Transferring Timelines Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
soaponarope

Bronze

Transferring Timelines

Post by soaponarope » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:00 am

I used the search function and read the relevant threads, but I still have some questions.
My target schools: Application due by 7/1 and must be completed by 7/15.

Questions

#1: When should I send in the application? Prior to my Spring grades? Or should I wait until I receive my Spring grades?

#2. In regards to the letter of good standing. This letter is sent to LSAC, correct? I imagine it will be a little awkward asking the
administration to mail this letter?

#3. Can I use the Official transcript from my undergraduate institution that LSAC received when I first applied to law schools?
-or do I need to send in another Official transcript?

#4. Where should I be in the Transfer process at this time?
-thus far, 1) I have my LORs secured, 2) my transfer schools scoped out. Other then that, I am just focusing on lawl school.

Thanks in advance...

CCN-S Transfer

New

Re: Transferring Timelines

Post by CCN-S Transfer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:06 am

#1: I would send it in prior to receiving your Spring grades, so long as you aren't rushing yourself to complete things like the PS. Get it in so they know that you're interested, and with a July deadline, it's possible that schools could accept some transfers who get their spring grades in June. You just want to be on their radar. Just don't rush anything, but try to get it in before the deadline.

#2: My guess would be that you send it to LSAC, but I don't know for sure. LSAC and/or the school you're applying to should tell you.

#3: as long as the official transcript you sent in the first time was complete (aka you didn't go straight to law school from undergrad and your first transcript has all your grades), then you can send that one.

#4: Sounds like you're in the right spot. Focus on law school and your grades to increase your chances of getting in. I'd advise starting your PS if you haven't already; sometimes it can take a while to make them good.

Good luck!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:02 am

#1 - It depends when your spring grades come out. But you should probably send before because of rolling admissions

#2 - For the letter of good standing: these don't go through LSAC, they usually go directly to the school (and the transcripts are a mixed bag; some go to the school, some to LSAC. Some schools have their own forms and for others you just use your school forms. Check your current school's website - they should have a procedure for this.

#3 - You only have to send a new undergrad transcript if you were a "straight through" and only updated your school with spring grades and not LSAC.

#4 - Since you're not applying EA/ED anywhere and not applying to schools with June deadlines (GULC, Berkeley), then you are fine. You may just want to get an idea of what each school requires and where it needs to be sent. Otherwise, just prepare to kill on exams again :).

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Just a few things to emphasize

1. Send it as soon as your PS is done. I was accepted before the school got my letter of good standing or my official grades from lsac. This leaves me to think that some schools have a pile of "admit unless terrible grades 2nd semester" that they kind of hold a spot for.
2. Letter of good standing definitely goes directly to the school. Ask for this sooner than later - I've heard a handful of stories about schools being incredibly slow (intentionally or not) about sending it. It's not awkward, your schools has to do it every year for students.
3. Agree with all of the above. I had to send my final undergrad transcripts to lsac because I applied to law school the first time before I graduated and only sent the final ones to my law school. Also, send in your law school transcripts from fall semester. You can update your transfer schools individually with your spring transcripts when you get them.
4. You're in a great spot. Complete your PS after finals. Also, if you think you have a great chance at getting into a specific school, try to scope out housing. Once you're accepted, the entire process goes by super fast so it is best to be prepared before hand. Also, check out the new school's OCI information and start getting prepared for that.

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

I actually filed my transcript request forms this week. I'm applying to 15 schools and the daily limit is 9 transcript requests. I sent them all directly to the schools because some required this and others say it can go through lsac but I don't have to do anything other than write another address on a form so it's easier this way.

I also filed for my letters of good standing this past Friday. Who knows how long they take but i doubt it will be more than 2 months.

I'm applying as soon as my letters of rec get processed by lsac. I ask the instructors to mail them by May 1 to lsac so they should be processed soon thereafter.

And I would definitely work on the Personal Statement as soon as possible. I've been drafting since December and it still is being tweaked by a couple of professors and a friend of mine who works at another schools admissions committee member.

Hope this helps, its been a long process and I don't really know how many people could do it within a month and maintain the quality of work worth the 75 dollar app fee.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 am

I was under the impression that the letter of good standing needs to be after spring grades come in? Is that wrong?

Edited to add

Received the following correspondence from a target school. Let me know if this isn't the best course of action:

"The transcript and the statement of good standing must be for your completed first year, so you would want to request your school to send them after the spring semester is completed."

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:41 am

mrosmith wrote:I actually filed my transcript request forms this week. I'm applying to 15 schools and the daily limit is 9 transcript requests. I sent them all directly to the schools because some required this and others say it can go through lsac but I don't have to do anything other than write another address on a form so it's easier this way.

I also filed for my letters of good standing this past Friday. Who knows how long they take but i doubt it will be more than 2 months.

I'm applying as soon as my letters of rec get processed by lsac. I ask the instructors to mail them by May 1 to lsac so they should be processed soon thereafter.

And I would definitely work on the Personal Statement as soon as possible. I've been drafting since December and it still is being tweaked by a couple of professors and a friend of mine who works at another schools admissions committee member.

Hope this helps, its been a long process and I don't really know how many people could do it within a month and maintain the quality of work worth the 75 dollar app fee.
^^Vastly overrates the importance of his transfer personal statement.

Yeah man - impossible to craft a good personal statement in a month's time.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 am

SpencerPratt wrote:I was under the impression that the letter of good standing needs to be after spring grades come in? Is that wrong?

Edited to add

Received the following correspondence from a target school. Let me know if this isn't the best course of action:

"The transcript and the statement of good standing must be for your completed first year, so you would want to request your school to send them after the spring semester is completed."
My school did them. I basically said if I'm not in good standing after next semester there's zero chance I can transfer anyway :lol:.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:29 am

Oh ok thanks. So the transcript is pretty much the only thing to request after the semester? It's just kinda difficult because most deadlines are md-June and grades won't be released until early June (then you need the LSAC to process them). I'm assuming schools know this and really just want your app, the money, and maybe LOR's before the deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”