Transfer from T3 to T1?

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigmnstyle

Transfer from T3 to T1?

Postby bigmnstyle » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Hey guys,

I am currently in top 12% of my class at a T3 school in Cali. Received a CALI in legal writing and I have strong letters of rec. All A's and a B- in Property :(

I am expecting to receive about 13,500 from my school and confident I will reach law review.

My question: Is transferring to a T1 school worth passing up the money and law review?

Type of school I am thinking of is a Fordham or Cardozo in NY.... or Wash U in STL. I am originally from St. Louis and could put together a good PS for that school.

I also thought about applying to UC Irvine even though there is not much info about the school in what successful transfer's stats were.

Last, was thinking of applying to Pepperdine and Loyola as safeties but I doubt with scholarship money and law review that I would leave my school. Any opinions there?

zomginternets

Re: Transfer from T3 to T1?

Postby zomginternets » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 pm

I wouldn't choose Loyola or Pepperdine over a scholarship + law review. I personally don't think its worth applying to "back up" schools as a transfer--you're sacrificing too much (1L grades, scholarship, law review, professor LORs, etc) by transferring to a school you aren't that hyped about.

I think as long as you are in the area you want to practice, it's not worth it to transfer unless it's a ~T20 school--I don't think employment prospects as a transfer are any better than being in the top 5-10% at your current school. Of course, if not, that's a different matter.

Note on Fordham: transfers can't participate in their early interview week for OCI. Since big firms interview during this time, it basically means you're shut out of biglaw by transferring to Fordham (if that is your goal).

maf70

Postby maf70 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:41 pm

You should have applied EA to WUSTL.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:45 am

I did apply EA to Wash U... sorry about the typo above. If accepted to Wash U, I probably will go because I have solid connections in STL and it is a T20.

I did not know that about Fordham. My goal is big law whether it come right after school or a few years after. Thanks for the heads up there.

Any recommendations on schools to take a look at in New York or California that I would have a shot at getting into?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Basically, I think the only CA schools worth transferring to are Stanford, Boalt, USC and UCLA. Stanford is almost certainly out of reach unless you are #1 at your school, and Boalt is probably out of your reach unless you are within the top 5% of your school. Going by the general advice on this board, top 12% at a T3 might not cut it for UCLA/USC. I think top 5-8% will greatly improve your chances.

For NYC, Cardozo, Brooklyn Law and Rutgers (NJ) are possibilities, although they are in same tier as Pepperdine and Loyola. (Obviously Columbia and NYU would be awesome, but again you'll need to be within top 5% to do it.) But if you want to practice in NYC, it's worth it to transfer there than stay at your current school. Fordham I think would be a realistic reach for you, but as I mentioned, being shut out of early interview week is a major bummer.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks a lot.

How does Fordham do with placing in big firm if you are in the top 50%? I tend to not look at the school's websites but haven't done much research on Fordham. Any idea?

Last question: Staying at a T3 and graduating at least top 15%...how likely is it to get into big law after a few years?

Verity

Postby Verity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm

FWIW, I read that WUSTL is decreasing their class size, which may or may not affect the transfer pool. But with your grades, reccs and a good reason in your PS, you should have a decent shot.
Last edited by Verity on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

I know this person.

He will not be able to say in his applications that he is top 12 percent. In fact, I kinda doubt he knows this for a fact. The school will report him as top 20 percent, barring some major improvement in his GPA that will put him in the top 10 percent.

I hope he gets into WUSTL.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm

Ha.

I talked to the dean about that. He said it was ok to put how far you are from the top 10% in your application. I know a friend in top 10% and I am .1 away from him in GPA. It will be reported as top 20% but I explained that I am very near the top 10 in my application and on my resume.
Last edited by bigmnstyle on Mon May 23, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Danteshek wrote:I know this person.

He will not be able to say in his applications that he is top 12 percent. In fact, I kinda doubt he knows this for a fact. The school will report him as top 20 percent, barring some major improvement in his GPA that will put him in the top 10 percent.

hey bigmnstyle...your buddy is kind of a douche.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:08 pm

bigmnstyle wrote:Thanks a lot.

How does Fordham do with placing in big firm if you are in the top 50%? I tend to not look at the school's websites but haven't done much research on Fordham. Any idea?

Last question: Staying at a T3 and graduating at least top 15%...how likely is it to get into big law after a few years?

From what I recall, Fordham actually places pretty well in biglaw in NYC. Remember that it's very difficult to lateral in biglaw firms--you either get it straight out of law school or you don't get it at all. If transfers were able to participate in early interview week in Fordham, it would be a great place to transfer to; but you can't, so it's kind of a crappy place to transfer to for biglaw.

For biglaw, if you are within top 5% at a T3, I think you should stay unless you get into Boalt, USC or UCLA. There are few biglaw firms interviewing on T3 campuses, but you stand the best chance of being hired. But I think the sheer number of biglaw firms interviewing Boalt/USC/UCLA overcomes your advantage at your T3 school.

If you are in top 15-20%, then it's more difficult a choice. You are much less likely to get a biglaw offer from your T3. Top 15-20% of a T3 will enable you to transfer to Loyola or Pepperdine--and they have more biglaw interviewers than your T3--BUT, you will be seen a median student at those two schools for 2L OCI interview purposes, and I don't think that will cut it for biglaw at Loyola/Pepperdine. Of course, top 15-20% is not good enough to get into Boalt/USC/UCLA.

Basically, if you did your 1L year at a T3, your chances of getting biglaw either through a T3 or transfer school diminish rapidly after top 5%.

littlepiggie818

Postby littlepiggie818 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread from you OP. But I am curious about this as well. What's the likelihood of transferring to Boalt and UCLA or Chicago/Northwestern from a T3? I attend the same school as OP and is unsure of my rank as well.

bigmnstyle

Postby bigmnstyle » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 pm

No prob fire away.

If you don't mind me asking...I know you said you are unsure of your actual rank but are you in the top 10%. I have heard top 10% gives you a shot at UCLA and USC... If you are in the top 10%--do you mind private messaging me your gpa? I have found someone within .03 of me in top 10 but it would be great if I found someone even closer.

BTW, I am assuming many people from top 10 will transfer out and those right outside of the top 10 will fall within it. It would be nice if you could apply as a transfer AFTER people transfer out and your rank increases.

And off the top of my head (other people that have been helping me may be able to help you a little better) getting into Chicago as a transfer from our school is extremely hard. I have seen someone that attended a T3 get into Chicago on Yahoo transfer apps but she/he was in top 2 %. If you are in top 5%--I think you should apply to all of them and hope for the best.

Northwestern still values work experience with their transfers.

j7108

Postby j7108 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:07 am

maf70 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:I know this person.

hey bigmnstyle...your buddy is kind of a douche.

+1000

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:11 am

Fordham will not let you participate in OCI. To be more technically correct, they won't let you participate in the first week of OCI, which is when all the biggest law firms come and interview. You'll be allowed to participate in the later, far less important OCI events.

Transferring to Fordham is a terrible idea for this reason alone, if you want to work for a law firm.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:11 am

zomginternets wrote:Basically, I think the only CA schools worth transferring to are Stanford, Boalt, USC and UCLA. Stanford is almost certainly out of reach unless you are #1 at your school, and Boalt is probably out of your reach unless you are within the top 5% of your school. Going by the general advice on this board, top 12% at a T3 might not cut it for UCLA/USC. I think top 5-8% will greatly improve your chances.

For NYC, Cardozo, Brooklyn Law and Rutgers (NJ) are possibilities, although they are in same tier as Pepperdine and Loyola. (Obviously Columbia and NYU would be awesome, but again you'll need to be within top 5% to do it.) But if you want to practice in NYC, it's worth it to transfer there than stay at your current school. Fordham I think would be a realistic reach for you, but as I mentioned, being shut out of early interview week is a major bummer.

I would not rule out Davis and Hasting in California. They are to great schools and if OP is in state then it could mean that he can pay much less $ to go to school.

Return to “Transfers”