Transfer from TTTT to NYC schools Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zazelmaf

Bronze

Transfer from TTTT to NYC schools

Post by Zazelmaf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 am

My wife got accepted into college in NYC and I obviously want to transfer to be with her. My first semester GPA was around a 3.3-3.4 (school doesn't rank until end of the year, average GPA is 2.5) and I am pretty sure I am going to do better this semester, based on amount of time studying and finding out about what I did wrong the first time around. Would I have good chances in getting into schools in NYC?

I am considering NY Law School, St. Johns, Fordham, would love NYU or Columbia if my grades were stellar this semester, which I am really planning on them being, but that's hard to say. Also considering Cardozo or Brooklyn. Pretty much anything in NYC. Also, I want to practice in NYC after graduation, so I feel that moving there now and attending law school there would give me a much better opportunity to do that.

I am currently in the northeast, if that helps.

I am wondering if I would have a good chance at being able to transfer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by Zazelmaf on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

tourdeforcex

Bronze

Re: Transfer from TTTT to NYC schools

Post by tourdeforcex » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:31 am

is there a question somewhere there?

lawschoolwonderful

New

Post by lawschoolwonderful » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:01 pm

I live in NY and am in the process of transferring to another school as well.

If you are hoping for NYU or Columbia you better get your GPA up to a 4.2 and have went to a well respected undergrad our they won't take you. The same might be the said for Fordham but to a slightly lesser degree.

I know people at my school that have 3.5's that got shot down by Brooklyn. So I would think a 3.4 is not going to do it for BLS or Cardozo.

I can't say I've looked into St. John's or Hofstra much, but I would imagine a 3.4 might cut it if your rank is good.

I'd say you have a better shot at New York Law School, Pace, and CUNY Queens. Out of those I'd go with CUNY because the tuition is so low. That being said, so are the job prospects. Hope this helped.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Brooklyn/Cardozo will be your targets. Fordham is your reach. I do not think Columbia/NYU are realistic. Do not transfer to NY Law/St. John's/Pace/Suny/Hofstra etc. Not worth it.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm

What about Rutgers and Seton Hall on the other side of the Hudson, just to increase the number of applications?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:My wife got accepted into college in NYC and I obviously want to transfer to be with her.
I can't get past this part. Please tell me you mean grad school, not college.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:26 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Zazelmaf wrote:My wife got accepted into college in NYC and I obviously want to transfer to be with her.
What`s your problem?

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:43 pm

baboon309 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
What`s your problem?
I think Picco is used to thinking that college is only for 17 and 18 year olds fresh out of high school. That type of one-size-fits-all approach to education is outdated. Some people don't go to college right away, for whatever reason. Some people join the military or have to work right out of high school and then decide to go back later. I think Picco is ignorant to the fact that everyone is different.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:54 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
baboon309 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
What`s your problem?
I think Picco is used to thinking that college is only for 17 and 18 year olds fresh out of high school. That type of one-size-fits-all approach to education is outdated. Some people don't go to college right away, for whatever reason. Some people join the military or have to work right out of high school and then decide to go back later. I think Picco is ignorant to the fact that everyone is different.
Yeah, apologies. For some reason I had a knee-jerk reaction thinking the OP's wife was significantly younger than him. I didn't mean to offend, honestly, I thought the college part was a typo or something. :/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm 29. Planning to propose in a couple of months to my girlfriend who just turned 20. You have a beef?

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”