Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BitterB9
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby BitterB9 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:52 pm

I'm currently top 7% at Cooley and would like to get back to Ohio. What are my chances for Case Western?
Thanks for the help.

Oblivion_08
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Oblivion_08 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Bitter, you are new to this site, you are going to get hounded by a lot of people who think Cooley is a terrible school, and that the ABA should shut them down. I don't know much about it, but I want to go to a school in CA that is similar to Cooley. Get ready to hear a lot of negative stuff about Cooley and your life decision to become an attorney, don't get upset about it, as snarky and snobby they sound, they really are trying to help you, in the only way they know how. Good luck.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 am

To everyone calling flame, this is the Transfer forum. There is a place for hating on Cooley, I might even agree that it's warranted, but it's not here.

Harp on 0Ls for asking about chances of transferring from X school v. Y school if you want, but an obscene amount of students transfer out of Cooley after their 1L year and constructive advice can be useful to them. This being the Transfer forum, it's generally a "substantive advice or GTFO" mentality.

OP: First, congrats on surviving the slaughter that is Cooley. Keep your grades where they're at or higher and you've got a real shot at doing what most people from Cooley should be doing: getting the hell out.

I'm not familiar personally with Case's transfer policies, but in the aggregate, top 7% at a T4 should put you in a pretty good position. Keep your nose to the grindstone to finish out this semester strong and start getting your LORs now from professors who know you and can attest to your ability to succeed in any law school. I'll defer to others' opinion on specific chances at Case. You might call their admissions office though and find out.

GL and congrats on your first semester success!

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:45 am

I was about to say top 7% might have a shot at OSU. But then I remembered Cooley matriculates over 1500 law students each year or something like that. Assuming the number is 1500, top 7% would mean OP is around #105 in his class ? :shock: ... #105 in a typical law school class size of around 300 would be just outside the top 1/3.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13556
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Flips88 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:49 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:I was about to say top 7% might have a shot at OSU. But then I remembered Cooley matriculates over 1500 law students each year or something like that. Assuming the number is 1500, top 7% would mean OP is around #105 in his class ? :shock: ... #105 in a typical law school class size of around 300 would be just outside the top 1/3.

Also he's top 7% at a school where the LSAT median is 146 and GPA median is 2.99.

BitterB9
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby BitterB9 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:52 am

Wow. That was awesome. I guess I walked right in to that.
But I am trying to utilize some options that I didn't have a year ago and would like some feedback. As far as the Ohio thing goes, I guess I have no excuse for that.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again.

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby maf70 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:02 am

If you want to get back to Ohio, apply to Case and Cincinatti. I think that Ohio State will probably be out of range for you. Honestly, transfer admissions are a toss up. Your school's name won't help you, but your ranking just might. Do your best and good luck.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:12 am

patrickd139 wrote:To everyone calling flame, this is the Transfer forum. There is a place for hating on Cooley, I might even agree that it's warranted, but it's not here.

Harp on 0Ls for asking about chances of transferring from X school v. Y school if you want, but an obscene amount of students transfer out of Cooley after their 1L year and constructive advice can be useful to them. This being the Transfer forum, it's generally a "substantive advice or GTFO" mentality.

I want to second patrickd on this, and add something that he can't.

The hammer. I has it.

Those of you actually giving advice, please carry on.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Regionality » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Top 7% at a large school is the same strength as top 7% at a small school. In fact, it's more predictive because the sample size is larger so natural variation is reduced (eg top 7% at Washington and Lee, a much small school, is less reflective of your "true" ranking if you repeated your 1L attempt 100 times verse everyone else) Your logic that that makes him only "top 100" or so is flawed, because the inverse can be said, which is that he still beat out 1400 students, all of whom are trying their hardest to succeed as well.

What matters more is that Cooley's LSAT and UGPA numbers are SO weak that the target transfer school may only find top 5% attractive.

Top 7% at a T4 has a shot at Case and Cinci. Keep up the hard work, STAY in the top 10%, and transfer the F* out of there asap.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Regionality wrote:Top 7% at a large school is the same strength as top 7% at a small school. In fact, it's more predictive because the sample size is larger so natural variation is reduced (eg top 7% at Washington and Lee, a much small school, is less reflective of your "true" ranking if you repeated your 1L attempt 100 times verse everyone else) Your logic that that makes him only "top 100" or so is flawed, because the inverse can be said, which is that he still beat out 1400 students, all of whom are trying their hardest to succeed as well.

Top 7% at a T4 has a shot at Case and Cinci. Keep up the hard work, STAY in the top 10%, and transfer the F* out of there asap.

Your logic is a little off in the first part of that post, given the caliber of student who matriculates at Cooley, but I'm all about getting the hell out.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Regionality » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:12 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Top 7% at a large school is the same strength as top 7% at a small school. In fact, it's more predictive because the sample size is larger so natural variation is reduced (eg top 7% at Washington and Lee, a much small school, is less reflective of your "true" ranking if you repeated your 1L attempt 100 times verse everyone else) Your logic that that makes him only "top 100" or so is flawed, because the inverse can be said, which is that he still beat out 1400 students, all of whom are trying their hardest to succeed as well.

Top 7% at a T4 has a shot at Case and Cinci. Keep up the hard work, STAY in the top 10%, and transfer the F* out of there asap.

Your logic is a little off in the first part of that post, given the caliber of student who matriculates at Cooley, but I'm all about getting the hell out.


Haha I actually edited my original post right before you posted this where I noted that what's more important is how weak the student body at Cooley is...

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:19 pm

If OP has a convincing reason as to why he/she wants to be in Ohio, I would recommend at least applying to Ohio State.

However, unless something is wrong with OP, OP should get Case.

User avatar
mpj_3050
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Being from Ohio, I would love to weigh in. Op, if I were in your shoes, I would gun really hard for Cincinnatti. I would much, much rather pay sticker at Cincinnati than at Case Western. Should these two not work out, what about Cleveland State? And you might as well apply to OSU b/c no harm could come from it. Best of luck to you!

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby esq » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 pm

I would guess that Case is easily within your reach. As many have already pointed out, pretty much everyone in your shoes - top 10% - transfers out of Cooley. I think that just being in the top ten percent at a school that is known to be demanding, in that they flunk quite a few people out, shows that you have what it takes for The OSU too - at least I would give it a shot if I were where you are at.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Regionality wrote:Top 7% at a large school is the same strength as top 7% at a small school. In fact, it's more predictive because the sample size is larger so natural variation is reduced (eg top 7% at Washington and Lee, a much small school, is less reflective of your "true" ranking if you repeated your 1L attempt 100 times verse everyone else) Your logic that that makes him only "top 100" or so is flawed, because the inverse can be said, which is that he still beat out 1400 students, all of whom are trying their hardest to succeed as well.


While this is true, the problem is top 7% at Cooley still consists of 104 other students. There are only so many seats open for transfers at other schools and practically everyone at Cooley wants to transfer out. Top 10% at most schools is good (although at Cooley there is the issue of the quality of law students), but absorbing 150 Cooley students in even the t30 schools would be a lot of seats to give away to Cooley students. That's why I don't think OSU is within range at top 7% (see the first sentence of my previous post). Not saying Case isn't within range though.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Regionality » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Regionality wrote:Top 7% at a large school is the same strength as top 7% at a small school. In fact, it's more predictive because the sample size is larger so natural variation is reduced (eg top 7% at Washington and Lee, a much small school, is less reflective of your "true" ranking if you repeated your 1L attempt 100 times verse everyone else) Your logic that that makes him only "top 100" or so is flawed, because the inverse can be said, which is that he still beat out 1400 students, all of whom are trying their hardest to succeed as well.


While this is true, the problem is top 7% at Cooley still consists of 104 other students. There are only so many seats open for transfers at other schools and practically everyone at Cooley wants to transfer out. Top 10% at most schools is good (although at Cooley there is the issue of the quality of law students), but absorbing 150 Cooley students in even the t30 schools would be a lot of seats to give away to Cooley students. That's why I don't think OSU is within range at top 7% (see the first sentence of my previous post). Not saying Case isn't within range though.


Yea this is why top 5% might actually be the golden zone-- we just don't really know. To OP: Do the best you can, try to rise in the ranks, and then definitely apply to the Ohio schools as you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you say in top 7% I say you have a coin-toss chance at Cini and Case (but that's me just guessing based on TLS chatter, no inside information whatsoever)...if you can bring it up to top 5% slightly better...if you drop much at all that a problem because as has been previously said, each percentage point drop means there are 15 more students ahead of you trying to find a place in a non-Cooley school.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Regionality wrote:Yea this is why top 5% might actually be the golden zone


Maybe... Top 5% would put OP at #75 in his class, so there are still 74 other Cooley students ahead of him looking to transfer out. That's still a lot of Cooley students to absorb in the transfer market (still not saying that case isn't possible, but OSU might still be long shot, especially if a good number of those other 74 students that would be ranked higher than OP apply to OSU).

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Didn't someone last year from Cooley post about how no professors would give him an LOR to transfer and the school was playing shenanigans giving him a transcript so he could transfer? OP...you may want to be discrete as long as you can about this...

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:34 pm

blowhard wrote:Didn't someone last year from Cooley post about how no professors would give him an LOR to transfer and the school was playing shenanigans giving him a transcript so he could transfer? OP...you may want to be discrete as long as you can about this...

I was just about to type this. I'm too lazy to look for the thread (apparently I didn't subscribe to the thread like I thought), but I know that transfer had a lot of trouble getting LORs from professor, so I would start ASAP (if you haven't already). Good luck, I think that the Cooley transfer from last year ended up at a school he wanted to be at.

User avatar
Hank Chill
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Hank Chill » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Bump.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13556
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Flips88 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Hank Chill wrote:Bump.

:?:

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Hank Chill wrote:Bump.

:?:

User avatar
classix
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:09 pm

April Fool's?

JCUGuy0428
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby JCUGuy0428 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 am

Given the possible negative connotation that might come along with a JD from Cooley, I would recommend transferring to any Ohio school possible (if that is where you want to work) - OSU, Case, Cleveland St, Cinci, (does Dayton have one?), Capital, Toledo, Ohio Northern...just see what you can get. It can't hurt. Some of those schools aren't the best, so you'd have to make a decision, but will having a school other than Cooley on your JD benefit you in finding a job? It's possible/probable in some cases, especially if you continue to do well at the school you transfer to...

Midleton
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Re: Top 7% at Cooley to Case Western?

Postby Midleton » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:35 pm

I transferred from Cooley to a T30 last year. I was in the top 10%, but had a much stronger LSAT than most people at Cooley - in fact it was roughly a median score for my T30. I simply had a terrible UGPA.

I was able to get my transcripts sent without a problem, although I did know of a student who had a letter of good standing sent that erroneously stated he was not in good standing. Also, the first professor I asked for LoR wrote one for me. If you ask around you'll meet some people who know people who have transferred and they will be able to tell you which professors will write a LoR. As I'm sure you know, some professors at Cooley refuse to write LoRs for transfer purposes.

I'm not the only person from Cooley to transfer to a T30, so it is possible. Good luck.




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.