out of his way to make jabs at me last year. Result, I was top 5% he lost his scholarship, felt great.

Now I have transfered to UCLA, I enjoy all my classes all for my one 1L class I had to take to make up. IT was the same crap all over. A bunch of over eager students who are gunnin for the sake of gunnin. It might be that I am an outsider since I don't know them, but it is the same activity I experienced last year. My point is, 1L sucks and creates a crappy environment but it is not representative of 2L/ 3L People seem to chill out after the OCI meat grinder. Just my opinion.

Now onto the international law part. I have significant domestic and international work experience (aprox 10 years), Fed gov work involving international trade has always been my goal. What I have found is that, on the West coast networking is tough. I am on numerous listserves and groups and get regular invites to fantastic networking opportunities....all in DC :( . If I did not have immediate family concerns, I should of relocated to the east coast because that is where the action is (NY or DC). What I have been left with is, I have my 2L summer which I landed a Fed DC gig and UCLA offers a UCDC program that lets me have a semester there to work and network. This feels like a bandaid fix to what I need in terms of a career. Long story short, get to the east coast if you can, connections and internships are everything and you really only can do that there.

TL;DR Transfer, Go GT NYU , Columbia or HYS.

User avatar
VinceIrons
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby VinceIrons » Fri May 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Hahaha, I could almost copy your rant word for word to describe how I'm feeling at my school. Though I'm a a significantly lower ranked school, and just hoping to break T20 when I transfer :lol:

I'm not in the best position to give advice, but one thing you should think of is job opportunities after you graduate. More specifically, will you be able to get a great job that you'll love far far away from UCLA once you graduate that you wouldn't be able to get if you transfered to the east coast? Toughing it out for another two years might be worth it in the long run. That's something I'm having to consider where I am too. I've no doubt that if I stay at my current school I can graduate top 10% at least and get a good job, only problem is, that job is likely to be in the NY area, and I don't have much interest in that. I'd much rather transfer up to a school that will give me a much broader geographical area to work in. If UCLA can for sure give you your dream job, but you're not too sure about your prospects elsewhere, sucking it up and suffering through could be the best choice. Of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going ahead and applying to transfer. Best thing to do is to apply, see where you get in, and figure it out from there.

ogurty
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 am

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby ogurty » Fri May 06, 2011 1:33 pm

hadokenstyle wrote:
saladfiend wrote:Um since when does UCLA rank first-year students? How do you know you were #3 after first semester?


You're right, it doesn't rank (and by that token, I wonder how Xeoh was so confident he was #1?).

But I know by an error of the career services office. Irell did Spring OCI, had a GPA cutoff as usual, but their "preference" was to talk to students in order of rank. The office made a list of the top 20-30 (I forget how many) in the 1L class. But someone goofed and ATTACHED THAT LIST to the sign-up sheet for people to cross out their names. Gossip ensued.


You got this story wrong. OCS never ranked the students.

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby koalatriste » Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm

hadokenstyle wrote:I have to remind myself that you aren't stuck with your section for the rest of law school. Most people in my section annoyed the hell out of me. They were rather unfriendly, rude, and often tried to one-up me in front of professors and each other. There were a handful of us in a study group that did well 1st semester, and we were pretty easy-going and never bragged, but almost everyone else that did well was a dick about it.


+1. +1. +1. +1.

i'm in a similar situation at Cornell and i hate it. Best of luck with your transfer as well.

UnCoeurSimple
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Transferring because you're sick of your current locale?

Postby UnCoeurSimple » Fri May 06, 2011 11:16 pm

So bragging (yours, in the post & in real life, contrary to your assertion), thinking the world is the problem & not you, thinking you're somehow better and less annoying than everyone else here & that your motives are purer & that you're the only intellectually curious one - wait, I forgot, you did apologize for being a dick. So that's supposed to make it all better?

Hating people won't make you a good lawyer.

To set the record straight, UCLA is an amazing school with great, sharp, and compassionate people who are here for all sorts of reasons.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.