Boalt Transfer Thread for Fall 2011 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zomginternets

Silver

Boalt Transfer Thread for Fall 2011

Post by zomginternets » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 am

Application sent in on 4/1.

1L School rank: T3
1st Semester GPA: 3.92 (will update when spring grades come out)

Good luck y'all!

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Boalt Transfer Thread for Fall 2011

Post by Tanicius » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:43 am

Good luck to you, hopefully see you there next Fall!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:17 am

Good luck all.

Apply the 1st day the app opens and as soon as you get your grades e-mail admissions with the damage and follow up with your final transcript.

lawfuture10

Bronze

Post by lawfuture10 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:38 am

How important is it to get the application out now? As opposed to say, a month from now immediately following exams?

Additionally, should we attach an unofficial transcript with the application right now? Or have the school send a transcript now, and then again after spring grades come in?

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:54 am

lawfuture10 wrote:have the school send a transcript now, and then again after spring grades come in
I'm doing this. I figure it can't hurt, and it might get you put into the "good pile."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:45 am

Lawl Shcool wrote:Good luck all.

Apply the 1st day the app opens and as soon as you get your grades e-mail admissions with the damage and follow up with your final transcript.
Well, the app opened yesterday, so that's not happening :lol:. But I am going to try and get everything out before the end of April. The 4 page PS seems a bit daunting. Do they really want your life story? Or can it be the standard "why Transfer/why Berkeley"?

ETA: First semester - T2/3.8+

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Yes it is vitally important to send your app as early as possible. Admissions is very open about the fact that it is a HUGE advantage to do so and probably the only reason I got in.

I would send your app now with only 1st semester grades, then as soon as your grades are released e-mail those to them, and then obviously send your official stuff (but this is often dependent on how quickly your current school moves). They will use unofficial transcripts send via e-mail to make decisions.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:51 pm

Any chance you can answer my question about the PS (you can PM me if you want)? I get the importance of applying ASAP and that's the only real thing in my way right now (besides waiting on my LOR's to get into LSAC).

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:58 pm

FWIW, I just sent in a tailored 2-page PS, which touched on my background, my reasons for going to law school, my experience at my current law school, and a pretty long "why Berkeley" section. I think unless you have a particularly compelling story to tell, you shouldn't do a 4 page PS just because that's the page limit--in fact, I think it would be detrimental to your admission chances to drone on about something only tangentially relevant to your desire to transfer. But that's just my two-cents.

Edit: Excellent numbers by the way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:01 pm

zomginternets wrote:FWIW, I just sent in a tailored 2-page PS, which touched on my background, my reasons for going to law school, my experience at my current law school, and a pretty long "why Berkeley" section. I think unless you have a particularly compelling story to tell, you shouldn't do a 4 page PS just because that's the page limit--in fact, I think it would be detrimental to your admission chances to drone on about something only tangentially relevant to your desire to transfer. But that's just my two-cents.

I'll second the "quality over quantity" argument.
Granted I'm not a transfer, but I got in with a barely longer than 2 page PS that included a good section on why Berkeley is amazing.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:45 pm

zomginternets wrote:FWIW, I just sent in a tailored 2-page PS, which touched on my background, my reasons for going to law school, my experience at my current law school, and a pretty long "why Berkeley" section. I think unless you have a particularly compelling story to tell, you shouldn't do a 4 page PS just because that's the page limit--in fact, I think it would be detrimental to your admission chances to drone on about something only tangentially relevant to your desire to transfer. But that's just my two-cents.

Thanks, you too. Your GPA kills mine :lol:.

I didn't think I needed to hit the page limit, but I was just curious to see what some of last year's applicants did. The instruction seems to want to know everything about you, so I'm like :? .

I think my chances of getting into Chicago are pretty bad, which is why I'm preparing apps for pretty much the T13 - HYS + GULC (RD).

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:55 pm

Does Boalt's transfer app come out earlier than most t14s??

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:59 pm

My PS was an overview of 1L, why I wanted to transfer, and why berkeley was a good fit.

I wouldn't put too much thought into making it the full 4 pages, I believe mine was barely 3. They are not necessarily looking for anything different than other schools are but give you the extra space to tell your story in case you need it (lots of people here have diverse and accomplished backgrounds).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarryn

New

Post by sarryn » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:28 pm

I have a few questions.

I have a recommendation letter from one of my professors here, and it's uploaded on LSAC. I used that letter to apply to WUSTL/GULC Early Action. I just requested a second one from another professor, and she won't have it out for at least another week. So, should I wait until LSAC receives her letter and then upload my application? If not, does anyone know whether or not LSAC has an option that lets you submit an application with one rec letter and then update the completed application with the new rec letter? Alternatively, can I just use the rec letter I have on LSAC already and then use another one from when I was originally applying to law schools a year ago, or is that bad form?

mbusch22

Bronze

Post by mbusch22 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm curious as to your first questions as well. As for sending out old LORs from your initial admissions cycle, I'd venture to say absolutely not. Schools want LORs from your law professors.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Boalt requires 2 letters of recs from professors. Other schools allow 1 non-law professor rec, but either way transfer schools want a rec that will speak to the skills you've picked up as a 1L. So yes, no prelaw recs.

thrillerjesus

New

Post by thrillerjesus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:59 pm

Not to start the anxiety early, but has anyone gotten an email yet with a password to check application status?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 pm

thrillerjesus wrote:Not to start the anxiety early, but has anyone gotten an email yet with a password to check application status?
Nope. And I've been checking 7-8 times/day too..

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 am

FYI the first wave of acceptances comes via phone call so be on the lookout mid-June for a call from a 510 area code.

sarryn

New

Post by sarryn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 am

That kind of sucks. My second semester grades probably won't even be out until mid June. I assume other schools do it earlier?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:50 am

sarryn wrote:That kind of sucks. My second semester grades probably won't even be out until mid June. I assume other schools do it earlier?
According to people who applied last year, just send your first semester grades and you can send the your second semester grades when you get them and that they will make decisions off of a second semester unofficial transcript.

Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for my LOR's to get into LSAC and then I'm sending everything. Should be in the next week or so (hopefully).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:27 am

keg411 wrote:
sarryn wrote:That kind of sucks. My second semester grades probably won't even be out until mid June. I assume other schools do it earlier?
According to people who applied last year, just send your first semester grades and you can send the your second semester grades when you get them and that they will make decisions off of a second semester unofficial transcript.

Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for my LOR's to get into LSAC and then I'm sending everything. Should be in the next week or so (hopefully).
Doesn't even need to be an unofficial transcript, just an email with your grades. Sorry if that's what you meant by unofficial.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Lawl Shcool wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Doesn't even need to be an unofficial transcript, just an email with your grades. Sorry if that's what you meant by unofficial.
That's basically what I meant :). (I made my own form, but it's basically the same thing)

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:57 am

Definitely will be applying here.

Applying early is probably a good idea, but I won't be applying till mid-May. Way I see it, it is not worth spending time on applications (especially the personal statement) when I would be better served by studying for finals or getting some R&R. Plus, Boalt does not send out acceptances till June. Anyone with a completed application in May will probably not be disadvantaged. Yes, it is best to get the application in early, but unless you completed all the materials early in the semester, it is probably best to apply after finals.

Good luck everyone.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:12 pm

Last year I received my acceptance call in mid-June, within a week after sending in an unofficial email with my Spring grades. Don't worry too much about how long it takes to get them back. I'm pretty sure that a decision was made before that and the dean was just waiting to see if I survived that second semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”