T2 to T2 in hometown

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SoCow

T2 to T2 in hometown

Postby SoCow » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey everyone. I currently go to school just about an hour and half away from my hometown. Lately, I have been seriously considering transferring back to my hometown school (similarly ranked).

There are a ton of pros in favor of transferring to my hometown. 1) I will be living rent and utility free which means I'll be saving $12,000/yr in loans. 2) I'm engaged and my fiance is currently in my hometown. 3) I love my hometown's weather and the city

The things that are holding me back from making the transfer is that I will lose the opportunity to participate in Law Review and OCI during my 2L. Additionally, I feel well connected and comfortable with the student body at the school that I am currently at. After spending an entire year with the same people, I feel that I can rely on them for anything such as study groups, advice, and especially networking.

Will I be giving up more than I will be gaining by transferring? Is it crazy to be making a lateral transfer? Any advice is very appreciated!

patrickd139

Re: T2 to T2 in hometown

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Do you want to practice long-term in your hometown? If so, how were your job prospects 1L summer in your hometown coming from your current school?

Why do you lose the opportunity to compete in the write-on for LR and OCI?

SoCow

Postby SoCow » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Do you want to practice long-term in your hometown? If so, how were your job prospects 1L summer in your hometown coming from your current school?

It would be ideal for me to work in my hometown. I didn't really focus on finding jobs in my hometown during my 1L because I was fortunate to land an internship in my current city very early in the job search. However, I don't expect it to be significantly more difficult for me to work in my hometown after graduation.

From my understanding, as a transfer I would not be able to participate in LR or OCI for my 2L year but I would be able to during my 3L. Am I mistaken?

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:15 pm

If you were so worried about getting back to your hometown why didn't you get a job there over the summer?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:31 pm

SoCow wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Do you want to practice long-term in your hometown? If so, how were your job prospects 1L summer in your hometown coming from your current school?

It would be ideal for me to work in my hometown. I didn't really focus on finding jobs in my hometown during my 1L because I was fortunate to land an internship in my current city very early in the job search. However, I don't expect it to be significantly more difficult for me to work in my hometown after graduation.

From my understanding, as a transfer I would not be able to participate in LR or OCI for my 2L year but I would be able to during my 3L. Am I mistaken?

This definitely varies from school to school, but I don't personally know of a single school that prohibits you from participating in 2L OCI. The closest to this I've heard of is Fordham, which prohibits transfers from participating in their earliest interviewing week. But it doesn't sound like you're planning transferring to Fordham.

As for the journals, pretty much the same story. There might be logistical/intellectual stamina problems with writing on if the school's write-on competition happens to start right after finals end, or you might have to go through the write-on process before you know whether you've been admitted, or you might have to go through the process right before school starts in a separate transfer student write-on competition, thus interfering with OCI. In each of those scenarios though, you should be able to land some journal, if you're substantively good enough to make it.

Plan of action: call your hometown law school and ask their admissions office about this specifically. What kind of internship (i.e. firm, DA's office, judicial, corporate) were you able to get this summer?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

I transferred to Loyola Law School Los Angeles and wrote onto Law Review. I was recently elected Articles Editor. The Editor-in-Chief next year is also a transfer.

SoCow

Postby SoCow » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 pm

patrickd139 wrote:This definitely varies from school to school, but I don't personally know of a single school that prohibits you from participating in 2L OCI. The closest to this I've heard of is Fordham, which prohibits transfers from participating in their earliest interviewing week. But it doesn't sound like you're planning transferring to Fordham.

As for the journals, pretty much the same story. There might be logistical/intellectual stamina problems with writing on if the school's write-on competition happens to start right after finals end, or you might have to go through the write-on process before you know whether you've been admitted, or you might have to go through the process right before school starts in a separate transfer student write-on competition, thus interfering with OCI. In each of those scenarios though, you should be able to land some journal, if you're substantively good enough to make it.

Plan of action: call your hometown law school and ask their admissions office about this specifically. What kind of internship (i.e. firm, DA's office, judicial, corporate) were you able to get this summer?

I just assumed law review was out of the question because at my school the write-on takes place immediately after finals, therefore not allowing me write-on at the transfer school if they also started after finals. Thanks for clearing that up!

I was offered a judicial externship for the summer. It seemed like a great opportunity and I committed to it.

What are some negative impacts that I might face when making a lateral transfer? I could only think of the lost connections that I have developed this past year. Has anyone had any difficulty making the transition to a new law school?

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Of course some people have had difficulty transferring to a new school. This is law school. Some people succeed and other people fail.

No one will care that your school is similarly ranked.

Return to “Transfers”