lateral transfers for family reasons

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ronroad

lateral transfers for family reasons

Postby ronroad » Sun May 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Hey all first time poster here. I'm currently in a 50-70 ranked school looking to transfer back to the West coast so I can more easily visit ailing family members. I do not have my class rank yet but I'm guessing I'm somewhere in in the top 40%. Where can I realistically transfer to? I'm basically looking for a school where I can drive or take a short/cheap flight back home a couple times a month. My family lives in Southern California so obviously USD, Loyola, Pepperdine are all on the radar. Does anyone think UNLV can maintain or improve its ranking? It's tied with USD now but it doesn't really feel like they are the same in terms of quality.

Also, are Arizona State, Hastings and Davis out of my range?

If anyone thinks I'm aiming too high or low, or if you think I'm overlooking anything please let me know. Thanks.

reverendt

Re: lateral transfers for family reasons

Postby reverendt » Sun May 01, 2011 1:37 pm

As long as you're in the top half of the class I don't think a lateral transfer is a problem.
I had a classmate at my 50-70 school who transferred to a similarly ranked school to be closer to family, and I don't even think he was in the top 50%....he struggled a bit the first year.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Davis is going to be a huge reach for you but you might as well apply and hope you get in. You should be able to get into at least a couple of the schools on your list.

ronroad

Postby ronroad » Sun May 01, 2011 11:31 pm

thanks for the input. Seems like I'm looking in the right direction then.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Tue May 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Good luck. I'm at a low T1 away from home (~Top 25%) and need to go back to DC for family reasons and also am just trying a lateral move with a few reach schools in mind as well. Hope it works out. I've heard it hasn't been too difficult if you're doing decently at your current school and have ties to the area.

hadokenstyle

Postby hadokenstyle » Thu May 05, 2011 1:14 am

Loyola is a great school and has some stellar faculty. It's also located near a lot of good things in the heart of downtown. I've gone to some events there and it's a laid back place. I do not know how the recent grade bumps are affecting job prospects... don't it'll really matter though.

comments.expert

Postby comments.expert » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 pm

I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."
8)

autumnaesthetic

Postby autumnaesthetic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm in almost the same exact circumstance. Top~40% at a Midwest Tier 2. Too give you an idea, so far I've gotten into USD; still waiting on Loyola and Pepperdine. I didn't apply to Davis because it was too far from relatives in SD.

Return to “Transfers”