Change in Rankings of Current School Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ConfusedLawMan

New

Change in Rankings of Current School

Post by ConfusedLawMan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:04 am

So, say im trying to transfer into a T14 school. Class rank puts you in the top 1-2% of your class.

Preferably would like to make it into the T6.

Is it going to make a difference if your current school changed in the rankings??

Say a jump from 55 to 45. (hypothetically -- going from a T2 to a T1)

What about a slip from 40 to 60. (Again, hypothetically - T1 to a T2)

What about a fall out of the T100 (T2 to 100-110, lovely with these new rankings up to 150).

How much of an impact are the current rankings going to have on a potential transfer? I feel like such a child even reacting to these dumbass rankings, but I gotta believe adcoms look at them...

Diamond

Re: Change in Rankings of Current School

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 am

ConfusedLawMan wrote:So, say im trying to transfer into a T14 school. Class rank puts you in the top 1-2% of your class.

Is it going to make a difference if your current school changed in the rankings??

What about a fall out of the T100 (T2 to 100-110, lovely with these new rankings up to 150).

How much of an impact are the current rankings going to have on a potential transfer? I feel like such a child even reacting to these dumbass rankings, but I gotta believe adcoms look at them...
No you are acting like a child.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 am

At least this isn't the usual post-ranking update "should I drop out because my school fell 5 spots" thread.

ConfusedLawMan

New

Post by ConfusedLawMan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
ConfusedLawMan wrote:So, say im trying to transfer into a T14 school. Class rank puts you in the top 1-2% of your class.

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:47 am

I'm interested to see what people think about this too, even though it is blatantly buying in to the misplaced power of USNWR rankings. It's not like the students at my school changed one iota from last week to this, but my school did drop 7 slots (28->35) even though it only lost 1 point in its score!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Classic response

uzpakalis

Bronze

Post by uzpakalis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 am

Regionality wrote:I'm interested to see what people think about this too, even though it is blatantly buying in to the misplaced power of USNWR rankings. It's not like the students at my school changed one iota from last week to this, but my school did drop 7 slots (28->35) even though it only lost 1 point in its score!!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:47 am

uzpakalis wrote:
Regionality wrote:I'm interested to see what people think about this too, even though it is blatantly buying in to the misplaced power of USNWR rankings. It's not like the students at my school changed one iota from last week to this, but my school did drop 7 slots (28->35) even though it only lost 1 point in its score!!
You think Columbia cares whether your school is ranked 28 or 35? C'mon now. Let me try to be very clear: no change in rankings will have any impact on any transfer.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 am

usnews and world report tactics are akin to modern day yellow journalism. for the past 24 hours, their unscrupulous methodology has got us talking about them nonstop. great marketing strategy

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:53 am

You really think the schools you are transferring to are that dumb? They know where you are transferring from based on its overall reputation that spans a long period of time. They don't think of it as inextricably linked from the number branded upon it by US News on any given year. The neurotic obsession people seem to have with minute changes in a school range where rankings mean close to zero does not carry over to the schools you will be transferring to.

drummerboy

Silver

Post by drummerboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 am

precisely my point

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:32 pm

All schools use a running average of the rankings over the last 7 years in order to admit transfers, so as long as the school's average didn't drop too much, you are good. If the average dropped a decent amount, there is no way you would be able to transfer, since the school you are trying to get into would now know that the quality of the law school you currently attend has diminished.

Seriously, this is one of those things where if you just think about it for a minute before posting about it, you would realize how ridiculous it sounds to think that a law school would completely change its transfer admissions process based on a change in the ranking from a single publication.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”