FTT to...elsewhere in NY Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschoolwonderful

New

FTT to...elsewhere in NY

Post by lawschoolwonderful » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm at an FTT now, I finished in the top 10% and I have been accepted by BLS as a transfer. However, I already have 20k off at FTT and I'm confident they will offer me more. Add to that the fact that while at the FTT can live with my parents, roughly saving me 10k to 15k a year.

So the question is, is it better to stay at the FTT paying almost 40k less a year and have a solid chance at finishing in the top 10%; or is it better to switch over to Brooklyn and pay more and be in a more competitive atmosphere.

As far as the peripheral issues go, I don't particularly like FTT's school location. I would really like to live in Brooklyn / be closer to the Manhattan/ take part in the school's clinics, but I am concerned about incurring massive amounts of debt. Input would be much appreciated.
Last edited by lawschoolwonderful on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nyjfanjmk

New

Re: Touro to...elsewhere in NY

Post by nyjfanjmk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:34 pm

I guess the question is where do you want to work? If you want to work in the city, then you're definitely best going with BLS as Touro probably won't give you the same opportunities as BLS will. That being said, if you're comfortable working elsewhere, the cost of living is certainly going to be much less at Touro than at BLS (I've also been accepted at Brooklyn as a transfer and am cringing at the thought of COL, having lived in NYC before). So that's definitely something to think about.

taxnstuff

Bronze

Post by taxnstuff » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:45 am

If you want to work on LI(lol) and have connections for a job stay at Touro. If you want to live in the city go as far away from Touro as you possibly can. If you don't have connections for a job id say you will be in for some trouble after graduating touro, so you may be better off going elsewhere.

Personally I grew up here and would rather have a sex change than stay here so there is a bias in my opinion.

lawschoolwonderful

New

Post by lawschoolwonderful » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:51 am

The thing is, I'm somewhat indifferent to Long Island and Manhattan, I think I could be conceivably happy at either. Geography and culture aren't my main problems. My main concern about the FTT is I will work hard, finish in the top 10% and not have a job. My main concern about Brooklyn is I will work hard, go extremely into debt, then still not having a job. I just don't know if I will earn back the thousands I'll spend moving to Brooklyn and paying higher tuition as a result of going to the school. And as a side note I do have a job connection with one of the "Big Four" auditing firms who could get me a gig despite my FTT status, I just don't know if corporate or tax law is my thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”