Boalt Transfer Thread for Fall 2011

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
missinglink

Re: Boalt Transfer Thread for Fall 2011

Postby missinglink » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Anyone else get a status checker email today? Kind of odd that they'd be working on Sunday.

UR as well.

copyleft

Postby copyleft » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I just got my status checker email @ 9:00. UR as well.

Still missing one LOR though.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Personally, I think it's funny that Berkeley is so "black box" for regular admission apps, and yet they pretty much look at only grades and rank for transfers (at least, that's the sense I've gotten from reading past transfer cycle threads).

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Last edited by jstn1104 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:51 am

jstn1104 wrote:A friend of mine was accepted via phone call on Friday. Hopefully more calls will be coming this week!

Hopefully, some of us get calls today. Two acceptances on friday makes me wonder if they did a full round of acceptances (with little to none of us in that round), or just a partial one. I'll keep my fingers crossed today.

Tiresias

Postby Tiresias » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:43 pm

This is simply my intuition speaking, but I believe those of us who are "competitive" but not "sure fire bets" (by "sure fire bet" I mean Mid to upper T1 with #1 rank) will not get a phone call or email in the first round or two.

Consider this, Berkeley can dispose of the easy choices near immediately (on both ends of the spectrum). However, they wish to contact the "sure fire bets" in order to lock them in. It seems like Berkeley's MO to accelerate the process, therefore, requiring perspective students to commit to Berkeley, as opposed to a T6.

I am of the belief (and it is only a belief) that "competive" students (T1-T2 top 3-5%) will be given more or less the same weight. The deal breaker will be the perspective you bring to the "Berkeley Choir." How you add to the discourse, research, prestige, and culture of Berkeley. Berkeley seems in a group of schools (Michigan, Duke, Northwestern) that have a very specific philsophy towards its law school culture. Berkeley puts a lot of emphasis on this in its website and interviews with Deans. So, consequently, I believe that is what will separate people.

If we look at Arrow's article and other books and articles regarding transfer, it may seem as if softs are inconsequential. Generally speaking, they seem to only get a weight of 5-10% in the decision process. However, once you have made it past the "grade threshold" that 5-10% can be a deal breaker. Consider this, Berkeley allows for up to a four page personal statement. Why? Why not limit it to two? While it is wise to keep the PS concise, it may not be adequate to give a fleshed out picture of people's lives who are older and have extraordinary experiences that shaped their world perspective. That is what they are looking for.

I just wish to emphasize, softs do not replace grades or rank. However, when dealing with those within the threshold, softs shall flip the dynamic and become the deal breaker.

Good luck to everyone!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:27 pm

That strikes me as pretty much spot on.

I wonder if I erred by only sending a 2 page PS? Who knows. It would be a much easier wait for me if I were a little bit more in the "sure fire bet" category. :lol:

Tiresias

Postby Tiresias » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:08 pm

I understand your situation. Being patient is not easy, and it is something, I think, we all struggle with.

Through this entire process I have hoped for one thing, that I end up in the place right for me. The problem with that perspective is the place that is right for me, may not be the place I desire to attend. However, by having this perspective, I shall come out of this process feeling I have succeeded. I think it is important to have a perspective that will prevent any crushing blows.

As for your personal statement, I wouldn't worry. Better to have told a story that is to the point. I think there are a fair amount of people who will write four pages of dribble and that is certainly a negative.

I was lucky and had a great LW prof. He actually went over my personal statement over the phone with me. I was deeply concerned that my PS was too long. He disagreed and reassured me it was warranted and helped me make edits.

I have two reasons for my post. (1) I think a lot of people on TLS take the approach that stats are the end all be all. I don't think this is necessarily true. (2) A lot of people on TLS strike me as being very young (or maybe to be more accurate, immature). There is a lot of posturing (this is a very nice way to put it) and provide perspectives that do not demonstrate they have learned from the University of Life. Therefore, I take their perspectives with a healthy grain of salt.

Here is a hypo to help illustrate my point. I want to make clear that neither of them describes my own experience.

Student A: Attends a lower T1 school and got into the 3rd percentile. Student A is very young. Maybe no or limited WE (year or two). Writes a PS primarily about student A's law school experience.

Student B: Attends a mid to lower T2 school and got into the 4th percentile. However, Student B is older. Has a unique life experience (e.g. fought in the Iraq war, lived and worked in an area of global conflict, or has a masters).

If you were on the selection committee, who would you choose?

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Student from the T1?

Tiresias

Postby Tiresias » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Valid opinion, and I know you are not saying that as a personal bias. I don't know if there is a right answer. That is why we are on this board merely speculating.

The question is why choose one over the other? Place yourself in the shoes of the selection committee. What makes an applicant stand out? What are you looking for in transfers? Even more fundamental, why are you accepting transfers in the first place? A school like Berkeley already has a concentration of brilliant minds, so what would you be looking to add to that?

These are just questions I asked myself while working on my app. I do not claim to have any answers. The committees may very well choose Student A over Student B, because they view the school as having a more rigorous program. That could very well be the deal breaker for them.

Here is another important question. How do the committees view differences in the schools? People seem to get very hung up on what tenth of the USNWR rankings their school is in (e.g. 30-40, 50-60, 80-90). They may very well be important, however, in all my research, I believe these subdivisions are more important to us then to them. It seems from TLS and yahoo transfer apps that the committees take a much broader approach then that. The focus is more on class rank. Perhaps if your are at the cusp of one of the Tiers, it may make a difference.

Here is another thing to consider in all of this. How inclined is a 5th percentile student at a solid T1 to transfer, and to which schools? Again, from what I have researched, people in those positions generally apply to HYS and CCN. Generally anything below is not perceived to be worth it. There is too much to lose (LR, Connections with faculty and students, outstanding position to take advantage of OCI). Again, given what I have researched, T1 students who apply to T7-14 are generally 10th percentile or lower.

Again, these are just things to consider. For my own part, they help bring a little perspective to this process.

I wish you the best of luck my friend and to all of you!

maf70

Postby maf70 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Fairwell blind seer of Thebes.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 pm

According to last year's thread, people from T2 and even T4 schools were accepted on the 17th. I don't think we can call anyone from a T4 a definite admit for Berkeley. Because of that, I don't think Berkeley accepts the over qualified candidates prior to the rest of their first round of acceptances, or at least, they did not seem to do that last year.

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Last edited by jstn1104 on Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

rorystewart

Postby rorystewart » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:06 pm

I'm bummed. I think it's over for all of us who went UR before the 15th. Calls clearly went out on Friday. It's probably for reasons of chance and a smaller participant list in the thread that none of us were included in the first wave. I re-read last year's thread. No one who wasn't admitted after 5 days from his/her UR date made it. Oh well.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:12 pm

It's quite possible the universe of people in or following this thread doesn't include anyone admitted.

I would suspect, however, that there must be someone involved or lurking who is (a) a strong candidate, and (b) not yet admitted. I'd figure we would have heard much more by now if they were generally admitting people.

This is all speculation, though.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Wonder if Berkeley is taking a smaller transfer class or basically only taking CA people. It's odd because it seems like they admitted a ton of people on the board last year.

Tiresias

Postby Tiresias » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: Rory

The idea of the 5 day turnaround decision is not a hard and fast rule. You see a decent amount of people in the last half of the thread who got a response in more then five days. So I wouldn't be do hard on yourself. I think there is still good reason to hope.

According to last years thread, responses were coming in till July 8th. If we don't hear something by the end of the month, then it is more realistic to close that door. My guess is we will here a wave round the end of this week (with some trickling in during the week) and another at the end of the month. It is important to note, that those who got accepted later generally came from mid to upper T1.

Another thing when comparing this year to last. June 15th was a tuesday last year. I wouldn't discount the difference a day may make when dealing with 200-300 apps.

Also, somethings to keep in mind.

Arrow gave a great overview of the composition of his transfer class. He said the majority was T2-T4.

Arrow also gave the average class rank of the various tiers

T3/T4, top 1-2% (usually ranked 1 or 2)
T2 - top 5%
T1 - top 10%
Higher T1's/low T14 - top 15 -20% (they came for geographical preferences)

However, these are not hard and fast rules. Here is an interesting example

One student was top 12% at a T2. But apparently amazing softs (was very active in the law school).

I said it once, but I will say it again, Good luck everyone!

Lastly, nothing is written in stone, but Berkeley seems pretty consistent in the number of transfers. It is possible that they over filled their spots, but the numbers are pretty consistent.

jstn1104

Postby jstn1104 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah, I don't think all hope is lost. I'm guessing they only admitted a small number on Friday. Hopefully some calls will be going out this week.

Haskell83

Postby Haskell83 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Went UR on the 21st and just got the acceptance email. Great news!

lawfuture10

Postby lawfuture10 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Haskell83 wrote:Went UR on the 21st and just got the acceptance email. Great news!

Congrats! Stats?

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Haskell83 wrote:Went UR on the 21st and just got the acceptance email. Great news!

Congratulations. I am officially jealous now! Anyone else get acceptances? Just checking if a bunch went out or only a few.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:

Congrats! Stats?

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 pm

Last edited by maf70 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm

maf70 wrote:No acceptance yet, but I guess I dont have much of a shot. TTT, Top 2-3%. Went under review on June 7.

Top 2-3% at a TTT has a shot at Boalt. No guarantees, but you should not count yourself out yet.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Last edited by maf70 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Transfers”