LOR Advice? Asking a spring prof who hasn't graded you yet Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jumpojumpo

New

LOR Advice? Asking a spring prof who hasn't graded you yet

Post by jumpojumpo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:22 am

Last edited by jumpojumpo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsltyf

New

Re: LOR Advice? Asking a spring prof who hasn't graded you yet

Post by lsltyf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:43 am

jumpojumpo wrote:Dilemmas:

1) Don't feel comfortable asking fall semester profs for a letter.
Footnote: grades were good, but not #1 in the class, didn't have a solid relationship with my A grade profs, but had excellent relationships w/ A- grade profs. Don't want to ask A- profs for a recc. because I'm thinking the letter might not have the "he's the best we have to offer, please take him" tinge to it.

2) Have performed really well in class discussion this semester and have a very good relationship with the prof.

3) But need to get these damn LORs written and she won't know my grade for the class until laaaate May.

Anyone with a similar experience, or, general thoughts from people getting LORs right now?

If I do ask her I'll probably bring tons of stuff for her to look at (resume, transfer essay... maybe a writing sample from LRW?) Ideas on how to approach this?

THANK YOU!
I know that is seems odd to ask a teacher who you had in the fall but overall I think it is the best idea. It will allow you to get the letter before you leave school for the spring, and will avoid an email ask to your current professor. Which they can totally avoid since they won't see you everyday. I went to my K professor (granted I did get the book award) and it wasn't awkward at all. He didn't really know me, but knew I did well in the class but I don't think the relationship you have really matters.

I would set up a meeting with the coolest teacher for which you had the highest grade. Send them an email saying I wanted to get some advice on my career from you. Have the LSAC form ready and just ask.

Hope this helps good luck!!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:46 am

Don't ask a professor that you have this semester unless you had him/her last semester and got an A. Also, before asking your A- professors, I would go to the A professors just to get their thoughts. If they don't seem to approve of transferring or are cold to you when you talk to them, and act like they wouldn't write you a positive letter, then go to the A- professors.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 am

I can't imagine that a LOR from an A- prof would be a bad thing.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:28 am

Cupidity wrote:I can't imagine that a LOR from an A- prof would be a bad thing.
I can guarantee that it's not.

What matters most is really solid, personalized recs. The difference between an A and an A- matters a lot less than whether the prof actually knows who the hell you are (and whether that's a good thing).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jumpojumpo

New

Post by jumpojumpo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

Last edited by jumpojumpo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gov

Bronze

Post by gov » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:41 pm

jumpojumpo wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I can't imagine that a LOR from an A- prof would be a bad thing.
I can guarantee that it's not.

What matters most is really solid, personalized recs. The difference between an A and an A- matters a lot less than whether the prof actually knows who the hell you are (and whether that's a good thing).
Does this mean you'd go with the spring semester teacher who knows you over the fall semester ones who don't?

Thanks for the advice all.
jumpojumpo wrote:but had excellent relationships w/ A- grade profs.
He means ask the A- ones bc they know you

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:48 pm

jumpojumpo wrote:Does this mean you'd go with the spring semester teacher who knows you over the fall semester ones who don't?
govorett wrote:He means ask the A- ones bc they know you

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:17 pm

vanwinkle wrote: What matters most is really solid, personalized recs. The difference between an A and an A- matters a lot less than whether the prof actually knows who the hell you are (and whether that's a good thing).
+1. The prof will write the rec based on your class participation and your discussions with him in his office hours. The idea with recs is to allow the transfer school to get a feel for what the student is capable of outside of that 3 hour exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Should one look to get letters of rec before finals or just wait till after finals?

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:48 am

I got the best letter ever from my Spring prof a month into class. He and I just really hit it off, and he could tell I was smart. Besides that, he saw my GPA from first semester. Combining his knowledge of me from personal and professional conversations with the objective GPA info was more than enough to make him happy to write a letter.

CAHopeful

Bronze

Post by CAHopeful » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:13 am

I'm in a similar position, and any feedback would be very much appreciated. I actually need two LORs from members of the law faculty for some of the schools I'm applying to. I'm planning to ask my LRW prof. for the first one and am confident she'll be willing to write a very strong letter.

I didn't utilize office hours as much as I should have last semester, and the one professor I have in mind from the fall who could possibly write the second one not only has a longstanding history with the school, but is in a very high-ranked position there as well (thus, I'm worried there would be a high conflict of interest). Conversely, I've really bonded with one of my professors in particular from this semester and have seen him privately in office hours many times. I'm just worried about having him write it without a grade in his course first.

I suppose another option is waiting until after grades come out (seems like this would really be pushing it time wise, though), but I'm working out of state this summer and would like the opportunity to meet with them in person if possible. Thoughts?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:46 pm

CAHopeful wrote:I'm in a similar position, and any feedback would be very much appreciated. I actually need two LORs from members of the law faculty for some of the schools I'm applying to. I'm planning to ask my LRW prof. for the first one and am confident she'll be willing to write a very strong letter.

I didn't utilize office hours as much as I should have last semester, and the one professor I have in mind from the fall who could possibly write the second one not only has a longstanding history with the school, but is in a very high-ranked position there as well (thus, I'm worried there would be a high conflict of interest). Conversely, I've really bonded with one of my professors in particular from this semester and have seen him privately in office hours many times. I'm just worried about having him write it without a grade in his course first.

I suppose another option is waiting until after grades come out (seems like this would really be pushing it time wise, though), but I'm working out of state this summer and would like the opportunity to meet with them in person if possible. Thoughts?
If the choice is between a professor from fall who barely knows you, and one from spring who you feel you have a great connection with, I'd take the latter. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I'm a 1L in the same boat with you. But I think if all a professor is going to talk about is how you wrote a great exam, that's not the best option, since they will already know you wrote a great exam from your transcript.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an opinion on which would be the better option for me:

Prof A - Knows me very well, have talked one-on-one a number of times about my goals, etc. Got an 'A' in the class.

Prof B - Doesn't know me as well, and haven't talked to Prof. B in a couple of months. Chatted with Prof B. after class a few times, but didn't do much office hours. Also got an 'A' in this class, but Prof B said mine was the "highest 'A'." My school doesn't have CALI awards, so having Prof B write a letter would be the only way to let schools know this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Why not get LOR's from both?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:29 pm

True... I didn't mention Prof C, who already is writing a letter. I guess there's no harm in getting three, other than overcoming my own laziness.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Wholigan wrote:True... I didn't mention Prof C, who already is writing a letter. I guess there's no harm in getting three, other than overcoming my own laziness.
Better to ask earlier than later. Mine aren't into LSAC yet and I already gave my profs the forms weeks ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”